Temple Dental Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
benson_dds said:
1992Corolla said:
Whoa Two Bens in Chicago going to Temple...eerie

well my actual name is not Ben that's my middle name but in anycase we're both from Chicago, that's GREAT. Where do u live in Chicago my fellow future Doc.?

I am actually from the Seattle area. I am living at the inlaws though for the summer working. I am in Batavia, so not really Chicago, but a suburb outside of it. It's near aurora.

meet you soon!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone have a couch to rent? im comming to philly on the 17th and need a place to stay while im apartment hunting. of course id pay you for letting me crash at your place. so if you do pm me or email me.

thanks,
marv

1992Corolla said:
...It may help with residency too, even though my chances are slim, you never know....

I bought a house to establish residency for in-state tuition... which I am selling now if anyone is interested... :D

Good luck at Temple!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated and if anyone is interested in books and wants to save some money feel free to PM me and I will sell you mine cheap. I have no use for them now since I am doing pedo. Thansk

tug1625 said:
Sorry HD I believe the price for books is a seperate cost... as for the commute... you will be better off driving from summit park.. I'll be living a block down from you at Henry on the Park so I think we should get a system together to car pool once the semester starts... as for parking... maybe there is a way that if we car pool we can get more then one car registered under the parking permit... this way whoever drives that day we can put the parking permit in that car... i dont know, just some thoughts.

Temple 2006 said:
I just graduated and if anyone is interested in books and wants to save some money feel free to PM me and I will sell you mine cheap. I have no use for them now since I am doing pedo. Thansk

speaking of books, do we need to spend the 1500 or so dollars on all the books, are there books we don't need etc..

hd

hockeydentist said:
speaking of books, do we need to spend the 1500 or so dollars on all the books, are there books we don't need etc..

hd

During orientation students that are giving you your tour should tell you what books you need. From what I remember I would only buy three books. The dental anatomy text book, sturdevant, and the dental materials book. You'll use the dental anatomy book the most. There's also a small brown book that is a good supplement to the dental anatomy book. You won't need a histology or biochem book because they give you plenty of detailed notes/slides.

Enjoy your last month off but don't worry too much, the first semester at temple is not difficult.

I like the way you think!!!! party party partayyyyyyyy!! :laugh:

tug1625 said:
ohhh btw... how much did people ask for in there alternative loan application?? Just trying to get a rough idea of waht I will need for the year... i mean you need money for food, apartment etc,... party... then party again.. party some more... then do school work.

Does anyone know how we can keep our original state plate and vehicle registeration? bc my insurance tells me I have to transfer my plate and register my vehicle in Penn. State once i move but i've heard there are students driving with let's say California's plate there?!!
If anyone has more info. plz let me know.

Thanks
Ben

Does anyone know when 1st semester ends and 2nd semester begins----how long is winter break at Temple??

Thanks!

AT12 said:
Does anyone know when 1st semester ends and 2nd semester begins----how long is winter break at Temple??

Thanks!

last day of finals is december 15th
first day of classes for 2nd semester is january 3rd

benson_dds said:
Does anyone know how we can keep our original state plate and vehicle registeration? bc my insurance tells me I have to transfer my plate and register my vehicle in Penn. State once i move but i've heard there are students driving with let's say California's plate there?!!
If anyone has more info. plz let me know.

Thanks
Ben

Hey Ben

I just had a sit down with my insurance company this morning. Here is what the said to me, If I want to keep my current state plate, they suggest that I get a policy with my parents. They said that students going to state outstate are exempt from registering there car in the state where there going to school in as long as your going full time. But you do have to get your car inspected in the state your going to school in.

They said the issue becomes, whether or not your insurance wants to cover you being that your policy is being issued in your home state but your vehicle will be in another state. They call it the garage policy.

hd

Another issue many may want to discuss with their insurance carrier if they decide to switch stay etc would be the rate hike for living in philly.... my insurance company and I are at each other throats becuase they want to raise my rate from 130 a month which includes 2 cars my wife and all the extras to over 300 a month!!!! I wanted to choke the guy!!! I have off street parking, closed community and they still wont lower it!!! got calls out to geico and progressive to see if they can beat the offer from my current carrier... sad part is i've been with this carrier since I was 16 and you think that would count for something but of course its all about the $$$$$

tug1625 said:
Another issue many may want to discuss with their insurance carrier if they decide to switch stay etc would be the rate hike for living in philly.... my insurance company and I are at each other throats becuase they want to raise my rate from 130 a month which includes 2 cars my wife and all the extras to over 300 a month!!!! I wanted to choke the guy!!! I have off street parking, closed community and they still wont lower it!!! got calls out to geico and progressive to see if they can beat the offer from my current carrier... sad part is i've been with this carrier since I was 16 and you think that would count for something but of course its all about the $$$$$

