Temple Resident Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocky21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I can establish resident status for tution purposes at Temple??? I am out of state and considering going to Temple this Fall. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Rocky......Ive researched this a lot, and from talking to many students and admin at Temple, the easiest and sure way of getting instate tuition is by buying property in Pennsylvania. I recommend this to ALL INCOMING TEMPLE STUDENTS!!!

Now, this may seem like a huge expense, but Philly is the 2nd cheapest place in the US next to Buffalo to buy real estate. I just recently bought a 800 sq. ft, 1 bedroom condo for $54,000, and since we save $40,000 with instate tuition, you can see that its a wise investment, cause not only do you basically get a free house that can be easily sold afterwards (with the right purchase), but you have free housing for your 4 years at Temple. Great deal!!

You can request a pamphlet from Temple regarding instate tuition.....I got it a couple of weeks ago in the mail. The admin at Temple seem so shocked that I was looking for housing since Februrary and that Ive already requested the housing information for Temple and the application for instate residency already. Dont worry.....im not some geeky keener......Im leaving for Costa Rica in June for the rest of the summer, so I wanted to get everything done with before I left.......Im pretty sure that Temple is gonna send you all this stuff in the mail within the next couple of months.....

Ok, but back to the topic and what else I know....You can also do other things such as:

(a) Get a Penn drivers license
(b) Get Philly auto insurance
(c) register a car in Philly
(d) open a bank account in Philly

I will do all of the above as well. You could also:

(e) register to vote (I cant vote cause I only have a greencard)
(f) join local organizations

These things Ive listed from a-f are not necessary, but I will be doing it anyways cause I have to......the only thing necessary is buying property. From what Ive been told by everyone is once you buy property, you are golden. Looking forward to meeting you at orientation in AUgust.....Take care!

Thanks Avingupta for giving me the inside. I really appreciate it. Would you know how soon I would have to purchase real estate in Phili before we receive in state residence status for tution purposes this upcoming Fall 2004 semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
The application for instate residency is due on September 1......so by that date, you should have all your documents ready such as the deed, drivers license, bank account, etc. Of course, its always beneficial to have these things in as early as possible to cause any delays/problems.

One last thing avingupta, how long would it take me to gain residence in Phili assuming I do invest in real estate? Thanks again so much for helping out.....this could be a deciding factor where I end up going next year:)

If you buy before September 1 and get your application in, then you will get residency right away...of course, the committee has to decide on this, but from what Ive been told, once you buy property, there is nothing more you have to do....you can contact Temple to confirm this.

Ive been told that it can take a couple of months to process the residency application, so since tuition is paid for in September, they charge you out of state tuition at first, and once your residency application is approved, they refund you the difference (around $10,000). Thats how it works.

You don't even have to have everything completed by Sept. 1. I got in state tuition my first semester because my dad got a job in PA and his boss wrote a letter. I was in the process of getting a driver's lisence when I turned in my application. It does take a while to get the reduced rate but there are ways around paying your bills right away. I still technically owe money from last semester. I've heard from some people that it is hard to get in state but everyone I talked to that tried got it.