Temple medical school expanding

Started by Eric01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:laugh: I beat her!

What we really need are more residency spots, but that's a whole 'nother story...

Ya got me.

I think it's great there will be another school on the west side of the state. The medical school concentration in PA is very east-heavy. Penn, Temple, Jeff, Drexel, PCOM and TCMC are in Eastern PA, Penn State is pretty much central, and UPitt and LECOM's 2 campuses... campi? (is the Greensburg campus even open yet?) are all they have on the west side of the state.
 
The medical school concentration in PA seems higher than average already, no?

They have as many schools as California and a 1/3 of the population. I guess that's what happens when your state isn't bankrupt :/

Actually, I'm jealous of the entire east coast. Look at the density of MD/DO schools across the country:

sVzr3.jpg
 
There are no true state schools in Pennsylvania, while most med schools in CA are UC's.

I'd trade places in a heart beat. Look at that map density. True we have state schools, but we have no safety schools - at least MD wise.

Not that I'm hating, I'm just jealous. I have to travel 8 hours by car just to visit 3 of my in state schools.
 
I'd trade places in a heart beat. Look at that map density. True we have state schools, but we have no safety schools - at least MD wise.

Not that I'm hating, I'm just jealous. I have to travel 8 hours by car just to visit 3 of my in state schools.

well I wouldn't want to be a CA applicant either, considering your tuition is ~$30k in "fees".
 
well I wouldn't want to be a CA applicant either, considering your tuition is ~$30k in "fees".

:laugh: I started undergrad freshman year with 8,000 in "fees" (excluding housing) and now it's up to 13,000 in "fees" in just under 3 years. UCs used to be awesome because they were a great deal money wise, but it's starting to change 🙁
 
I'd trade places in a heart beat. Look at that map density. True we have state schools, but we have no safety schools - at least MD wise.

Not that I'm hating, I'm just jealous. I have to travel 8 hours by car just to visit 3 of my in state schools.

While on the other hand, from New Jersey you can travel 3 hours by car to visit any of 8 medical schools!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seeing this map reminds me why Washington educates the WWAMI states. That's a whole lot of empty space and it doesn't even show Alaska.
 
Ya got me.

I think it's great there will be another school on the west side of the state. The medical school concentration in PA is very east-heavy. Penn, Temple, Jeff, Drexel, PCOM and TCMC are in Eastern PA, Penn State is pretty much central, and UPitt and LECOM's 2 campuses... campi? (is the Greensburg campus even open yet?) are all they have on the west side of the state.
lecom has two campuses in PA? are they like the 7/11 of med schools? they're everywhere!
 
They have as many schools as California and a 1/3 of the population. I guess that's what happens when your state isn't bankrupt :/

Actually, I'm jealous of the entire east coast. Look at the density of MD/DO schools across the country:

The only effective comparison would be if you overlaid that on a layer showing pop. density.

Which btw, how did you get that map w/ schools in the first place?
 
I'd trade places in a heart beat. Look at that map density. True we have state schools, but we have no safety schools - at least MD wise.

Not that I'm hating, I'm just jealous. I have to travel 8 hours by car just to visit 3 of my in state schools.
Yea but our schools don't really give IS Preference so you might as well be from CA.

TCMC gives some IS preference, that's about it.
 
The only effective comparison would be if you overlaid that on a layer showing pop. density.

Which btw, how did you get that map w/ schools in the first place?

Not enough Photoshop skills! I just know California has below the average number of schools for its population.

Unless I've gone blind that map appears to be missing a few schools...

It might very well be - I know for sure the Texas schools are missing. I just went on Google maps and asked for every location with "school of medicine" or "college of medicine" in its name. It gave ~140 results (MD+DO?) so it's probably close.

Maybe one day I won't be lazy and I'll actually individually mark all the schools :laugh:
 
Yea but our schools don't really give IS Preference so you might as well be from CA.

TCMC gives some IS preference, that's about it.

Penn State has been doing better. About half of the class now is filled with ISers so we're getting somewhere.

But honestly, what's up PA why can't we have a school with reasonable tuition? How sad is it when the IS tuition (excluding everything else) for my state school (which is the cheapest option in PA) is 40K (and yes I can confirm this as I just received my financial package)? I mean granted whenever you calculate living expenses + other fees it comes out to 55K (due to Hershey's low cost of living) but still...that's nothing to brag about.
 
Last edited:
Huh. I wonder how much longer West Penn's even going to be open, with UPMC buying the entire city of Pittsburgh these days. They had to shut down their ED a few months ago.
 
Oh thats just great now Pennsylvania is on the verge of having double digit number of med schools. 🙄

What a joke. Pittsburgh has plenty of doctors, and not a single graduate of their crappy little campus expansion is going into rural medicine, the dean of that program is a fool and a liar.

Temple is quickly rising up the ranks to become like the DO clown schools that try to put up "expansion campuses" in every town with > 50k population.
 
Oh thats just great now Pennsylvania is on the verge of having double digit number of med schools. 🙄

What a joke. Pittsburgh has plenty of doctors, and not a single graduate of their crappy little campus expansion is going into rural medicine, the dean of that program is a fool and a liar.

Temple is quickly rising up the ranks to become like the DO clown schools that try to put up "expansion campuses" in every town with > 50k population.

I don't know about a single graduate, but I do think it is a little naive to believe they're going to be staying in rural areas of Pennsylvania.

Assuming residency problems are fixed, I like the idea of opening up more schools.