Temple Dental Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrodr043

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you get to the dental school via septa if you live in summit park??

or is it better to drive there??

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I drove for 4 years.....easier then SEPTA. Don't depend on public transportation to be on time or not go on strike. Find some classmates at Summit and car pool for the first semester at least. Good Luck....I will see you around, I am a pedo resident now at Episcopal

T 2006

mrodr043 said:
Can you get to the dental school via septa if you live in summit park??

or is it better to drive there??

thanks!!

I heard its better to drive.

Did you get the notice for parking already? 300-350 to park for 4 months :scared:

Quick question, do you know if the tuition of 43,000 cover just tuition or does that include books, and instruments? I know instruments are 6,000 but what about the cost of books?

HD

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry HD I believe the price for books is a seperate cost... as for the commute... you will be better off driving from summit park.. I'll be living a block down from you at Henry on the Park so I think we should get a system together to car pool once the semester starts... as for parking... maybe there is a way that if we car pool we can get more then one car registered under the parking permit... this way whoever drives that day we can put the parking permit in that car... i dont know, just some thoughts.

I wouldnt take the bus into school Id take the train. The Train R6 will drop you off at the NOrth Broad stop. From there you can take the bus to the school or walk(its a 10-15min walk). I drive or take the train. But alot of people I know prefer the train to driving. You can read the newspaper dont have to try and find a parking spot etc etc.

there is no train that goes from the summit park/roxborough area to school. do not try to take a bus from summit, either. you need a car.

Thanks!!! gOod luck! =D

Temple 2006 said:
I drove for 4 years.....easier then SEPTA. Don't depend on public transportation to be on time or not go on strike. Find some classmates at Summit and car pool for the first semester at least. Good Luck....I will see you around, I am a pedo resident now at Episcopal

T 2006

no it doesn't...
~$40,000 for tuition
~$6500 for Dental kit
~$600 in additional fees

and i think that the books are separate... or maybe they are included in those "additional fees" <--- highly doubt that.

and yes i got the paper regarding parking... that is why i made this thread... i was like ummmmmmmmmm yea.... public transportation it is!! LOL :laugh:

hockeydentist said:
I heard its better to drive.

Did you get the notice for parking already? 300-350 to park for 4 months :scared:

Quick question, do you know if the tuition of 43,000 cover just tuition or does that include books, and instruments? I know instruments are 6,000 but what about the cost of books?

HD

oh....CRAP! I just got a place at HENRY on the Park and thought it was the bomb etc etc etc. Now HOW THE HELL will I get to school? Did I make a big mistake? PLEASE PLEASE you guys add me to the carpool list or whatever, cause I don't wanna get screwed over. Peace out for now.

How did this area fare during the flood??

hd

Stroszeck said:
oh....CRAP! I just got a place at HENRY on the Park and thought it was the bomb etc etc etc. Now HOW THE HELL will I get to school? Did I make a big mistake? PLEASE PLEASE you guys add me to the carpool list or whatever, cause I don't wanna get screwed over. Peace out for now.

Oh my god!! this is insane! Parking is close to the cost of my car insurance! I got an apt in Woodmere, close to most of u guys from Summit & Henry on the Park. Hopefully we can work out some systems during or soon after orientation!!! :scared:

HD... the floods did not affect that area at all. Henry Ave. where most of us are living is on really high ground no where near the flood zone. lower manyunk, near the river that is where all the problems were.. and this is a couple miles below where we are. I was on vacation during the flood and I live in Pottstown right now and all I could think about was comming back to a flooded basement.. thank God, it was fine.... but most of my area got flooded out. As for the commute from the area, I am sure there are going to be a number of us that can work out a car pool system.. anyone living at Henry and moving in a few weeks before class starts I'll be in D 402... Im sure we can get a system together before orientation. Only problem is.. I drive a stratus... so that leaves 3/4 seats open in my car... sorry I got rid of my SUV during the new year.. gas prices were killing me.

just sent in my check for parking.... added a week to include the week of orientation... anyone want a ride down to orientation let me know. Spent close to 2 grand now and haven't had a class yet, man I love this!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
tug1625 said:
HD... the floods did not affect that area at all. Henry Ave. where most of us are living is on really high ground no where near the flood zone. lower manyunk, near the river that is where all the problems were.. and this is a couple miles below where we are. I was on vacation during the flood and I live in Pottstown right now and all I could think about was comming back to a flooded basement.. thank God, it was fine.... but most of my area got flooded out. As for the commute from the area, I am sure there are going to be a number of us that can work out a car pool system.. anyone living at Henry and moving in a few weeks before class starts I'll be in D 402... Im sure we can get a system together before orientation. Only problem is.. I drive a stratus... so that leaves 3/4 seats open in my car... sorry I got rid of my SUV during the new year.. gas prices were killing me.

