Templates for newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gas13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just finished my intern year and have a whole year of just anesthesia ahead of me - looking forward to it. However, I`m feeling a bit disorganized as I start out getting my feet wet. So I have a few questions:

- Do any of you more experienced types have any tips on getting up to speed fast - which books to look at first in order to at least appear competent in front of staff in the OR? What type of reading schedule works well with a busy schedule?
- Consults - are there any templates that can be used to make sure you don't forget anything e.g. headings to organize your Hx/Px/data mining. What is your approach to the anesthesia consult?

Thanks a lot for helping out a fellow anesthesia resident just starting out.

Members don't see this ad.

- Do any of you more experienced types have any tips on getting up to speed fast - which books to look at first in order to at least appear competent in front of staff in the OR? What type of reading schedule works well with a busy schedule?

I actually liked secrets because it gave a little information on key points for lots of everyday stuff. it has some inaccuracies though. You can rip through it pretty fast. The new Baby Miller I thought was pretty good as well. I would try to read regularly every evening and for a few hours on the weekends. The key is to push yourself without burning out. A solid foundation now will make life much more pleasant when you are studying for the real boards.