Temple BCHS Postbacc Program 2021-22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackofAllM@sterofNone

English Major turned Pre-Med
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wanted to make a thread regarding the 2021-22 application cycle for Temple's CST BCHS post-bacc program. I just recently landed an interview with them that is scheduled for Feb 16th. I wanted to know if anyone had any insight or tips to make this interview go well, especially since because of COVID, this will be a Zoom interview. Needless to say, I am a heap of nerves because Temple is my #1 school and I really want to get in and attend. It seems like the perfect fit for me. ANy advice/experiences are welcome!

Feel free to chat about where you are in the process as well.

Thank you in advance,

Jack

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! I have an interview with them on Feb 11 and I am both extremely nervous and excited (with other schools I have had 2 great interviews and bombed one terribly so I could perform one way or another, lol). There is another thread going around from 2020-2021 where an adcom member actually replies a few times.

I hope someone replies before my interview so I can get some guidance too, but if not I'll share my experience with you and this thread so you can be as well prepared as you can be. Best of luck to you and hey, maybe we'll be classmates!

Hey there! I have an interview with them on Feb 11 and I am both extremely nervous and excited (with other schools I have had 2 great interviews and bombed one terribly so I could perform one way or another, lol). There is another thread going around from 2020-2021 where an adcom member actually replies a few times.

I hope someone replies before my interview so I can get some guidance too, but if not I'll share my experience with you and this thread so you can be as well prepared as you can be. Best of luck to you and hey, maybe we'll be classmates!
Same here! Good luck and I hope to see you this summer!

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck tomorrow !

Ok, because it was just two of us in this thread, I just started a DM convo and sent over a write up of my experience. If anyone else is interested, please don’t hesitate to shoot me a message. I am happy to send it to you, I just don’t want to overly identify myself here since I know someone from the school was active in another thread. That said:

The interview day was a long but (I think) successful event. Lots of information about the school, and many really impressive candidates.

My 1-on-1 interview was extremely relaxed and pleasant. My interviewer was well versed in my application and personal statement, ajd made a point to bring up several things that they wanted to clarify or comment on. It’s strange because I have no idea how I did. I honestly wasn’t sure how to engage them as it was sort of like a conversation. I relaxed as it went on and realized that their comments were opportunities for me to expand, but early on it was hard to maneuver. I have had interviews that have made me feel invincible and others that discouraged me, this did neither. It did, however, it did make me look forward to this person’s class and make me want to spend a holiday dinner with them. Seriously, they’re really great.

The other sections were low key but nerve wracking, not because of the pressure but rather because you’re with potential classmates and that feels sort of like public speaking. That said, not once was I met with anything but support and engagement. The entire staff is passionate and excited about this program and that was a really cool (and comforting) thing to see. Also: I’d be very ok with being classmates and eating snowcones with everyone in my group. They were impressive and would be fantastic teammates on the premed dream team.

Things to know:

1) Know your application ahd personal statement. This is easy, it’s your story, but also know it. My interviewer quoted and made a joke about a line from it (it was pleasant because that was actually the point of that sentence in my statement).

2) Know who you are, like identity wise. What makes you tick and what your goal(s) is/are.

If anyone else sees this and wants to know more, by all means shoot me a message.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, because it was just two of us in this thread, I just started a DM convo and sent over a write up of my experience. If anyone else is interested, please don’t hesitate to shoot me a message. I am happy to send it to you, I just don’t want to overly identify myself here since I know someone from the school was active in another thread. That said:

The interview day was a long but (I think) successful event. Lots of information about the school, and many really impressive candidates.

My 1-on-1 interview was extremely relaxed and pleasant. My interviewer was well versed in my application and personal statement, ajd made a point to bring up several things that they wanted to clarify or comment on. It’s strange because I have no idea how I did. I honestly wasn’t sure how to engage them as it was sort of like a conversation. I relaxed as it went on and realized that their comments were opportunities for me to expand, but early on it was hard to maneuver. I have had interviews that have made me feel invincible and others that discouraged me, this did neither. It did, however, it did make me look forward to this person’s class and make me want to spend a holiday dinner with them. Seriously, they’re really great.

The other sections were low key but nerve wracking, not because of the pressure but rather because you’re with potential classmates and that feels sort of like public speaking. That said, not once was I met with anything but support and engagement. The entire staff is passionate and excited about this program and that was a really cool (and comforting) thing to see. Also: I’d be very ok with being classmates and eating snowcones with everyone in my group. They were impressive and would be fantastic teammates on the premed dream team.

Things to know:

1) Know your application ahd personal statement. This is easy, it’s your story, but also know it. My interviewer quoted and made a joke about a line from it (it was pleasant because that was actually the point of that sentence in my statement).

2) Know who you are, like identity wise. What makes you tick and what your goal(s) is/are.

If anyone else sees this and wants to know more, by all means shoot me a message.
This has been so helpful! My interview is on Thursday and I am so nervous!