You do have to watch out though b/c the drive back from the school does get flooded. One time it took me like 3 hours to get back home b/c several roads were closed due to flooding.

cusp of carabelli said:
You do have to watch out though b/c the drive back from the school does get flooded. One time it took me like 3 hours to get back home b/c several roads were closed due to flooding.

good point there... it very well could be havoc getting to and from school during a time like waht we had but of course the way traffic is in philly any day could be like that... I once sat in traffic for 2 hours because people were rubber necking at a girl on the other side of 76 changing a flat tire.... goes to show you philly traffic.

Anybody get anything on the grad plus loans?????

Is there a website I can go to, to get the loan application started. I got the stafford loan taken care of.

hd

FOR ANYONE WHO ALREADY DID THE GRAD PLUS LOAN APP:

WHich lender should we choose to get the best deal? I know at one point in the process, the application has a drop down menu with a list of like 8 or 9 different lenders, (ONE OF THEM BEING CITIBANK), but when I called today, the Fin Aid person told me to "do research" about each program to get the best deal possible. Well, has anyone from the past (current students) or new students actually chosen a lender? I don't wanna get stuck with a sick interest rate.

Im not sure how a grad plus program has a drop down menu.. the only one a remember having a drop down menu was the stafford loan.. if that is the case I have persoanlly been using Wachovia for my stafford loans... they all offer the same benifits and interest rates but there may be some little quarks with each. As for a grad plus loan I have used Northstar THE loan program, only problem is that the do not work with temple dental only temple medical so i am currently trying to get approval. The thing I liked about Northstar is/was they offer full deferement while enrolled and alot of options for payback after im done with school. One down fall is that they check your credit and are veryyyyyy stingy!!!!

When did you all get your financial aid info?? I still have received anything about loans or anything from the government or private loans.

Hi guys,

I'm a female third year dental student at Temple in search of roommates at henry on the park. Possibly 2 or 3 bedroom apt, depending how many of people. Please let me know. I'm willing to give notes and back tests for nice roommates !!!

I would, but I'm married.

Stroszeck said:
FOR ANYONE WHO ALREADY DID THE GRAD PLUS LOAN APP:

WHich lender should we choose to get the best deal? I know at one point in the process, the application has a drop down menu with a list of like 8 or 9 different lenders, (ONE OF THEM BEING CITIBANK), but when I called today, the Fin Aid person told me to "do research" about each program to get the best deal possible. Well, has anyone from the past (current students) or new students actually chosen a lender? I don't wanna get stuck with a sick interest rate.

I was told to go with Citibank as well. The only reason given was thats what the school is using as there bank.

hd

I will be in g204 at Henry and would love to carpool. One problem though....my personal daily driver is a toyota mr2. For those not familiar with this car it is a two seater, but fun in the twisties :D

I wouldn't mind being on the carpool list either, but wouldn't be able to share my weight with a two seater. If not I will drive by my lonesome b/c my car is fun to drive.

When did you guys get the parking stuff? Anything else sent to us recently? I always get my stuff late...the last thing I got was an online loan queationaire thing.

I just got back from vacation in Lake Powell and have 4 weeks to get organized.

1992Corolla said:
I will be in g204 at Henry and would love to carpool. One problem though....my personal daily driver is a toyota mr2. For those not familiar with this car it is a two seater, but fun in the twisties :D

I wouldn't mind being on the carpool list either, but wouldn't be able to share my weight with a two seater. If not I will drive by my lonesome b/c my car is fun to drive.

When did you guys get the parking stuff? Anything else sent to us recently? I always get my stuff late...the last thing I got was an online loan queationaire thing.

