Telling school that they're my only interview in letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaigantic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was waitlisted at the one school that I received an interview at this cycle. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to mention to this to the school in my letter of intent. As I understand it, a major impetus in accepting a candidate is banking on the fact that they would accept if offered a seat. What better way to guarantee that I will accept their offer when they start picking from the waitlist than if they know I literally have no other option? I know it sounds almost crass, but maybe with proper wording it can be appealing?

If it matters, it is a top 10 school. And for those who are wondering how one can have an interview at a T10 and nowhere else: I am a non-canadian international student, making it super difficult to get even an II anywhere :(

Thanks for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think a letter of intent would be helpful at all. They would already know you have no other options from the multiple acceptance report (or in your case, the lack thereof), would they not? So they know you don't have other acceptances, and they know you still want to go there because you haven't withdrawn from the waitlist. You won't be giving them any new information.

Also, many schools have a set waitlist where the order of pulls from the waitlist is already decided, so again if that's the case a LOI would not change anything.
This is a school that actively encouraged updates and such throughout the cycle so I'm inclined to say that the WL may not be set in stone. They also mentioned that its not ranked.

But you do have a point about the multiple acceptances report. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
What you’re referring to is an update letter, which can be good if they’re encouraged. Letter of intent means you tell them you pinky swear you’ll go there if accepted, which is not what you need and makes no sense without having other acceptances.

Try writing a concise and thoughtful update about what you’ve done since the primary app was submitted.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure. When I go on a date with a girl I let them know that they are the only girl that is willing to date me. It makes me more appealing. Correct?

Reactions: 7 users