Temple vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schnitzels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get some people's perspective. Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

a bad area in Philly or living in an awesome city... thats an easy choice

I haven't been at Temple but I did interview at BU. Boston is expensive, the area around the medical campus is especially $$$$$. The school is relatively young being founded around 1972 so it may still have some vestiges of going through its growing pains. The facilities were nice but the buildings were kinda of old and you could lose your way initially.

Members don't see this ad :)
a bad area in Philly or living in an awesome city... thats an easy choice

I know Temple is in a ghetto, and if I were only considering a city i.e. Boston vs. Philly, then yes, it is an easy choice. However, I'm most interested in the quality of the program itself.

Temple sees more patients than any other clinic and ultimately I need a very strong clinical experience. Plus the students at Temple seemed happier than those at BU when I visited. But I don't have a good feel for either of their academic programs. Also, does one have a stronger reputation than the other?

Thanks for your opinions!

BU has a stronger academic reputation, but Temple does many things right. It's too close a call, and you might as well draw straws.

I think when I was at Temple and asked "how are the didactics" to a student, he laughed and said, "kid... people come here for the clinical training"

Which is fine if you want to be a tooth mechanic. My opinion of Temple was they show you how to do a procedure with very little background on why that procedure should be done. I actually didn't like Temple at all for a lot of reasons, but this was the biggest.

I will admit though, the waiting room was PACKED with patients -- standing room only.

I think when I was at Temple and asked "how are the didactics" to a student, he laughed and said, "kid... people come here for the clinical training"

Which is fine if you want to be a tooth mechanic. My opinion of Temple was they show you how to do a procedure with very little background on why that procedure should be done. I actually didn't like Temple at all for a lot of reasons, but this was the biggest.

I will admit though, the waiting room was PACKED with patients -- standing room only.

If you leave Temple as a "tooth mechanic" then you are coasting through school. Temple gives you more than enough information to be a doctor. As with any dental school, it all comes down to whether or not you decide, as a student, to learn the material and put it to use. Not only do you have the opportunity to learn the "didactic" side of school, but you will come out of Temple a better clinician than 99% of the other schools.

Thank you for your varied opinions. It gives me a lot to think about. Anyone else?

well since i only applied to boston and still havnt heard anything cuz my scores arent that great I am going to ask you to leave boston to the poor like me...:(.....

just kidding ,, I personally think that you should try to stay in as little debt as possible,, so if the price difference is significant ( like maybe 30k-40k over the 4years.. i dont know what it is) then you should put that very well into consideration. however it seems like boston has some APEX program that they are boasting,, now that may be worth staying at boston for , also things like specialization and place you want to work come into play,,,

congrats :)