Temple and Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebeclette

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the strenghts and weaknesses of these schools. I really liked both of them, I'm just trying to narrow things down. Overall I think I liked Jefferson better, but I really liked the people at Temple, and I felt they were more genuine.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I tried to ask the current students but I didn't get many replys.

Members don't see this ad.

I liked Temple quite a bit when I was there. Unfortunately I did not interview at Jeff. so I can't really compare them. But, one of the good things about Temple was that the students seemed pretty easy going and liked it there. They really seemed to get involved with lots of volunteer projects- more than just taking their exams. The curiculum seemed kinda standard though, I thought - meaning that you have many classes going on at once and sometimes you can be stuck with many exams at once. (I am interested in Pitt where classes are in blocks).

Anyways, Best luck with your choice!

Originally posted by Sean2tall
I liked Temple quite a bit when I was there. Unfortunately I did not interview at Jeff. so I can't really compare them. But, one of the good things about Temple was that the students seemed pretty easy going and liked it there. They really seemed to get involved with lots of volunteer projects- more than just taking their exams. The curiculum seemed kinda standard though, I thought - meaning that you have many classes going on at once and sometimes you can be stuck with many exams at once. (I am interested in Pitt where classes are in blocks).

Anyways, Best luck with your choice!

thats a pretty accurate description. the students here are mellower than at any of the other schools i interviewed at. we're all really happy. we're also very socially active -- theres something like 50 diff interest groups, and your average student is involved in at least 2 of them (thing im highly involved in: BLHO [latino interest], big friends [elementary tutoring], CATCH [turning hs kids towards health science], EMIG [EM interest]). its so cool to be amonst a population that has such a high sense of social responsibility. also, since the class size has been cut down, theres more finaid available per student. basically, its a testament to temples adcoms that they accept good people, not your typical douchebaggy premeds.

our curriculum is pretty standard, in that its more standard lecture instead of PBLs, though we frequently get clinical correlation lectures, workshops, etc. theyre really pushing the tech aspect of the school, so most of it is wireless ready, students are highly encouraged to get tablet pcs, and we always get cds with powerpoint lectures. yeah, you have many classes going at once, but i think of it as a strength, since im too ******ed to keep my focus on anything for a big stretch of time. our strength is that temple does a superlative job during the clinical yrs -- even drs from cali recognize this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got back from hanging out in Philly all week doing interviews at Drexel and Temple. I hung out with quite a few med students when I was there and I heard bad things about Jefferson. They said it's a really cut throat school and that at one point they had trouble with students sabotaging each other's work to compete for grades.

Temple on the other hand seemed really cool. The students seemed really laid back, and the first years I talked to said they have a lot of free time and lots of opportunities to work in the community. There's also a lot of emphasis put on clinical work and the teachers are there to teach, as opposed to other schools where the teachers really just want to do research.

Also, I think the patient base at Temple would be really interesting. They said they have an average of one gun shot per day at the hospital.

Jefferson's reputation as cutthroat comes from before they went to Pass/Fail grading and the block curriculum.

I interviewed at both Temple and Jefferson. I found Jefferson students to be very helpful and very nice, and I can say the same for Temple. However, I feared for my life at Temple (definitely did not feel that way at Jefferson). I don't know much about what residency committees think of Temple but I have heard from a lot of people that Jefferson is highly regarded by both admissions committees and physicians in general. In the end I really think that it is up to you, go with what your gut tells you 'cause then you will be the happiest!

p.s. jefferson also has a bunch of programs (I'm sure you heard about them at the interview)- JeffHOPE, JeffKIDS and JeffMOMS. if its early clinical exposure/experience that you want Jefferson is the school for you, but I must admit I'm biased, I'm going to Jeff next year

The atmosphere of comraderie and support among Jefferson students, faculty, and alumni, is probably among the strongest of any medical school in the U.S. Jefferson also has incredible clinical resources throughout the area; certainly superior to any other Philadelphia (certainly all Philly schools are strong here though). Match is also excellent. For me, it wasn't difficult to choose. I'll be at Jefferson in the fall.

for me it's jefferson over temple; i just didn't get a good impression of the students or the facilities when i was at temple. i know some current med students at jeff and they echo my opinion from the interview day -- it's a really good school. i just might go there next year :clap:

I interviewed at both, liked both a lot. Both are excellent places to get a clinical training. Temple seemed more 'inner city medicine'. Both have a more traditional than not curriculum. Both seem to do well in the Match, Jeff better from my cursory glance. Both seem to have very nice, laid back students, if that's your thing. The temple students seemed a little more laid back, but we're talking by a miniscule amount. The Jeff interview day was more organized, the facilities there are more cush.

If you get into both, go with your gut.

Anka