Temple Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my Temple invite. The letter they sent claims a 90% acceptance rate of their graduates into post-doc programs. That seems like an absolutely amazing stat and I'm wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this school?

Members don't see this ad.

I got the letter today as well. I didnt know Temple had such a high placement rate....impressive

I just got an interview invite over the phone...on a saturday...wow. I'm so exicted b/c my DAT scores were very very average...

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind sharing when you guys took your DAT. I took mine on 9/11 and I didn't even see it on ADDSAS that the schools recieved my DAT score. But I want to know when to "realistically" expect to get an invite. Thanks
oh, I forgot, good job:D

I took mine 8/7. They should get your DAT scores anytime, it usually takes 2 weeks. GL

Does anyone have any comments about Temple? good things, bad things? Thank you

Temple is an above average school in a horrible area. I interviewed there last year. It's not so bad during the day, but the place literally clears out when the sun goes down because it's not safe to be there--faculty, students and our tour guide all told us the same thing. Temple's main selling point is that you'll work on a clinical population unlike most other d-schools in the country. You'll probably extract over 100 teeth during your rotations, have a ton of full-mouth cases, etc etc. It's a good place clinically, but I don't know a single person who interviewed there and felt ok about the safety of the area.

Also, as far as the 90% placement rate goes, they're including people accepted into one year post-grad residencies for general dentistry in that stat, which is basically something anyone can do if they choose to. In fact, to practice in New York State you HAVE to go through a one year post-grad residency. Don't confuse this stat with the actual number of people that get into specialty residency programs--they're two different numbers.

i just got my letter too..!!!

congrats eveyone!!!
i know everyone of us would like to attend any school of we have no choice but most of u have multiple interviews..so how many of u would like to attend temple seriously?? i m not at all affiliated with temple or anything...just like to know my chances

congrats eveyone!!!
i know everyone of us would like to attend any school of we have no choice but most of u have multiple interviews..so how many of u would like to attend temple seriously?? i m not at all affiliated with temple or anything...just like to know my chances

I might cancel my interview there~

bring money for lunch...they give you like a $5 credit or something but the lunch cafeteria is pretty pricey, everyone had to use some of their own money too. i actually gave people money cause they didnt have enough. just a heads up!

bring money for lunch...they give you like a $5 credit or something but the lunch cafeteria is pretty pricey, everyone had to use some of their own money too. i actually gave people money cause they didnt have enough. just a heads up!

it says we're getting a 6.50 voucher this year

i feel so lucky!

To all those who recieved the temple interview today or yesterday: What is the date on the letter? I'm trying to figure out how long did it take for the invite to reach you all. I live in Canada so it may be a while longer :( . Also, I recieved a call this morning (it appeared as "blocked call" on my display) but I'm not sure if it was from Temple. It seems like people with high stats are getting rejections from Temple and those with average are getting the interviews.

My stats:

cGPA: 3.19 ; sGPA: 3.12
DAT: 21/22/17

I hope I start getting interviews soon, God willing :( .

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine too!! but need to schedule it. ^^

To all those who recieved the temple interview today or yesterday: What is the date on the letter? I'm trying to figure out how long did it take for the invite to reach you all. I live in Canada so it may be a while longer :( . Also, I recieved a call this morning (it appeared as "blocked call" on my display) but I'm not sure if it was from Temple. It seems like people with high stats are getting rejections from Temple and those with average are getting the interviews.

My stats:

cGPA: 3.19 ; sGPA: 3.12
DAT: 21/22/17

I hope I start getting interviews soon, God willing :( .

i wonder if this is true, becuase i got the rejection letter yesterday :(
any my stats are considered "high stats" or above average dat scores, but only average gpas...3.3

why would they reject me and other people with high stats and accept and invite those with average like you said?:scared:

take into consideration who is in/out of state, as well as other factors such as what college you went to, extracurrric. activities, experience, personal statement, etc.

i wonder if this is true, becuase i got the rejection letter yesterday :(
any my stats are considered "high stats" or above average dat scores, but only average gpas...3.3

why would they reject me and other people with high stats and accept and invite those with average like you said?:scared:

Well it isn't all about the stats. There's the personal statement, too. And, don't forget, that they probably expect that people with high stats are just using them as back-ups. That could hinder them from choosing people with stellar stats. But, of course, I am not the authority on the subject. And, I'm still waiting to hear good news from them... hopefully.

