telling employers about interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamorena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. i was wondering what people are doing regarding telling your employer about grad school interviews. i haven't told my boss that i have applied and have interviews yet. i have personal days, so it normally isn't a problem to get the time off.

however.. the east coast has gotten hit with a ton of snow this season, and i just had another interview postponed (this makes two :(). i feel like i should tell my boss what is going on, because i keep having to change my request off days. i'm getting worried that they will think something is up.

any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone. i was wondering what people are doing regarding telling your employer about grad school interviews. i haven't told my boss that i have applied and have interviews yet. i have personal days, so it normally isn't a problem to get the time off.

however.. the east coast has gotten hit with a ton of snow this season, and i just had another interview postponed (this makes two :(). i feel like i should tell my boss what is going on, because i keep having to change my request off days. i'm getting worried that they will think something is up.

any thoughts??
It depends on your relationship with your employer. My employer knows what's going on and is completely supportive. My employer knows that if I get into a program I will be leaving the company however if I don't I will be staying so as long as I am keeping them in the loop they're being cool with it

yeah.. i say honesty is the best policy.. unless you think it's going to burn you. it really depends on the boss, climate of the place you work at, and the industry even. (e.g. if i worked on wall street i wouldn't tell anyone). i work in a company that has an academic feel and a boss that is completely accepting of my career plans. it's idiosynchratic. best of luck.

before deciding to come clean i was making up excuses. wedding here, cable guy coming there. say the cable guy cancelled or something. doc appts cancel too. if you want to lie (completely necessary in some situations) just come up with plausable stuff and (like rob drydek says) be prepared to give the proper (not too little not too much) amount of detail to pull it off convincingly. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
i always also believe honesty is the best policy! i HATE lying, i am bad at it, and i feel really guilty when i do, so i rarely do it. that being said, i have been very general, saying i have an appointment that was cancelled. just not saying what kind of appointment.

the tough part is, and you have all alluded to it, the climate in which i work is not a very supportive one. i mean, i work with some very supportive people, and i know that if i told them, they would be excited for me, but i know for sure my boss would treat me differently and i would go home crying on several occassions (this has happened!!). she's the one who ulitmately creates the climate here and after working here for almost two years and what i know, i'm afraid to tell her these plans. it sucks, but its true.

ugh.

I get it. Because saying what you're doing will imply that you're hoping to leave at some point soon, which might not be what the boss wants to hear. But it doesn't mean you're leaving yet so you don't want to stir the bucket right now and make it an awkward environment. I've been curious myself on this. And I could never flat-out lie either.

i always also believe honesty is the best policy! i HATE lying, i am bad at it, and i feel really guilty when i do, so i rarely do it. that being said, i have been very general, saying i have an appointment that was cancelled. just not saying what kind of appointment.

the tough part is, and you have all alluded to it, the climate in which i work is not a very supportive one. i mean, i work with some very supportive people, and i know that if i told them, they would be excited for me, but i know for sure my boss would treat me differently and i would go home crying on several occassions (this has happened!!). she's the one who ulitmately creates the climate here and after working here for almost two years and what i know, i'm afraid to tell her these plans. it sucks, but its true.

ugh.

:(

My direct supervisor is a LCSW, but I had asked two other psychologists who I work closely with to write my letters of recommendation. I told my supervisor that I was applying as word travels quickly in my office and I wanted him to understand why I had not asked him for a letter. He was incredibly supportive. He has not asked for more specifics so I haven't provided.