temple facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobeavers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just wanted to ask all of those who knew, how are the temple facilities?? How are they in relation to other schools (if you have been to multiple schools) I am going to interview there, I just want to know what to expect as far as the facilities go.

thanks so much guys! :D

Members don't see this ad.

gobeavers said:
Hey guys,
I just wanted to ask all of those who knew, how are the temple facilities?? How are they in relation to other schools (if you have been to multiple schools) I am going to interview there, I just want to know what to expect as far as the facilities go.

thanks so much guys! :D

Temple University is a huge university with multiple campus in the greater Philadelphia area and also in Rome and Japan. TUSPM is located in downtown area (Chinatown section) of Philadelphia, which is known as Center City. Since TUSPM is in downtown Philadelphia, you have easy access to many of the attractions of Philadelphia in the historic district, Olde City, Art Museum area, Theater district on Broad Street, Clubs and Bars on Chestnut / Walnut / South streets. On TUSPM campus, you have the academic building (classrooms, labs, library, mini gym, faculty offices), Temple University Foot and Ankle Institute (TUSPM Podiatry Clinic, Wound Care Center, and Surgery Center), and TUSPM Dorms. Having dorms next to the academic building makes it convenient for the students. Fortunately, TUSPM is in a pretty decent area of Philadelphia (downtown Philly). The Temple Medical School, Temple Dental School, Temple University Foot and Ankle Institute Satellite Clinic, Temple University Children's Hospital and Temple University Hospital are located on Temple University Health Science Campus, which is located in pretty rough part of Philly called North Philadelphia. Temple University main campus (undergrad and law and business) are located in a separate campus in North Philadelphia as well. There is a shuttle service that connects all three campuses. TUSPM students have access to the state of the art gym facilities at Temple main campus, in addition to the mini gym at TUSPM. Temple has been upgrading the TUSPM classrooms and converting them to smart classrooms. TUSPM library has a pretty decent collection and subscribes to all of journals that any Podiatrist would be interested in reading. Of course, you also have access to all of the other Temple University libraries.

Good luck on your interview.

I interviewed at Temple last year expecting to witness fantastic facilities that backed all of their great statistics. However, I couldn't believe how old and run down everything was. It seriously looks like you stepped into the 60's or something. They have this gait lab that is placed on a decreped wooden platform and their library was about the size of my high school's. They basically use their huge undergraduate campus and Temple's allopathic facillities in their statistics. I'm not sure how strong and long-lasting their affiliation with Temple is/has been, but they need to do some serious investing to catch up with the some of the other schools.

dtd8671 said:
I interviewed at Temple last year expecting to witness fantastic facilities that backed all of their great statistics. However, I couldn't believe how old and run down everything was. It seriously looks like you stepped into the 60's or something. They have this gait lab that is placed on a decreped wooden platform and their library was about the size of my high school's. They basically use their huge undergraduate campus and Temple's allopathic facillities in their statistics. I'm not sure how strong and long-lasting their affiliation with Temple is/has been, but they need to do some serious investing to catch up with the some of the other schools.

TUSPM is actually not affiliated with Temple University. TUSPM is actually one of the colleges within Temple University. Hence, the comment, "I'm not sure how strong and long-lasting their affiliation with Temple is/has been" does not make sense at all. Judging from your comments, I think that you perceive TUSPM as a separate entity and is loosely affiliated with Temple. TUSPM is no different than schools like Scholl, DMU, Barry, and AZPod, in that they are actually a part of the University. TUSPM students graduate with the same Temple University diploma as the allopathic medical students and any other Temple students.

In your posting, you had commented about TUSPM physical building. TUSPM building was built in the late 60's early 70's, while the school buildings of Scholl, DMU, AZPod, or even the new Barry building are relatively new (less than 20 years old). The only other schools that have buildings older than TUSPM are NYCPM and OCPM. Since the TUSPM's building is older, it will not look as nice as the newer buildings. Temple University has invested quite a bit in TUSPM. Temple has converted all of the academic lecture halls into smart classrooms. Now, they have just started the next phase of renovations of the lecture halls revamping the entire classroom (seats,etc...) Due to Temple University online learning capabilities, many of the courses materials are available online. Since the third year students at TUSPM have an option to do their clinical training at one of the affiliated sites, such as Arizona, San Antonio, etc..., TUSPM has established online distance learning for those students who are away from TUSPM campus. As for TUSPM library, it is part of the Temple University Library system. In fact, TUSPM library has a very comprehensive collection that meets and exceeds the needs of the Podiatry students. Of course, whatever TUSPM library does not have, they can get it from either Temple's main campus library or the health science campus library. TUSPM library also offer students access to many of the online access to journals and textbooks due to the fact it is part of the Temple library system. Since TUSPM library is part of the Temple University Library system, you would expect that they would use the entire library system statistics. I am assuming that DMU, Barry, Scholl, and AZPod library statistics also reflect the entire university collection, since they are part of the university. As for the gait lab, it is not as nice as the new gait lab that Scholl has. However, everything that can be done in any gait labs can be done at TUSPM gait lab. Temple University has also invested in the school's clinic. TUSPM Foot and Ankle Institute now has a surgery center, lower extremity MRI machine on site, laser treatment, new wound care center, shockwave treatment on site, etc.... Since Temple University is a huge school, you do not expect TUSPM to be totally renovated overnight.

TUSPM is also quite progressive with their curriculum. There has been a major curriculum overhaul for the third and fourth years. All of the academic classes will be done by the first trimester of the third year (by Thanksgiving). This would allow the third and fourth year students to focus exclusively on clinical training. Since the TUSPM students are on the same rotations (IM, Vascular Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, etc...) as the allopathic medical students, TUSPM will be implementing shelf exams at the end of the rotations. Allopathic medical students take these shelf exams at the end of their rotations to assess their knowledge in the subject matter of a particular rotation. TUSPM Physical Diagnosis course is pretty much the same course as the allopathic medical students, where they have to do their practicals on live simulated patients. Since the basic science courses are pretty much same as the allopathic medical students and taught by most of the same professors, it would be interesting to see if there will be any changes in the basic sciences curriculum at TUSPM. Temple allopathic medical school is converting their basic science curriculum to an organ based system approach (similar to DMU) and wonder if TUSPM would follow in the footsteps of the allopathic medical school.