Temple is an above average school in a horrible area. I interviewed there last year. It's not so bad during the day, but the place literally clears out when the sun goes down because it's not safe to be there--faculty, students and our tour guide all told us the same thing. Temple's main selling point is that you'll work on a clinical population unlike most other d-schools in the country. You'll probably extract over 100 teeth during your rotations, have a ton of full-mouth cases, etc etc. It's a good place clinically, but I don't know a single person who interviewed there and felt ok about the safety of the area.

Temple is an excellent school in a horrible area. That is what makes it so great. If you want to know what a dentist does and be prepared to practice dentistry, go to Temple. If you want to watch someone else be a dentist and learn how to be a dentist when you get out of school, then go somewhere else. Temple's area is what makes it so great. You go to the school at 6:30 a.m. (when the doors open) and there are literally 50-100 people hoping that a student has a cancellation so they can be seen. At Temple you won't have graduate students taking your cases because they have their own patients and don't need you. You will actually get to perform every procedure instead of watching someone else do it. You will be prepared to be a dentist when you leave. When the boards come around you will have plenty of patients to choose from. You won't have to pay someone to come, or fly someone in and if your patient does not show, you can go to the waiting room and grab somebody. So, the area may suck, but that is what makes Temple so great. They graduate hundreds of MDs, DMDs, PharmDs, PTs, etc and they do not have any problems with the area. You are going to be a professional student, so be smart, and you will be far more competent in dentistry than most of your peers when you graduate from Temple.

I interviewed there and felt great about the area. From the dental school to the hospital, all the buildings are only a few years old. It looks great. Don't go down dark alleys, don't fraternize with the bums, etc, and you will be fine. Use your head. Temple has the second largest police force in the state. You will be fine if you use your head.

if memory serves me right, the letter said that temple has a 90% MATCH RATE

that doesn't mean that 90% of the class get into specialities

that means that 90% of the grads who apply to post-grad get matched

this either means:

1) a very small # of ppl want to go into postgrad after temple
2) most grads enter lower-level postgrad education, not the top 3 specialties

So is it ture 1/4 applicants that interview are accepted? Just curious b/c I saw this on another thread but can't find it..

i'm thinking of doing the same...

You should give urself a chance to decide on where you wanna go for dental school. Don't EVER listen to anybody saying oh Temple's area is this or that! I know it gets expensive going to interviews but it's worth to have an opportunity to pick your ideal school out of a few.
For anyone that has lived in a big city, I gotta tell you Temple's area is not surprising at all. It's just a poor and underserved area which actually helps us students as far as learning dentistry and having adequate number of patients.
Good luck to you all & use your own brain don't let other people judge for you

Just got my Temple invite. The letter they sent claims a 90% acceptance rate of their graduates into post-doc programs. That seems like an absolutely amazing stat and I'm wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this school?

Remember that post-doc programs include GPRs and AEGDs, many of which aren't very difficult to get into. Don't confuse post-doc placement with specialty placement.

in the dental forum, theres a thread about people being satisfied with their schools. i noticed that a lot of people at temple weren't satisfied after going there, so you might want to find that thread to see if they mention anything that you dont know already.

KHANSAHAAB said:
It seems like people with high stats are getting rejections from Temple and those with average are getting the interviews.

I sure do hope this isn't true lol

it says we're getting a 6.50 voucher this year

i feel so lucky!

Lucky for what?! The $1.50 increase for the food voucher?:laugh:

I interviewed there a long time ago, but I remember the food in that cafeteria sucking major donkey balls. Everything about my time at temple disappointed me: the faculty I met, Brian Hahn, the interview, the dental students, the students i was interviewing with, Brian Hahn, the facilities, the location, not being able to get a cab for 30 minutes after the interview because the location is such crap (despite calling repeatedly), Brian Hahn. But hey, a dental school is a dental school, and beggars can't be choosers.

I think there has been a few of us with average stats getting an interview at temple..not everyone...I'm sure it happens at most schools where they at least interview applicants with 1000+ hours in everything(EC and experience) and average DAT scores/gpa or vice versa.......I'm thinking they are looking for diversity esp. disadvantage applicants....I'm not saying this is true but I've done a lot of research on the school and it seems like they look for diversity in applicants..IMO
I sure do hope this isn't true lol

Hey tissy, what school do you go to?

I hail from the LA area as well