Nov 10, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
Today, I received an interview invitation from a good school in the New York area. I need to cancel one interview (either Temple, UMDNJ-Camden, or UMDNJ-RWJ) in order to accomodate this new interview. Can anyone please give me advice on which interview to cancel? I heard that Temple is not in the best area, but is it a good internal medicine program with good fellowship placement/EMR/a good hospital? Is one of the UMDNJ programs better than the other?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Today, I received an interview invitation from a good school in the New York area. I need to cancel one interview (either Temple, UMDNJ-Camden, or UMDNJ-RWJ) in order to accomodate this new interview. Can anyone please give me advice on which interview to cancel? I heard that Temple is not in the best area, but is it a good internal medicine program with good fellowship placement/EMR/a good hospital? Is one of the UMDNJ programs better than the other?
Camden is basically a community program in a horrible location. RWJ is a solid (but small) academic program with research opportunities. Temple is a hardcore "county" academic program in a crappy neighborhood with great pathology.

Cancel Camden.

Sep 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I concur, cancel UMDNJ Camden. Horrible area, one of the most dangerous in the US in fact!

Sep 22, 2010
Status
Camden without a doubt. RWJ is a good program near New York City. Temple is one in Philadelphia at least.

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Will the IM program at UMDNJ-Camden even exist or be part of UMDNJ by the time you complete it?

"Essex County was considered a loser in the deal because Newark-based UMDNJ will be forced to close its Camden program for third- and fourth-year medical students once Rowan’s new medical school opens. The $28 million in state funding UMDNJ receives annually for its Camden program will transfer to Rowan to help fund the new school."

I'd cancel Camden because if it ends up being Rowan's IM program, I wouldn't want to be part of it. For one, Rowan won't have a reputation yet, and two, Rowan/Cooper MS possibly shouldn't even exist:

"The agreement drew immediate criticism from Essex County lawmakers who alleged Corzine made a deal with George Norcross — the South Jersey political powerbroker and head of Cooper Hospital’s board — for political reasons in the months leading up to the gubernatorial election."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/officials_break_ground_on_camd.html

Sep 16, 2010
Status
By the time you graduate residency, you would have a diploma from "Cooper Hospital at Rowan University." It will be an entirely separate institution from UMDNJ, but will now be 100% linked to a medical school that will be just across the street from the hospital. I believe the first class will enter in 2012.