Temple/NYMC/MCP Hahnemann

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruno

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were accepted to these three schools, which one would you attend?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I just wanted to get a feel for how premeds would estimate the relative reputations of these schools, specifically in terms of clinical training and research opportunities.

Hey Bruno,

I didn't take offense at your question! I didn't read you post to mean that you were accepted to all 3 and couldn't pick one..I saw your post as an open invitation to all who have been to these schools, to say which one they liked and why..I don't see how anyone's feelings can get hurt with this post!

Anyway....I have only been to NYMC so i can't say much..I did like NYMC..they have a nice campus, lots of opportunities for diverse clinical experience..They also have research opportunities..although I don't think they are big on research.Its close to the city..but far enough if you need to get away to relax etc..overall...nice school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted to Temple and MCP and interviewed at NYMC, but later withdrew. I would attend Temple over MCP and NYMC. While I thought NYMC had great facilities, I thought the administration was horrible, especially after trying to schedule an interview date and then given the Spanish Inquistion by the Dean of Students!

Temple has a better national and regional reputation than MCP and is in a better financial situation. They have a great clinical training program for the last two years of medical school. I currently work in a hospital and the doctors told me to attend Temple over MCP. The location of Temple isn't great, but it affords for awesome clinical exposure and you know you won't be shipped all over the state of PA like MCP would do for your training.

I wasn't too fond of NYMC only b/c their students seemed so dismal and discontent. They told me repeatedly how much they partied, but they didn't have time to go to the city so they went to White Plains. Also, it's 45 minutes outside of the city, so you'll need a car to do grocery shopping. If you do a search about NYMC, I wrote about my interview experience there.

Good luck!

hey,

i haven't been accepted at any of the above schools yet, but i have interviewed at all of them. to be honest they all seemed like pretty nice schools to me, but they did have their differences. first of all, one has to really look at what they want from medical school. i am personally looking to get a great clinical education because i think that all schools do a good enough job with the pre-clinical stuff. i would probably narrow it down between nymc and temple and from there, it would be pretty tough, cause nymc students can live in manhattan their 3rd and 4th years and get some excellent clinical exposure, but temple hospital and the surrounding area had quite an apeal for me. although, the commuting part of temple was a bit of a turn off, i'd probably end up there, that is if i didn't qualify for nymc financial aid, which is cheaper than government aid, but even then, philly just seemed like a neat city to live in too.

just my view on things though.

I haven't seen Temple, but I've interviewed at NYMC and MCPHU. To me, MCP is unquestionably the better of the two, being close to a city (there is a free shuttle to the downtown hospital) while MYNC is in a forest in westchester co. I sedond Dr. Kermit's comment about the students at NYMC, I was told several times about how they partied so much but it was still very inconvenient to go into NYC, and even to get to a grocery store unless you have a car. I also got a few "this is the only school I got into" responses to my "why NYMC?" question... this doesn't seem like a good sign! I have not been to Temple, but it is definitely in a more stable financial situation than the other two (state funding helps), although located in one of the most ghetto areas you could possibly find. Also, Temple is probably a more reputable name, but when MCPHU's name is changed to Drexel U. next year, that might be better for them?

About turn offs I had about NYMC... I asked the students the students why they attended their school. I also got "I didn't get into any other school." "I was looking at MCP, Albany, and NYMC and I wanted to be in NYC." Now, for the later answer, they would also tell me that they didn't have the time to go to the city b/c they had to take a bus to the train station and then the train only ran every hour. Also, you would need a car to go anywhere.

I thought they could compensate with their clinical training, but I found out that if you want to do your rotations in the city that the training wasn't as didactic as being in Westchester. Apparently, they are really busy in Westchester with their specialities, but down at St. Vincent, there are so many hospitals in NYC, that it isn't heavily trafficed. Also, their is a lottery of where you want to do your rotations and which rotations are more important to you. Like MCP, you could be told to go all over NY (including upstate) a few days before your next rotation.

Those were my impressions of NYMC. I heard MCP is still undergoing financial hardship and this was only after I had been accepted and inquired about their situation for next year. I really like the technology they had there, but other than that their pass rate for the boards was low (~85%) I believe. Also, they send you all over for your clinical training too and there wasn't much to do around the campus.

I really like Temple and would probably have attended it over my other school options. But, then I was accepted to one of my top choices and withdrew from everywhere I had been accepted except Temple. It's cheaper for me as a PA resident than my first choice private school, AE, but I think in the long run AE has more to offer me with personal and professional goals.

Good luck with your decision. I did a lot of research on MCP and Temple early on and if you'd like other opinions, I'd be glad to help you out.

Hi,

I'm a third-year at MCP. I'm not trying to sound defensive, but our hospital's finances have been fine for over three years (no debt, running a thing profit margin). Penn is over $400 million in debt, Temple is laying off a lot of faculty from money losses, and Jefferson is doing fine. The Tenet hospitals are basically running even, and have been for years. The med school itself has been running in the red for a few years. With budget management the deficit was reduced each of the past 3 years, and this year it is now under a balanced budget. Drexel was waiting for the med school to reach a balanced budget before they would merge us into their University.