Yah tug brings up a great point about the rate hike... Doesn't help either that philadelphia is one of the most expensive city in america for car insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats because around 65-75% of the people driving in philly DONT HAVE INSURANCE!!!!

ouch...what insurance companies do you guys go through?

I have been looking at safeco for car, life and renters. They have so far given me the lowest rates through online quotes. I would avoid geico and progressive. They market like mad to snag the unsuspecting into paying their rates. If they give you a good deal then you also have to beware of their record in actually PAYING OUT on a claim. You may pay but sometimes they won't. This is through my experiance so I am biased.

I have been with American Family for 3 years but they don't cover PA. I have to switch. I will be getting new plates and insurance when I go out. Add it to my debt :laugh: :oops:

Just be aware that if you go through certain "cheap" or minimum coverage car insurance companies, you'll be considered an at risk coverage category when you try to go back to a normal insurance company, making your premiums higher. I forget the ones to avoid because I looked into it around 4 years ago, but check with a reputable company's rep to see what they are.

I got the recent mailing from Temple on Saturday. (I live in Philly, so I probably got the mailing the day after it was mailed).

The packet includes our class schedule, info for opening an email account, parking info for orientation, academic calendar, and health insurance.

I tried to open my Temple email account online, but the computer services says my account info is not on file yet. I'm guessing the computer services dept doesn't have the 1st year dental students info yet.

I thought it might be a good idea if anyone could post once they get their email set-up so the rest of us know it is working. That way all of us aren't calling computer services constantly.

Enjoy the rest of summer......it looks like we are going to be pretty busy!

did you activate your account? after that you should be able to get into your email account

I just got the schedule for the year in the mail. Do first years get the second summer session off??? from June 22-August 27?? It doesnt say that on the sheet but I heard we got a break during our first summer.

thewince7 said:
I just got the schedule for the year in the mail. Do first years get the second summer session off??? from June 22-August 27?? It doesnt say that on the sheet but I heard we got a break during our first summer.

YES!

tug1625 said:
thats because around 65-75% of the people driving in philly DONT HAVE INSURANCE!!!!

You are right. Many people in Philadelphia drive uninsured. If they hit you, they will hightail it out of there without stopping to give you their auto insurance info because they don't have it. This happened to me my second year of dental school on North Broad Street, as did other things.

Use a reputable insurance company and make sure you get uninsured motorist coverage to protect you should an uninsured motorist plow into you.

Incidently, my accident happened when I stopped for a red light late at night while with a fellow dental student. The guy behind plowed into us, backed up and took off.

My car was a mess, and I had no insurance recourse.

One of the many, expensive memories of dental school.

Pay for parking too. Don't depend on parking on the streets. It's not safe for you or your car or reliable either. Not cheap, but worth it.

The way to get through school is just be resigned to buy what you need, when you need it to help you get through on time. You will feel nickeled and dimed. That is the way it is. Whether it's parking, insurance, equipment, etc. It is expensive, everything just adds up. If you need a bur to finish a project, a new plastic tooth whatever, just buy it, it's the part of the cost of dental school. It will make getting out of there with your degree easier, not less expensive. In the end, you're there to get that degree. That is your mission.

You'll be starting soon. Good Luck.

anyone in the area want a free twin size bed? just thought i'd help a fellow student out before i post it on craigslist. if you do pm me

