NJKid86

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, quick question..

I have two acceptances, UMDNJ and Temple. I live in New Jersey, so UMDNJ would be in-state tuition. However, during my interviews and through my research, I generally feel more comfortable with Temple. Philadelphia is my city; I know the area rather well. Newark is foreign to me. Temple would be roughly 50-60k more for 4 years. I just wanted peoples honest opinions considering my situation. Any honest advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

whlee84

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
choose wherever you see yourself living for the next 4 years. you seem to like temple more, so go for it. $50,000 difference is really not much in the long run....definitely NOT worth giving up the place you truly want to be

dr bojangles

10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Dental Student
my opinion is go where its cheaper, its the same education. but more important, go where you'd be comfortable living for a few years. i suppose $50k total difference isn't so bad (unless you meant $50k/year!).
newark isn't as bad as people say, its a fairly small city and the campus is quite safe. most D1's live in the dorms, and plenty of students are in the surrounding towns (quaint, wealthy suburbs). whereas i've heard safety is more of an issue on the temple dent campus in philly.
good luck with your decision.

About the Ads

dmd2011

Random Hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Dental Student
my opinion is go where its cheaper, its the same education. but more important, go where you'd be comfortable living for a few years. i suppose $50k total difference isn't so bad (unless you meant $50k/year!).
newark isn't as bad as people say, its a fairly small city and the campus is quite safe. most D1's live in the dorms, and plenty of students are in the surrounding towns (quaint, wealthy suburbs). whereas i've heard safety is more of an issue on the temple dent campus in philly.
good luck with your decision.
Im a Temple student and can tell you that this is just not true. If you use common sense, you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't heard of any incidents involving students since I have been here and never have felt that my safety was at risk.

baseriar

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
Status
I'm wait listed at UMDNJ, so I say go to Temple....hehe, I'm kidding, good luck with your decision...I'm wait listed though :-( 2rd year in a row. Im giving up.

ChrisM07

Dental Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2007
Status
Dental Student
If you use common sense, you shouldn't have any problems.
Yeah, I second this. You know automatically where you should NOT be going so if you stay clear, you're ok. Also Temple boasts the fact that they have the fifth largest police force in the state or something on campus.

Not to mention, they have a sick clinical program and they're renovating everything soon.

I work there now in the lab and the students seem to enjoy themselves.

dent2009

YEEE BOI
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
yeah temple would be ~50K more... before interest!!! That's a lotta money if you ask me.

toothygoodness

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Im a Temple student and can tell you that this is just not true. If you use common sense, you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't heard of any incidents involving students since I have been here and never have felt that my safety was at risk.
At my Temple interview they did tell us that if you used common sense you would be fine, but when we were able to mingle with the dental students in a classroom the random dental student I began chatting with told me right off the bat about a dental student who had been mugged a few days before at one of the entrances to the school right around 5.

About the Ads