I could carpool with yah, I got a f150, two seater as well. I sent in my parking stuff last friday, I choose the garage option. I am just now waiting to see if I get the loan that applied for outside of the stafford loans.

hd

hockeydentist said:
I could carpool with yah, I got a f150, two seater as well. I sent in my parking stuff last friday, I choose the garage option. I am just now waiting to see if I get the loan that applied for outside of the stafford loans.

hd

Right on! When did you get the parking information? Is that all you've gotten in the mail for the past couple of weeks? The last thing I got was the loan quiz that I took online...I've been on a 2 vacation and have been out-of-the-loop. :cool:

1992Corolla said:
Right on! When did you get the parking information? Is that all you've gotten in the mail for the past couple of weeks? The last thing I got was the loan quiz that I took online...I've been on a 2 vacation and have been out-of-the-loop. :cool:

Yah so far just the parking info.. quick question for yah since you've been in philly for a while. Did you change your drivers licencse and registration over to pennsylvannia or did you keep your home state licencse and registration?

hd

hockeydentist said:
Yah so far just the parking info.. quick question for yah since you've been in philly for a while. Did you change your drivers licencse and registration over to pennsylvannia or did you keep your home state licencse and registration?

hd

I have actually been living in Chicago all summer :D

HOWEVER, I will be changing everything over because my license expires Jan 2007. For insurance purposes too ( I have to change b/c my current provider doesn't cover PA) I will have to change the license plate & registration for both vehicles. It may help with residency too, even though my chances are slim, you never know.

Looks like I'll have to call the school and bug them about parking info. What were the rates btw? I was thinking of getting a parking pass in Battersby gauranteed access...

1992Corolla said:
I have actually been living in Chicago all summer :D

HOWEVER, I will be changing everything over because my license expires Jan 2007. For insurance purposes too ( I have to change b/c my current provider doesn't cover PA) I will have to change the license plate & registration for both vehicles. It may help with residency too, even though my chances are slim, you never know.

Looks like I'll have to call the school and bug them about parking info. What were the rates btw? I was thinking of getting a parking pass in Battersby gauranteed access...

rates for parking
amtrak: 284.00 starts 8/28/06
battersby: 304.00
carlisle west garage( I choose this one) 324.00

if you go to this website www.temple.edu/parking
click on link for hsc campus
click on link downloads
the first form option is guranteed access student hangtag form
download both forms 1a and 1b and send in a check or money order for which garage you want.

hd

hockeydentist said:
rates for parking
amtrak: 284.00 starts 8/28/06
battersby: 304.00
carlisle west garage( I choose this one) 324.00

if you go to this website www.temple.edu/parking
click on link for hsc campus
click on link downloads
the first form option is guranteed access student hangtag form
download both forms 1a and 1b and send in a check or money order for which garage you want.

hd

I sent in money today for Battersby...800 a year for parking though...ouch! :D

What is this lone questionairre you speak of and where do I get it. I havent received anything like this or about loans in general????

1992Corolla said:

thewince7 said:
What is this lone questionairre you speak of and where do I get it. I havent received anything like this or about loans in general????

Hmmmm. I would call Temple then. The Admissions office number is:

ask them to transfer you to financial aid to see if you are up to date.

Hey does anyone have any idea when the summer break starts and ends?? I am getting married next summer and need to know when I can plan the wedding so if anyone knows that be awesome cause I got redirected to student affairs and she was clueless. Thanks.

thewince7 said:
Hey does anyone have any idea when the summer break starts and ends?? I am getting married next summer and need to know when I can plan the wedding so if anyone knows that be awesome cause I got redirected to student affairs and she was clueless. Thanks.

congrats on the wedding... I hear it starts the middle of june... I have second hand information and therefore not reliable.

hey guys i was looking over the parking stuff and the fees they give you are for the entire year... for the garage its broken down into 4 sessions s1 s2 summer 1 and 2 each costing 84 dollars to park bringing in the grand total of 300 and change... i dont think it costs 800 for the whole year.

ohhh btw... how much did people ask for in there alternative loan application?? Just trying to get a rough idea of waht I will need for the year... i mean you need money for food, apartment etc,... party... then party again.. party some more... then do school work.

300 for ONE semester. Fall + Spring = 600. Summer is 100 something...close to 800 for 3/4 of a year.

Thanks bro. Im hopin d-school follows the same summer session type plan as the undergrad and we get the second summer session off which i think lasts from june 22 to aug 22. THanks for the help.

hockeydentist said:
congrats on the wedding... I hear it starts the middle of june... I have second hand information and therefore not reliable.

hockeydentist said:
Anybody get anything on the grad plus loans?????

