Temperature decreases as the fluid moves faster?

Started by bored
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bored

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just listen to audio osmosis as a review and they were talking about how the Temperature decreases as the fluid moves faster. Can anyone explain how to make sense of that?
 
I always thought that segment was a little screwy on AO.

I remember it this way:

As fluid velocity increases, pressure drops. Pressure is caused by the collisions of the molecules of the fluid against the container. Temperature is a measurement of the random translational motion of the molecules. As pressure increases, so does temperature. Therefore, as fluid velocity increases, temperature decreases.

Or a more qualitative way to remember faster air=lower temp is that we pucker our lips before we blow on hot soup.
 
I can't remember perfectly, but didn't Audio Osmosis use something along the lines of the following explanation?: Both velocity and temperature are a measure of kinetic energy so it turns out to be something like a transfer of KE.