I see some more life in this thread so I'll keep it going! Good luck to everybody interviewing, and thanks for the insights @microwavecoffee ... my interview at Temple is next week. Can't wait to hear how things go for you all -- sounds like @JackofAllM@sterofNone had your interview today?? Congrats!

I see some more life in this thread so I'll keep it going! Good luck to everybody interviewing, and thanks for the insights @microwavecoffee ... my interview at Temple is next week. Can't wait to hear how things go for you all -- sounds like @JackofAllM@sterofNone had your interview today?? Congrats!
I have mine in a few hours later this morning. I work the night shift and will have my interview at 11:30 this morning. Will defintely update you all and answer any questions you have!

Good luck to everyone applying!! I am a current BCHS student and here to help you in whatever way I can! Please don't hesitate to comment or message me with any questions. I know the application process can be quite the rollercoaster but hang in there! It will all be worth it in the end. Just be yourself and be proud of the person you are because your story is important and does matter! Seriously, you've got this!

Good luck to everyone applying!! I am a current BCHS student and here to help you in whatever way I can! Please don't hesitate to comment or message me with any questions. I know the application process can be quite the rollercoaster but hang in there! It will all be worth it in the end. Just be yourself and be proud of the person you are because your story is important and does matter! Seriously, you've got this!
I have so many questions. Could you DM me? I will post them here too in case anyone else had similar or the same questions.

how hard was the interview?
What do you think got you in?
What's day to day life like?
Did you take out private loans or find other ways to pay?

I have so many questions. Could you DM me? I will post them here too in case anyone else had similar or the same questions.

how hard was the interview?
What do you think got you in?
What's day to day life like?
Did you take out private loans or find other ways to pay?
We can do it both ways! I'll answer here and message you.

1) I didn't think their interview was hard at all. It was a very organized, structured day but was done in a fairly laid back, welcoming way. I was fortunate enough to interview right before all the shut downs started so got to do everything in person. There were only about 10 of us on my interview day but we started with an info session and then followed with a Q&A session with past students, went to do our actual interview portion, had lunch and did more Q&A with current students, and finished with a tour of the school. My first interview was a one-on-one with a member of the leadership and the next was myself with one other applicant and the dean. My first interview we went over my application, did the typical strengths and weaknesses conversation, and talked about some more logistics of the program as far as how rigorous it is, what resources are available, and ways to navigate the post-bacc year. With Dean Hershman it was all about why medicine and our personal backgrounds. She even asked me if I had any connections to the area because I was an out of state applicant and she wanted to let me know that if I did not have connections to the area, that wouldn't mean I did not have a support system because the leadership would be there to help.

2) What got me in? My stunning good looks and charming personality. Totally joking!! I think I got myself in just by being myself and being open and honest during the process. As I mentioned earlier, your story truly does matter. They are not going in to these interviews looking for reasons to deny you but are wanting to get a better feel of who you are as a person so they know what you need to succeed. It is important to remember that by offering you an interview they already see your potential and believe in you and your ability to succeed.

3) Day to day has differed every term so I can send you more specifics but bottom line days are filled with classes, labs, and studying. We do also have different seminars and workshops throughout the year. One important point I want to mention though is that I knew I wanted a one year program but when I interviewed at a different school with both a one year and two year option, the only student I met had done the two year and told me horror stories-everyone who did the one year hated their life, were miserable, regretted it, dropped out etc etc. This is not true!!! Don't let other people crush your soul by making those comments! I have absolutely no regrets on doing a one year program. The program is rigorous for sure. It will stretch you and challenge you but does not have to break you.

4) During the summer semesters I used federal financial aid and for fall and spring did a private student loan through Sallie Mae. It was my first time taking out loans and I think not having undergrad student loan debt did make this feel a little easier for me than some of my classmates. The investment is no joke though and something that weighs heavily on a lot of us. People often make comments about how this is a drop in the bucket of what our total debt will be or that we need to be patient because we will make enough money as a doctor to pay it off but none of those comments help in the moment and being a career changer or older than a traditional premed can add another level of complexity. For some of us the decision to pursue this opportunity has meant leaving a full time job, saying goodbye to that stability, and knowing we will also likely have less time to pay those loans off than students starting at a younger age.

I know it can feel overwhelming to enter interviews thinking you need to be perfect and feeling like you have to prove yourself to schools but trust me when I say that my cohort has quite the variety of ages, backgrounds, experiences, and statistics. Comparison is a slippery slope that doesn't benefit anyone because at the end of the day our differences fade away as we all sit in classes and work together to complete this process and apply to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
We can do it both ways! I'll answer here and message you.

1) I didn't think their interview was hard at all. It was a very organized, structured day but was done in a fairly laid back, welcoming way. I was fortunate enough to interview right before all the shut downs started so got to do everything in person. There were only about 10 of us on my interview day but we started with an info session and then followed with a Q&A session with past students, went to do our actual interview portion, had lunch and did more Q&A with current students, and finished with a tour of the school. My first interview was a one-on-one with a member of the leadership and the next was myself with one other applicant and the dean. My first interview we went over my application, did the typical strengths and weaknesses conversation, and talked about some more logistics of the program as far as how rigorous it is, what resources are available, and ways to navigate the post-bacc year. With Dean Hershman it was all about why medicine and our personal backgrounds. She even asked me if I had any connections to the area because I was an out of state applicant and she wanted to let me know that if I did not have connections to the area, that wouldn't mean I did not have a support system because the leadership would be there to help.

