Temple Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nomar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an interview at Temple in late November, does anyone have any recommendations for hotels and transportation methods? Thanks. I'm a little worried about the group interview, anyone with the experience care to enlighten me? Thanks.

Nomar

Members don't see this ad.

I stayed at the Microtel Inn because it had an airport shuttle and it was the cheapest place I could find. The only problem is that it is really close to the airport so it is pretty far from the dental school. I was really nervous to take the subway by myself because I had never been to Philly so I took a cab. It was about $35, but the piece of mind knowing that I wouldn't get lost on the subway was well worth it (plus I picked a really cheap hotel). But other people had no problem taking the subway so you might want to look into that.

I really loved the group interview. There were 4 people in my group with one faculty member. I think it took away a lot of pressure. For the questions that I didn't have to answer first, it allowed to me think about my answer, which is good for me because I say stupid things if I don't stop and think first. I really wish more schools would do group interviews. I really enjoyed my time at Temple and I would be really happy to go there. Good luck!!

I interview there next week, I still need to book a hotel. I think I'm just going to try find a cheap hotel with a shuttle, how close to the airport is the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's about 25-30 minutes with decent traffic. Although the day I went, the traffic was pretty bad so make sure you plan for that too.

If you stay in Center City on or near Broad st, you can take the Broad St.(orange) subway line to the Allegheny stop, and the school is right there next to the subway exit. Give yourself 45mins to be safe (way safe).

From the airport, with traffic a car ride to Temple Dental could take as long as 45 mins at that time of day (8am-ish). I would definitely plan an hour to give yourself plenty of error space. Make sure the taxi driver takes you to the right campus (Health Sciences campus) not the main campus. Or take the regional train (R1, I think) to suburban station, switch over to the broad st subway line and the same directions as above. Check out septa.org for prices, schedules, etc.

Don't sweat the interview, its nothing to worry about. Also, I was a little apprehensive about the interview based on what I had read about Philly and the school itself. But I really loved Temple, and Philadelphia!

I took the subway, but had someone I know tell me what stops to get off at.

If you stay in Center City on or near Broad st, you can take the Broad St.(orange) subway line to the Allegheny stop, and the school is right there next to the subway exit. Give yourself 45mins to be safe (way safe).

From the airport, with traffic a car ride to Temple Dental could take as long as 45 mins at that time of day (8am-ish). I would definitely plan an hour to give yourself plenty of error space. Make sure the taxi driver takes you to the right campus (Health Sciences campus) not the main campus. Or take the regional train (R1, I think) to suburban station, switch over to the broad st subway line and the same directions as above. Check out septa.org for prices, schedules, etc.

Exactly what I needed thanks!!!

The subway was fairly easy to figure out for even a newbie. The Broad Street Line stops at Allgeheny as someone said, and this puts you literally 50 ft. from the school entrance. To get back to the airport is a little harder (but still worth it cause it's cheap!). Take the Broad Street line going South and get off at the City Hall exit. From there you have to walk through the subway concourse to the Regional Rail Line. There's signs to direct you and the employees will point it out if you can't figure it out. From there you buy a ticket for the R1 Line to the airport ($6 at peak time). The R1 leaves about every 30 min from the City Hall station.
The subway was a great way to experience part of the city and fun for those that don't get to ride on them where they live. I recommend trying it.

Your welcomed. Good Luck! :luck:

Thanks! I finally booked a hotel for this Thursday in Center City; I really need to stop procrastinating because there were only a few hotels available and nothing cheap, oh well. The plan is to take the R1 to Suburban station and walk to the hotel and take the Broad St. line to Temple in the morning.

Coming home I need a little advice, I was planning on just taking the Broad St. back to Race St. pick up my bag from the hotel/change out of my suit and then walking to Suburban station to take the R1 back to the airport. The problem is time, the latest return flight I could get book was 4:30, will I be able to make the flight with my post interview plan?

You can take your bag to the interview with you (it will be placed in an office). Interviews start around 12:30 and usually lasts about an hour or so.

Good luck!

The easiest thing is to bring your stuff to the interview and put them in Brian's office. Then just change at the school. It worked for me. If anyone is looking for a good place to stay, the Alexander Inn is really nice and cheaper than anything near center city. THe subway is easy to use and easy to figure out.

The easiest thing is to bring your stuff to the interview and put them in Brian's office. Then just change at the school. It worked for me. If anyone is looking for a good place to stay, the Alexander Inn is really nice and cheaper than anything near center city. The subway is easy to use and easy to figure out.

I just changed my room to the Alexander, saved me $80. Thanks for the tip :)

good luck in your interview. I sit at E6 in the preclinic. Stop by and say hi if you wish.:thumbup:

Im going to Temple tommrow, If I come from the north is taking I-95 to the center city exit via vinestreet express the best way?? then u stay on vinetreet and then make a right turn onto N broad.? any input would be great

thanks

So, what time does the interview get over? and/or What's the latest flight I can take?

So, what time does the interview get over? and/or What's the latest flight I can take?

I think it was done around 2, and you can plan how long it takes to get back to the airport by planning your trip on the SEPTA web site (if you're going to do public transport).

The subway was fairly easy to figure out for even a newbie. The Broad Street Line stops at Allgeheny as someone said, and this puts you literally 50 ft. from the school entrance. To get back to the airport is a little harder (but still worth it cause it's cheap!). Take the Broad Street line going South and get off at the City Hall exit. From there you have to walk through the subway concourse to the Regional Rail Line. There's signs to direct you and the employees will point it out if you can't figure it out. From there you buy a ticket for the R1 Line to the airport ($6 at peak time). The R1 leaves about every 30 min from the City Hall station.
The subway was a great way to experience part of the city and fun for those that don't get to ride on them where they live. I recommend trying it.

Super helpful information, from everyone! Thank you!!!

when you sit down in the group, do not sit directly to the right of the man in the front. There were 5 ppl, and I got grilled to answer every single question instantly while everyone else had like 5 mins to think of some answer. Im quick on my feet though, they were all simple questions. Def would not have wanted to be in the Temple interview as my first one.just my 2 cents

when you sit down in the group, do not sit directly to the right of the man in the front. There were 5 ppl, and I got grilled to answer every single question instantly while everyone else had like 5 mins to think of some answer. Im quick on my feet though, they were all simple questions. Def would not have wanted to be in the Temple interview as my first one.just my 2 cents

Our interviewer switched back and forth when asking questions, she made it very stress free. It seemed like they just wanted to see if we could handle the social aspect of dentistry because they already knew we could handle the academics from our apps.

PS, the only thing the interviewer knew about us was what we turned in on our pre-interview survey; nothing from our AADSAS.