Temperature Screening = Clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeddd78893

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, hear me out

I see a lot of COVID screening positions popping up in my area. It's basically those people that sit at a table in the entryway and take your temperature before you enter. The specific job I saw is in a hospital and I ask about symptoms, take temperature, and remind people to wear a mask while following proper safety protocols. Is this a clinical job?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are these 100% patients? In any event, I'd lean to saying it was clinical.

It's everyone entering the hospital which includes hospital staff, family members, and patients. I bet patients would be the minority of those screened. Still clinical?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its stretching the line on clinical. I would hope this would be in addition to other clinical activities

300 hours of clinical volunteering.

I'm looking for other opportunities but the only jobs I've seen are clinical research coordinator positions. This doesn't help me as I have 500+ hours with clinical research. Medical assistants in my city need to be certified and most scribe jobs require certification as well. ScribeAmerica isn't hiring here. Got any other ideas for paid clinical work?

I'm looking for other opportunities but the only jobs I've seen are clinical research coordinator positions. This doesn't help me as I have 500+ hours with clinical research. Medical assistants in my city need to be certified and most scribe jobs require certification as well. ScribeAmerica isn't hiring here. Got any other ideas for paid clinical work?
Well your clinical hours are good, so I would take the job if you need the money. I was worried this might be a highlight of your clinical experience.

I think its stretching the line on clinical. I would hope this would be in addition to other clinical activities
It's a receptionist with a thermometer. It's in a hospital and it involves people, but, to me, clinical is stretching it. You're not involvied in treating anyone. In fact, if anyone has any symptoms at all, I'm sure they are sent away, not treated. How is that clinical????

Last edited:
Lol the hospital im at now... they use a thermal scanner and wave you along.

When the thermal thermometers were used, theyd scan your forehead without saying a word.

I def wouldnt think this was clinical.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol the hospital im at now... they use a thermal scanner and wave you along.

When the thermal thermometers were used, theyd scan your forehead without saying a word.

I def wouldnt think this was clinical.

It 100% will be this with a thermal scanner lmao

Do you have advice on what other clinical jobs I can get without certifications? @ciestar @KnightDoc @Goro

Psychiatric technician is something that you could try. You don't need a certificate to do this. The hospital trains you. You do more than just bathing, transferring, round checks, giving out meals, suicide watches (they have specific protocols) and post-mortem care. You chart and you get educated on the different mental illnesses that you will see on your ward; you get to do supportive counseling. You also see medicine in general. Many mentally ill patients have severe health conditions. So, it is basically a nurse's aid position with other interesting duties.

Reactions: 1 users
Scribing?

If you already have clinical exposure, why not take this job? Employment is always good.
This^^^^^^. Otherwise, to the extent it is permitted in your location due to COVID, regular volunteering in a a hospital or clinic where there is patient contact (transporting, assisting practitioners, etc.). As others have said, though, you are good on clinical hours, so why not work on other aspects of your application?

Scribing?

If you already have clinical exposure, why not take this job? Employment is always good.

Already have employment as a server and on campus! As you say, more clinical experience never hurts which is why I was searching. Thanks for the help & @KnightDoc

Psychiatric technician is something that you could try. You don't need a certificate to do this. The hospital trains you. You do more than just bathing, transferring, round checks, giving out meals, suicide watches (they have specific protocols) and post-mortem care. You chart and you get educated on the different mental illnesses that you will see on your ward; you get to do supportive counseling. You also see medicine in general. Many mentally ill patients have severe health conditions. So, it is basically a nurse's aid position with other interesting duties.

I have never heard of this before, but there are TONS of positions in the city that require no experience. This is exactly what I wanted so THANK YOU!

I have never heard of this before, but there are TONS of positions in the city that require no experience. This is exactly what I wanted so THANK YOU!

You are welcome! I did this during college. Just go to any of the psychiatric hospitals in your area or a hospital that has an inpatient psych unit and apply. Good luck to you!