Tell me: Who made you fall in love with psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomad.Nerd

Reaction score
So, Here's my story:
Thought I was gonna be a radiologist until a while back but then psychiatry allured me in a way that I couldn't stop thinking about it, I do like radiology but I just think it would be a waste of my talents (I am a good listener and communicator, love hearing peoples' life stories, always had a great bond with my patients). This was a hard decision to make because my application is pretty much shaped towards Rads and I feel like I am very late to the game. I've decided to take a year off to do research and find my niche with a psych professor, and I'm looking for a mentor who loves their job and does it well, and is active in research. I figured a great entry criteria would be professors who made you fall in love with psych...I don't care where in the country but I would prefer to volunteer for bigger programs simply because it may lead to more publications and a broader experience.

P.S: Already googled lots of profs and labs, already have an excel sheet of potential professors. Please help me narrow it down by telling me about your experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

not an answer to your actual question, but you want to take a year off in between MS3 and MS4 to work in a research lab related to psychiatry? i'm only a MS4 myself but i don't think that would add anything to your application if you just took some psychiatry electives or do a psychiatry sub-I right now and get a clinical LOR out of it as well.

Reactions: 2 users
John Neumaier at University of Washington is doing some interesting things last I heard. Or maybe get involved with UW AIMS integrated behavioral health program. UW has a large residency program, also with tracks to Boise and Anchorage and Billings, MT so there would be a lot of options to get into that residency if you did a volunteer/research year at the program. But I agree with the above, you could probably just do a psych Sub I and get in without a research year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste a year.

Patient stories will eventually start to sound just like another wrist fracture, or PNA on a CXR. Try to see past the allure, the shiny, the bling of the light that is attracting you toward psych. Look 20+ years down the road, and image when its just another day at work, which one do you think you can clock in and out for?

I was impressed by radiology and tempted to go that route, but self reflection I realized I had a 10 year shelf life in that field before the routine would drag me down, but I could see myself doing psych for the long haul.

Don't waste a year. If any doubt, apply to both.

Reactions: 1 users
nobody inspired me. I was doing psychiatry before I was aware I was doing it, taking extra time to work through the difficult parts of the lives of patients on internal medicine and surgery. when patients asked to see me again, a lowly med student, other people noticed. people noticed before I did. it wasn't until a few attendings and residents mentioned it to me that I started to ever consider psychiatry.

just saying you don't have to fall in love to go for a specialty. it's just who I am. sometimes your DNA is a close match, and you find resonance, and that's good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user