Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Temple or UMDNJ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by NJKid86, Dec 2, 2008.

1. NJKid86

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, quick question..

I have two acceptances, UMDNJ and Temple. I live in New Jersey, so UMDNJ would be in-state tuition. However, during my interviews and through my research, I generally feel more comfortable with Temple. Philadelphia is my city; I know the area rather well. Newark is foreign to me. Temple would be roughly 50-60k more for 4 years. I just wanted peoples honest opinions considering my situation. Any honest advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. whlee84

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    choose wherever you see yourself living for the next 4 years. you seem to like temple more, so go for it. $50,000 difference is really not much in the long run....definitely NOT worth giving up the place you truly want to be

4. dr bojangles

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    my opinion is go where its cheaper, its the same education. but more important, go where you'd be comfortable living for a few years. i suppose $50k total difference isn't so bad (unless you meant $50k/year!).
    newark isn't as bad as people say, its a fairly small city and the campus is quite safe. most D1's live in the dorms, and plenty of students are in the surrounding towns (quaint, wealthy suburbs). whereas i've heard safety is more of an issue on the temple dent campus in philly.
    good luck with your decision.

5. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Im a Temple student and can tell you that this is just not true. If you use common sense, you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't heard of any incidents involving students since I have been here and never have felt that my safety was at risk.

6. NJKid86

Pre-Dental
    thanks for the advice, anyone else? please

7. baseriar

I'm wait listed at UMDNJ, so I say go to Temple....hehe, I'm kidding, good luck with your decision...I'm wait listed though :-( 2rd year in a row. Im giving up.

8. ChrisM07

ChrisM07 Dental Student
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yeah, I second this. You know automatically where you should NOT be going so if you stay clear, you're ok. Also Temple boasts the fact that they have the fifth largest police force in the state or something on campus.

Not to mention, they have a sick clinical program and they're renovating everything soon.

I work there now in the lab and the students seem to enjoy themselves.

9. NJKid86

Pre-Dental
    thanks, i find your advice helpful.

10. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yeah temple would be ~50K more... before interest!!! That's a lotta money if you ask me.

11. toothygoodness

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    At my Temple interview they did tell us that if you used common sense you would be fine, but when we were able to mingle with the dental students in a classroom the random dental student I began chatting with told me right off the bat about a dental student who had been mugged a few days before at one of the entrances to the school right around 5.