Temp job or stay at retail?

Started by naseuy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

naseuy

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So you're a newish pharmacist, and got an offer for an inpatient temp position, would you be willing to take a 40k/year paycut from a retail job to do it?
 
So you're a newish pharmacist, and got an offer for an inpatient temp position, would you be willing to take a 40k/year paycut from a retail job to do it?

no, i worked at a hospital as a student for four years. hospital pharmacists are very busy too and the hosp i was at the rphs didnt even get a lunch break. they could eat while verifying rxs...for like 10 min though. taking a $40k is just not worth it in this market as a pharmacist.
 
Are there benefits involved, and what is the reason why it's temporary?

My full time position is actually a temporary position. I started last September, it's temporary because the person who originally had this position is on medical leave of absence and has until January 2014 to return. If they don't come back, the position would 99% likely go to me.

After 90 days I was eligible for benefits and union membership.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess it depends how bad you want hospital experience. I wouldn't trade a stable job for what you know is a temp job going in, especially for a $40,000 paycut. On the other hand, if you really, really can't stand your current job & are on the verge of quitting, then might as well go for the temp job and see what comes of it.
 
I do want some hospital experience, and the temp status allows me to leave after a certain time period, which is appealing to me.

For those with inpatient experience, have you noticed that there are more doors opened?
 
I do want some hospital experience, and the temp status allows me to leave after a certain time period, which is appealing to me.

For those with inpatient experience, have you noticed that there are more doors opened?

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to leave retail pharmacy if you think you will not make retail a 40 year career (and most do not). Today, if you do not have any clinical or hospital experience you cannot easily break into other fields without some prior experience. In my opinion, I would take the pay cut and figure out if you new job or not.

If you do not like it, it will open up other doors that you would not have if you just stay in retail.

Regards
 
In my opinion, it would be a good idea to leave retail pharmacy if you think you will not make retail a 40 year career (and most do not). Today, if you do not have any clinical or hospital experience you cannot easily break into other fields without some prior experience. In my opinion, I would take the pay cut and figure out if you new job or not.

If you do not like it, it will open up other doors that you would not have if you just stay in retail.

Regards

Thanks. I think I have made my decision 😀
 
Speaking of temporary- for those who have done them, how long are the gigs usually?

I'm looking for something over the summer months in Illinois. I know it's a saturated market but I am wondering if you all have tips on seeking them out.
 
It depends on how unhappy you are with that retail job. As for working through lunch in a hospital, you do at least get to sit down while you eat at your desk. All the money in the world isn't worth it if you ruin your physical or mental health, or your marriage or personal life for that matter.