On Feb. 28th, they will be approving the merger, so around July the school will be changed to Drexel University - MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine. This is the most likely name, though it's not set in stone yet. It could be Drexel University School of Medicine, too. Either way, in a few years, I'm imagining we would be referred to as "Drexel" by the general populace. So, anyway, what I'm trying to convey is that no one I know of around the med school worries of such $ issues, and haven't in years. I'm not sure of whom you spoke to. Tenet stock has doubled in the past year as well. I hope that clears stuff up somewhat. It feels wierd to be still talking about such issues, but I guess there's an information time-lag of sorts with the general public.

Hey,
These multiple topics(MCP/Temple/NYMC/Jeff/Albany...) really mean all these schools are pretty much close to each other in terms of reputation, cost and so on. Therefore your personal reasons (like having a car for Dr. Kermit :) would matter the most in our desisions.
BTW 85% on USMLE1 at MCPHU is coming from their PBL students who managed to score only 70%.

You are correct. :clap:

jack, i take it you were in the lecture-based curriculum. could you tell me some about the differences b/w the two programs, are the PBL students lazier, not as "intelligent" or hardworking, are the lectures just set up and organized better...what's the problem with the PBL. it's a major turn on for me school-wise, and i was hoping to stress that in my upcoming interview, but suddenly i fear i might be viewed as lazy or whatever rep the PBLers have generated for themselves. please share some info with us. thankS!!

I'm not sure. When I started here, the pass rate for both pre-clinical tracks was 93-94%. The last two years it has gone down, particularly in PBL. I know the administration here is really going full-force to remedy this, but as a 3rd year I'm a bit removed from it. I suspect it is perhaps a problem with the students, that maybe they let in a few too many people the last few years that they shouldn't have....who knows. I don't think PBL kids are lazier...some complain that it's because they have essay exams, as opposed to MCQ exams, which is the format of the boards. I don't know how valid that is, though...I think all will right itself in time.

Also, to follow up with qwert's comments...the post i had on a different thread called "another vs. thread" (i think), gave the links for temple's and drexel's (should i call it that yet? ;) ) and showed that they are basically identical in quality, as are all the schools he mentioned. as i stated, one can say "school x is more reputable than school y", but unless you're talking about a really top-notch place, like Harvard, UCSF, Wash U., Duke, Penn, etc., it's all academic, and makes no difference in your career. It's up to you as an individual. A similar argument can be made for residency, but it's actually more complex...so I won't digress.

Caveman: I'm curious as to why you are so interested in the PBL curriculum? I don't want to sound accusational or anything, but are you thinking that expressing an interest in PIL will increase your chances of being accepted? When I interviewed there, it seemed like most people (i would guess over 80%) said they were interested in PIL, but after being accepted it seems that most select IFM. this just seemed a little strange and I can't help but think that poeple are just trying to find a way to set themselves apart, you know?

Hell no i'm not doing it for that. i didn't know people were doing that!?!! that kinda makes me not wanna mention PBL. but it really is what interests me..i hate lectures..i can't learn in lectures adn i take terrible notes. they're a waste to me.

i was gonna mention my leadership abilities and how i could really bring a lot to a PBL group. i also just appreciate the flexibility b/w curriculi (i can probably sneak into the lectures and still be in PBL, so i'll "benefit" from lectures somewhat).

but anyway, if scrubs are really saying that just to get in it'll make me rethink how i wanna express my interest in PBL.

i did not know that saying i like pbl style learning set me apart, or gave me special consideration, but if it does..i'll milk it ;)

why would saying you want to be in the PBL help you get in??? ••

I don't think that saying you want to be in PBL would help to get in, and that's my point. I actually bring it up because someone I know is interviewing there in a couple of weeks and brought this up with me... basically she asked if that since there are only a few people in PBL, would it seem like they would be more likely to accept a person who wanted to go that way. I hope that poeple aren't faking the funk for this reason, and it seems pretty useless to do that.

BTW, if you do better in small group discussion, then this school is probably great for you and I really would emphasize that in the interview. And if you wanted to "sneak" into lectures, I don't think that it would be a problem at all, I was thinking the same thing. They actually telecast lectures onto screens in several study rooms, for people who want to watch the lecture in a smaller room, or talk during it. The technology at this school is really something else!
The problem I do see with PBL is that you are somewhat isolated from the rest of the class, so it might be kinda wierd not having contact with very many people.

well you're not in contact with such a large number of students only because they accept so many people. still, there's more than enough in the PBL that you DO keep in contact with, correct?

I think i Will emphasize that i'd like the pbl because it's what i like period. actually, it's the only thing i've seen so far (on paper) that's caught my interest! it's the major selling point for me..and maybe it'll be my major selling point for them.

You have to apply to the pbl after you are accepted (and they accept people and then don't accept them into the pbl) so I don't think it would help if you do say you want to go to pbl. When I interviewed back in dec they told us they only take 25% of the class pbl and they already had accepted some into the track, I would probably go with I really like the school but would like to explore both options. :eek: