Temple (OOS) vs. UoP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeinatedpredent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a really hard time deciding between the two. I think at the beginning of this process UoP was one of my top choices because it's freaking UoP...but I was pleasantly surprised by Temple! Interested to hear your thoughts on my situation! Here are my pros/cons thoughts.

Temple
Pro :
- Amazing clinical program
- Felt really comfortable at this school
- Students seem really happy
- Philadelphia seems like a nice city to live in as a student
- The tuition is about $87k less than UoP
- Ofc not sure if i want to specialize but seems like it would be a little easier from here than UoP due to more research opportunities and an extra year to prepare for any exams/letters of rec/applications etc.
Con:
- Have to move OOS: this is really the only con I see but it can be a big one

UoP
Pro:
- 3 year program
- In SF which I am familiar with
- Clinical program
Con:
- The students seemed way more stressed out than at any of my other schools I interviewed at
- Not a lot of exposure to cad/cam or implant restoration in comparison to other schools I interviewed at
- $$$ but does the one extra year of practicing make up for the difference between tuition+interest for the two schools in the long run???

So do I plant my roots in the Bay Area/CA and get done a year earlier, or do I venture out east, make some new memories and figure out my next steps as they come!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Having a really hard time deciding between the two. I think at the beginning of this process UoP was one of my top choices because it's freaking UoP...but I was pleasantly surprised by Temple! Interested to hear your thoughts on my situation! Here are my pros/cons thoughts.

Temple
Pro :
- Amazing clinical program
- Felt really comfortable at this school
- Students seem really happy
- Philadelphia seems like a nice city to live in as a student
- The tuition is about $87k less than UoP
- Ofc not sure if i want to specialize but seems like it would be a little easier from here than UoP due to more research opportunities and an extra year to prepare for any exams/letters of rec/applications etc.
Con:
- Have to move OOS: this is really the only con I see but it can be a big one

UoP
Pro:
- 3 year program
- In SF which I am familiar with
- Clinical program
Con:
- The students seemed way more stressed out than at any of my other schools I interviewed at
- Not a lot of exposure to cad/cam or implant restoration in comparison to other schools I interviewed at
- $$$ but does the one extra year of practicing make up for the difference between tuition+interest for the two schools in the long run???

So do I plant my roots in the Bay Area/CA and get done a year earlier, or do I venture out east, make some new memories and figure out my next steps as they come!

you get one extra year at PEAK salary, not one extra year at starting salary
if you are planning on working in the SF bay area, definitely choose UOP