WHo was it that said we get done at 11:30 on Mon Wed Fri??? boy was that far off or what!!! ohh and got to love the 3.5 hour biochem lecture on Friday's!!!! Bet your azz ill be cutting out after lunch on that one! My email acount works fine... odd thing was when i went to activate the account it said it was already activated so i just logged in using my netaccess usename and pin as the password and BINGO! Still unsure about the forwarding... what is our usename for our temple dental email account? I'd assume its the first initial and lastname but would rather be sure before forwarding.... ohh and anyone moving into HENRY ON THE PARK.. little advice .. make sure your AC unit is working properly... i'm this close to going to war with them about it.. my unit outside the apt looks like its from the 80's and runs all day ad barely gets the apt to 72 degrees!!! Ive made 2 complaints and complaints don't seem to be taken seriouly round here!!! THey have some half shot "handyman" come in with his bag of tricks to make it look like he's fixing it but I dont think he's done SQUAT!!! Anyone living there now if you could give me some advice on the direction i should go with this let me know.. thx!

tug1625 said:
My email acount works fine... odd thing was when i went to activate the account it said it was already activated so i just logged in using my netaccess usename and pin as the password and BINGO! Still unsure about the forwarding... what is our usename for our temple dental email account? I'd assume its the first initial and lastname but would rather be sure before forwarding....

i'm a little confused about how we access the temple dental email accounts vs our regular email accounts. i set up my temple one and that works fine but how do we access the dental one?

well if you go to the dental website and click on intranet that will take you to the dental email system... but I do not know what to put in for username and pw.. tried my netaccess user and pw but that didnt work so im a little unsure myself.. any hints let me know

tug1625 said:
well if you go to the dental website and click on intranet that will take you to the dental email system... but I do not know what to put in for username and pw.. tried my netaccess user and pw but that didnt work so im a little unsure myself.. any hints let me know

you guys don't get your dental account until maybe like a month in...it's usually your first name inital and your last name....so it would be like [email protected]. The regular university account is seperate and that login can be used to get into like owlnet, blackboard and stuff like that.

tug1625 said:
WHo was it that said we get done at 11:30 on Mon Wed Fri??? boy was that far off or what!!! ohh and got to love the 3.5 hour biochem lecture on Friday's!!!! Bet your azz ill be cutting out after lunch on that one! My email acount works fine... odd thing was when i went to activate the account it said it was already activated so i just logged in using my netaccess usename and pin as the password and BINGO! Still unsure about the forwarding... what is our usename for our temple dental email account? I'd assume its the first initial and lastname but would rather be sure before forwarding.... ohh and anyone moving into HENRY ON THE PARK.. little advice .. make sure your AC unit is working properly... i'm this close to going to war with them about it.. my unit outside the apt looks like its from the 80's and runs all day ad barely gets the apt to 72 degrees!!! Ive made 2 complaints and complaints don't seem to be taken seriouly round here!!! THey have some half shot "handyman" come in with his bag of tricks to make it look like he's fixing it but I dont think he's done SQUAT!!! Anyone living there now if you could give me some advice on the direction i should go with this let me know.. thx!

You will get done at 11:30 MWF. Histo probably meets 3 or 4 times wed afternoons. The preventative clinic is only one monday all semester, and barely anybody goes to the review friday afternoons for biochem. Enjoy your first semester because it gets progressively harder each semester.

hey did anyone have their plus loan certified by Temple yet? A buddy of mine did and it didnt go so well. He had asked for 20 grand and Temple only certified him for 8 grand!!!! He called me flipping out yesterday, for some reason mine wasnt certified yet so I was just wondering if anyone had their loan certified yet or if it was still reading incomplete.

no pucking way....

only 8 thousand...

I just checked mine, and everything is approved... I am good to go I guess..

hockeydentist said:
I just checked mine, and everything is approved... I am good to go I guess..

Hey hockeydentist, thanks for telling me about the garage policy, it did work!
Well did u guys get any scholarship money?
My grad. plus is not yet approved bc I changed to national city bank as a lender.

Ben

hope everyone is moved in and getting settled...I just got the internet up here at henry park and came by to check things out. Looks like I was also approved for all my loan money from the PLUS loan. see you guys next week.

1992Corolla said:
hope everyone is moved in and getting settled...I just got the internet up here at henry park and came by to check things out. Looks like I was also approved for all my loan money from the PLUS loan. see you guys next week.[/QUOTE

What apt. you in Corolla, Im in D402, and My PLus loan is STILL NOT CERTIFIED!!! I have called the last 2 weeks to find out why and they dont have an answer for me... im really getting ticked! Ohh. does anyone want to make a practice run down to Temple with me this week before orientation.. I was going to try and get my temple ID and parking pass as well so Im not stuck in line all day during orientation... if interested PM me or email me at [email protected]