Temple Univer. any comments...??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Any comments on Temple? How is the school? any pros and cons?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

docs said:
Hi Everyone,
Any comments on Temple? How is the school? any pros and cons?
thanks.

I kind of randomly applied to Temple... but when I went there for the interview, I was really impressed. The fact that they have a waiting list for patients, means you never have to fight for them. When I went to VCU, I actually heard 4th year students worrying about finding patients for boards etc. I dont think you would have that type of problem at temple. The clinical is excellent from what I've heard.

The other good thing is that the students there genuinely seemed happy. I went to VCU and Maryland, and the students I was paired with were actually complained to me extensively about the school. I felt overall the atmosphere at Temple was more lively.

The only thing that sucks about Temple is Philly, its a dump. Brian, the admissions guy will try and convince you its not dangerous and that it is a great place to live in bla bla bla, but the fact is, he himself said "you cant walk three blocks east or west of the school without getting mugged, raped, killed etc..." It appears to be a decent school, but the external environment is something I will think about before I consider going there.

The other thing that bothered me about Temple is that they worked too hard to sell the school. As much I liked Brian, I felt like he was trying too hard to convince us. As well, I felt quite short changed during the interview, they only really asked me two questions. In a group interview, I dont understand how the faculty member could have possibly gotten to know me when he only asked me 2-3 questions. Also, everytime I tried to answer the question, he would interrupt and go into a monologue on what the thinks. Which leads me to think, are they evaluating us, or are we supposed to evaluate them during the interview? Other schools give you the information and let you form your own opinon on the school. I felt at Temple, they were trying to force their opinion on you. Basically I question whether the schools really is that great, or whether I was lead to believe it was.

dentist_to_be? said:
The only thing that sucks about Temple is Philly, its a dump. Brian, the admissions guy will try and convince you its not dangerous and that it is a great place to live in bla bla bla, but the fact is, he himself said "you cant walk three blocks east or west of the school without getting mugged, raped, killed etc..." It appears to be a decent school, but the environment is something I will think about before I consider going there.

I wouldnt say Philly as a city is a dump...perhaps North Philly where the school is, is kinda crappy, but Philly the city is great! Have you checked out Old City, manayunk?? Downtown Philly is very very nice!

About the muggings, thats funny cause me and most of my class park 3 blocks east/west of the school and not one of us has been killed! :oops:

A sophmore actually parks his BMW in the ghetto and he is still alive to this day!

The hype about Temple and its neighbourhood is just that....hype and nothing more. Of course its not the suburbs, but to me, its like any other American urban city. I notice you are from Montreal....if you are gonna consider a Canadian city to an American city, than yah, of course its a dump.

Also, Im pretty sure Brian says that stuff cause he wants to weed out the people who really dont want to goto the school....but thats just a theory of mine...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BadVibes said:
The hype about Temple and its neighbourhood is just that....hype and nothing more. Of course its not the suburbs, but to me, its like any other American urban city. I notice you are from Montreal....if you are gonna consider a Canadian city to an American city, than yah, of course its a dump.

Also, Im pretty sure Brian says that stuff cause he wants to weed out the people who really dont want to goto the school....but thats just a theory of mine...

I am comparing to other cities in the states. I am aware that even the most danagerous city in Canada is safer than the safest US city.

I was impressed by temple's internal environment, it was a lot of friendlier than other schools. It is high on my list for that reason, plus its strong clinical. However, I am not going to look forward to living in philly, how are the residence areas?

Dr.BadVibes said:
I wouldnt say Philly as a city is a dump...perhaps North Philly where the school is, is kinda crappy, but Philly the city is great! Have you checked out Old City, manayunk?? Downtown Philly is very very nice!

About the muggings, thats funny cause me and most of my class park 3 blocks east/west of the school and not one of us has been killed! :oops:

A sophmore actually parks his BMW in the ghetto and he is still alive to this day!

temple is a great clinical school, ghetto areas usually have a big patient pool which helps the school become a great clinical school. usually at least and this is the case with temple. plus they have great clinical instructors

Hey, I'm a Temple med student who's originally from Montreal. :) My advice is to *not* live in Germantown (as I did), and shell out the $$$ to be in Center City instead. The Rittenhouse Square area is very nice and definitely non-dumpy, with a park and decent shopping area on Walnut (Barnes & Noble/Borders, the Gap, Bath & Body Works, etc).