2) What got me in? My stunning good looks and charming personality. Totally joking!! I think I got myself in just by being myself and being open and honest during the process. As I mentioned earlier, your story truly does matter. They are not going in to these interviews looking for reasons to deny you but are wanting to get a better feel of who you are as a person so they know what you need to succeed. It is important to remember that by offering you an interview they already see your potential and believe in you and your ability to succeed.

3) Day to day has differed every term so I can send you more specifics but bottom line days are filled with classes, labs, and studying. We do also have different seminars and workshops throughout the year. One important point I want to mention though is that I knew I wanted a one year program but when I interviewed at a different school with both a one year and two year option, the only student I met had done the two year and told me horror stories-everyone who did the one year hated their life, were miserable, regretted it, dropped out etc etc. This is not true!!! Don't let other people crush your soul by making those comments! I have absolutely no regrets on doing a one year program. The program is rigorous for sure. It will stretch you and challenge you but does not have to break you.

4) During the summer semesters I used federal financial aid and for fall and spring did a private student loan through Sallie Mae. It was my first time taking out loans and I think not having undergrad student loan debt did make this feel a little easier for me than some of my classmates. The investment is no joke though and something that weighs heavily on a lot of us. People often make comments about how this is a drop in the bucket of what our total debt will be or that we need to be patient because we will make enough money as a doctor to pay it off but none of those comments help in the moment and being a career changer or older than a traditional premed can add another level of complexity. For some of us the decision to pursue this opportunity has meant leaving a full time job, saying goodbye to that stability, and knowing we will also likely have less time to pay those loans off than students starting at a younger age.

I know it can feel overwhelming to enter interviews thinking you need to be perfect and feeling like you have to prove yourself to schools but trust me when I say that my cohort has quite the variety of ages, backgrounds, experiences, and statistics. Comparison is a slippery slope that doesn't benefit anyone because at the end of the day our differences fade away as we all sit in classes and work together to complete this process and apply to medical school.
Thank you so much for your very detailed reply! I think my interview went well!

For anyone else wondering, I also want to reiterate how relaxed the interviews were. It was more like having a conversation with a old family friend, think your grandfather or close cousin. They really do look over your application and take the time to get to know you. That honestly is the primary goal of interview day, so don't be afraid to show them your interests and things you want them to know/enjoy. We actually spent some time talking about Marvel and I showed them my collection from the Marvel series. I also got to have a great discussion about mental health stigmas with some of the interviewers.

Some key things to help you be successful are:
1. RELAX, don't forget to breath. Honestly I feel like once you are in the interview, the nerves and such will gradually dissipate as they really are that friendly and open
2. Know your personal statement - especially if there is anything concerning, unique, or that would raise questions. Even if they don't explicitly ask about it, it is good to address these things and show that you have nothing to hide. Be proud and firm in everything about yourself, even the things that you may not deem as "ideal".
3. Don't be afraid to elaborate on your answers, if you and your interviewer really hit it off on one subject, don't be afraid to dig a little deeper on it.
4. Know who you are - identity wise. For example, what resonates you the most? Did you grow up in a close knit community? How did that shape you into who you are?
5. SMILE, you're on camera....no but really don't dead-face the entire time. Don't be afraid to laugh and chime in where you see appropriate.

Good luck and will any luck I will see you in the summer!

Jack

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone else wondering, I also want to reiterate how relaxed the interviews were. It was more like having a conversation with a old family friend, think your grandfather or close cousin. They really do look over your application and take the time to get to know you. That honestly is the primary goal of interview day, so don't be afraid to show them your interests and things you want them to know/enjoy. We actually spent some time talking about Marvel and I showed them my collection from the Marvel series. I also got to have a great discussion about mental health stigmas with some of the interviewers.

Some key things to help you be successful are:
1. RELAX, don't forget to breath. Honestly I feel like once you are in the interview, the nerves and such will gradually dissipate as they really are that friendly and open
2. Know your personal statement - especially if there is anything concerning, unique, or that would raise questions. Even if they don't explicitly ask about it, it is good to address these things and show that you have nothing to hide. Be proud and firm in everything about yourself, even the things that you may not deem as "ideal".
3. Don't be afraid to elaborate on your answers, if you and your interviewer really hit it off on one subject, don't be afraid to dig a little deeper on it.
4. Know who you are - identity wise. For example, what resonates you the most? Did you grow up in a close knit community? How did that shape you into who you are?
5. SMILE, you're on camera....no but really don't dead-face the entire time. Don't be afraid to laugh and chime in where you see appropriate.

Good luck and will any luck I will see you in the summer!

Jack
Accepted to the 2021 class!

Thank you all for your informative post. I just got an invitation for an interview. Super excited and nervous all the once!