Temple or Penn??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an asian out of Stater which school do I have a better chance at?? Temple or Penn?? Temple has lower stats 18.5/18.5 and Penn has 21/19 BUT temple accepts 23 asians out of 1200 and Penn accepts 51 out of 850. So which one should I apply to?? Which school is better overall??

Members don't see this ad.

As an asian out of Stater which school do I have a better chance at?? Temple or Penn?? Temple has lower stats 18.5/18.5 and Penn has 21/19 BUT temple accepts 23 asians out of 1200 and Penn accepts 51 out of 850. So which one should I apply to?? Which school is better overall??

There was around 4000 applicants applied to Temple this year, not 1200. Whats important is your overall application including gpas, dat, lor, and EC not your ethnicity. They won't reject or accept an applicant just because you are asian. Chances are same for all others in terms of ethnicity for most schools. Only school I know that gives priority to minorities is Meharry. But i don't think asians are minority in any medical fields.

So which one should I apply to?? Which school is better overall??

Well it all depends on what you want to achieve in a dental school. If you're planning to specialize, interested in research, want prestige then I believe Penn is a better choice. If you're looking for more clinical experience and ready to expose yourself to as many cases as you can during the school years, then go for Temple. I believe Temple is top notch in the nation in terms of clinical experience. Either way, they're both great schools. GL!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply,
I mean temple had 1200 asians applied and accepted 23. :) (I got the info out of the new ADEA book.)
I just want to applied to the school that I am most likely to get accepted into.

There was around 4000 applicants applied to Temple this year, not 1200. Whats important is your overall application including gpas, dat, lor, and EC not your ethnicity. They won't reject or accept an applicant just because you are asian. Chances are same for all others in terms of ethnicity for most schools. Only school I know that gives priority to minorities is Meharry. But i don't think asians are minority in any medical fields.

I want to specialize, is temple a bad choice then?

IMO no school is bad for specializing. Its matter of how you do. What I meant was that more people tend to specialize in schools like Penn. In my interview, Brian said that last year in Temple, only 9 people applied for ortho and 3 got in. But i heard many people saying that if you want to become oral surgeon, Temple is a great choice so you might want to research on that.

Do well on your boards and you might be able to specialize. Schools that tend to send MORE graduates into specialty programs are "didactic" (they focus on filling your mind with knowledge) schools (i.e. Penn, Columbia, UConn), also statistically they draw the strongest applicants. At clinical schools (i.e. UDM), its possible to specialize, but the main goal of those schools is to make you a general dentist, so after 4 years you will have the training needed to make a living.

I want to do ortho. 9 applied and 3 got in?? good enough for me I guess...:D
Thanks alot!

IMO no school is bad for specializing. Its matter of how you do. What I meant was that more people tend to specialize in schools like Penn. In my interview, Brian said that last year in Temple, only 9 people applied for ortho and 3 got in. But i heard many people saying that if you want to become oral surgeon, Temple is a great choice so you might want to research on that.

why don't you just apply to both? You can't decide based on that kind of thinking (X accepts more asians while Y accepts this many asians)