Cars are expensive, but you can do without if needed thanks to the Broad St. Line subway. Which admittedly *is* horrid even compared to the uglier metro stations like Guy Concordia...but you'll get used to it. :cool:

dentist_to_be? said:
I am comparing to other cities in the states. I am aware that even the most danagerous city in Canada is safer than the safest US city.

I was impressed by temple's internal environment, it was a lot of friendlier than other schools. It is high on my list for that reason, plus its strong clinical. However, I am not going to look forward to living in philly, how are the residence areas?

You must not be familiar with Whistler (a ski resort village Northwest of Vancouver BC) where gangs of local thugs have been thumping on American vacationers who venture outside of the trendy zones.

groundhog said:
You must not be familiar with Whistler (a ski resort village Northwest of Vancouver BC) where gangs of local thugs have been thumping on American vacationers who venture outside of the trendy zones.

EESh! i never realized whistler was that bad! Arent they holding a lot of the olympics games there in 2008? Americans will really have to watch out then ;)

As you can tell by the time of this post, I just got home from lab quite late and IM STILL ALIVE!! Can you believe that!!! And I only got shot at a few times today!! But Im getting much better at dodging bullets....one thing you have to realize...as a Temple student, you really learn how to dodge bullets and jump fences quite fast....if I had a nickel for how many drug dealers I had to lose running through the side streets, hopping fences and into people's backyards....well, you know!!.....but it all becomes natural...you'd be suprised!!!

i lived on campus at temple for more than 2 years. i know several people who have gotten mugged on campus. north philly is not the safest place to be.

nicer places are not far away though, take the R5 to the suburbs or the "broad street orange line" downtown. who said it was horrid? i say it has character ;) :laugh:

Dr.BadVibes said:
As you can tell by the time of this post, I just got home from lab quite late and IM STILL ALIVE!! Can you believe that!!! And I only got shot at a few times today!! But Im getting much better at dodging bullets....one thing you have to realize...as a Temple student, you really learn how to dodge bullets and jump fences quite fast....if I had a nickel for how many drug dealers I had to lose running through the side streets, hopping fences and into people's backyards....well, you know!!.....but it all becomes natural...you'd be suprised!!!

Temple, great school, hope I get accepted. Like any economically depressed area, the rate of crime is usually higher in the theft category or crime of opportunity. Just be smart, don't leave valuables out and don't flash the bling, becuase you become an instant target. I really like the clnical standards of temple. Hey badvibes I thought you said the girls were alright at temple, there were some hot babes there, without a ring on the finger. Off all the schools I have interviewed at, temple was by far the most enjoyable.

kudos to temple
HD

I interviewed there and I WAS NO impressed. It was a dump and I did not feel safe when I drove in the night before.

I thing I would wait another year if Temple was the only school that picked me.

I think their basketball coach basically symbolizes the overall atmosphere up there.

DANGER>

cusp of carabelli said:
temple is a great clinical school....if you can get a chair in the right clinic...b/c you have to wait until 5 pm to pray to get a chair. oh wait...you have to get there by 4 just to fight for a computer so that you can wait 1 hr. to get a chair... And then you have to hope your patient will show up and is willing to pay for their extensive treatment plans that result from the years of neglect that they have. yeah...and then don't forget to not get credit for amalgams done just because you can't bring them back in for some reason to polish it. Basically covering requirements is the luck of the draw. If you get one of the few good patients in the pool then you are lucky ...but if you are cluttered with patients who no show you and waste your time...then you just feel like you're spinning your wheels. Just by the mass amounts of e-mails that i have recieved from seniors looking for board patients and requirments...sure doesn't seem like much of a surplus. Maybe i'm mad b/c i work my butt off everyday trying to see patients and am still behind in my clinic requirments for this year. :mad:

I knew there something fishy in their pitch... Temple worked WAY TOO hard to sell the school...

When I was at my interview in Temple i felt like i was in a car dealer getting hasseled to buy a car that i don't want. Brian acted like a car salesman, very unprofessional. All they did was bash other schools and praise their own, which i taught was cheap. I just didn't get a good impression of the school. But that is just me.....

what happened to mark?

cusp of carabelli said:
he ran off to texas right after we got there! didn't want to deal with our questions of false promises i guess... :(

Cusp,
Is it really that bad at Temple? Do you really have that much trouble finding patients to meet your requirements?

I was actually impressed with the interview process at Temple. Maybe they were trying to hide something about their school, but it sure was nice to see an adcom put some effort and pride into their interview process. Maybe it's just me? *shrugs*