Is there a website I can go to, to get the loan application started. I got the stafford loan taken care of.

hd

u gotta go to aessuccess.org
apply for grad. plus loan. I chose bank of america since i have credit card with them. I don't know if those lenders have different rates or not, I hope NOT!
if anyone knows more let me know!
See u in soon guys

benson_dds said:
u gotta go to aessuccess.org
apply for grad. plus loan. I chose bank of america since i have credit card with them. I don't know if those lenders have different rates or not, I hope NOT!
if anyone knows more let me know!
See u in soon guys

bensson

I was told that the rates for grad plus loans are the same, capped at 8.5% regardless of which lender you choose. I was also told that you can defer payments up to 6 years after graduation before you start paying that loan off.

How much did you ask for. Anybody get there loan approved yet for the grad plus loan its been about 5 days and still no word from the aessucess website.

hockeydentist said:
bensson

I was told that the rates for grad plus loans are the same, capped at 8.5% regardless of which lender you choose. I was also told that you can defer payments up to 6 years after graduation before you start paying that loan off.

How much did you ask for. Anybody get there loan approved yet for the grad plus loan its been about 5 days and still no word from the aessucess website.

Yeah I called the F.A. office and they told me those lender's rates are all the same. I asked them about the tuition and all the fees here is the break down:
$43,078 for Tuition
$500 other fees
$1,100 means of transportation (parking fee and gas)
$1,200 books
$13,200 for living
$6,200 instruments
and $750 travel allowance
------------------------
Total: $66,640 oh boy!!!
-$38,500 Stafford loan
- $1500 ur deposit
------------------------
Remaining is $26,640! I asked for $18000 when i fliied out the grad. plus loan but im changing it to $28,000 you can always return the money if u have some extra
Good luck

Ben

hockeydentist said:
bensson

I believe u meant u can defer your loan payment for "6 months" after graduation not 6 years! I know it's a typo but some of us may think that's true

benson_dds said:
Yeah I called the F.A. office and they told me those lender's rates are all the same. I asked them about the tuition and all the fees here is the break down:
$43,078 for Tuition
$500 other fees
$1,100 means of transportation (parking fee and gas)
$1,200 books
$13,200 for living
$6,200 instruments
and $750 travel allowance
------------------------
Total: $66,640 oh boy!!!
-$38,500 Stafford loan
- $1500 ur deposit
------------------------
Remaining is $26,640! I asked for $18000 when i fliied out the grad. plus loan but im changing it to $28,000 you can always return the money if u have some extra
Good luck

Ben

Thanks Ben!

Is it possible to ask for more money if you already submitted application in for the gradplus loan.

benson_dds said:
I believe u meant u can defer your loan payment for "6 months" after graduation not 6 years! I know it's a typo but some of us may think that's true

That is not what Citibank told me, they said I could defer it up to 6 years after graduation.

I went with citibank because of their great track record and I have a credit card from them. 6 years! That would be awesome. I asked to be approved for 40K :D They won't grant me that much but I need the maximum amount so hopefully I get it. Wife and kids and myself = expensive. Plus i want to finance the new M5...j/k

Hey HD, do you know where in writing it says the 6 year deferment option? I would like to print off a page for my records...

hockeydentist said:
Thanks Ben!

Is it possible to ask for more money if you already submitted application in for the gradplus loan.

I called the AES cutomer service and they told me since ur school has not yet received ur loan we can change the amount. So I believe it can be done, just go to aessuccess.org go under contact us at the top and choose PHONE don't do the live chat, it'll take forever
I chose bank of America since I have credit card with them.

ben

1992Corolla said:
I went with citibank because of their great track record and I have a credit card from them. 6 years! That would be awesome. I asked to be approved for 40K :D They won't grant me that much but I need the maximum amount so hopefully I get it. Wife and kids and myself = expensive. Plus i want to finance the new M5...j/k

Hey HD, do you know where in writing it says the 6 year deferment option? I would like to print off a page for my records...

I called Citibank about the gradplus loan, and the loan officer stated this over the phone. Sorry I don't have anything in writing, but I haven't looked yet either.

Let me call them back to cofirm this.

benson_dds said:

Whoa Two Bens in Chicago going to Temple...eerie

HD:
I will look at the website too to find anywhere it may say this as it intrigues me to no end *crosses fingers*

1992Corolla said:
Whoa Two Bens in Chicago going to Temple...eerie

well my actual name is not Ben that's my middle name but in anycase we're both from Chicago, that's GREAT. Where do u live in Chicago my fellow future Doc.?