Temple Graduate Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larryphrank

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated Temple Dental School about 10 years ago.
I remember what a pain in the behind the whole process can be.
So, therefore, I would be happier to give my 2 cents to anyone who feels they may need it.

Larry

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Larryphrank...welcome to sdn :)

I'm currently a 1st year at temple, doing on to my second year. Are you currently practicing in PA, or are you practicing in another state? Also, how difficult is it to find a job as an associate around the area?

I'm sure I have more questions, but can't think of them right now.

If you can get back to me with answers to those questions, that would be great....thanks!

if you had to do it all over again, would you go to temple? i have a little time left to decide b/w temple and penn. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently practicing in new york.
After graduating, I did a hospital residency here in new york.
I didnt learn much more dentistry in the residency program, but it allowed me to pick up a little speed, treat emergencies efficiently and meet some potential job contacts in the area.
As far as getting an associate job. I dont think that will be a problem. As far as getting a good associate position. Well, lets just say that it helps to know someone. Remember, everyone is looking out for themselves, and is looking for the best deal.

Would I go to temple if i had to do it all over again?

Yes,
Let me just start by saying im not one of those gung ho this is my school, school spirit, im an alumni.... kind of guy.
Basically, i wanted a good education, at a reasonable price, and the ability to get a good job at the end of that horrible experience you call dental school.

Penn is good, but, its too damn expensive. Realistically, a degree is a degree. No one has ever cared where i graduated from, so why not go to the cheaper school? I was about $60,000 in debt and my nonthy payments were about $500
so, if i go to Penn, and am in $140,000 debt, so now my monthly payments will be north of $1000. Would I have gotten a better education? probably not.

My advice is, go to a good school,that isnt expensive, and the cost of living in the city is reasonable. It will pay off financially in the long run, trust me.

I got a good education at temple.
My first choice was suny stonybrook, because it was 1/2 the price, but , at the time i was going to school, new york was having budget problems, and threatened closing the school.. I didnt want to get involved in that. temple wasreasonably priced, close to New york. I became a resident by buying a condo, which further reduced my tuition.

Another piece of advice, If you plan on practicing in the north east, definately go to a school in a state that gives the NERBS. Its just not worth taking anymore boards than u can.

Make suer the school will help u with patietns , and requirements. This was probably the most stressful part. Not knowing whether u would graduate on time, not because you wernt smart, or not because u didnt show up, but because your patients didnt show up.

I have so much more to say, feel free to ask anything u like

larry

Hi Larry,

Welcome to SDN, I have PM'd my question to you.

thanks!
NCSMILES

kevinacko said:
if you had to do it all over again, would you go to temple? i have a little time left to decide b/w temple and penn. thanks

Hey Kev......i thought you already decided on Temple, but if you are still deciding, I know you have been on DentalTown and they have all told you that Temple is like half the price and twice the clinical experience....its a no brainer!!!!!

true, but i bought a condo in swarthmore and penn is much closer for me but it's just sooo expensive. i always wanted to go to penn so it's hard to turn down.

kevinacko said:
true, but i bought a condo in swarthmore and penn is much closer for me but it's just sooo expensive. i always wanted to go to penn so it's hard to turn down.

Cool......Wish you luck in your decision.......hope to see ya at Orientation in August.......Good Luck!