Temple vs Geisel (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravenclaw888

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Temple
Pros
  • Philly is a city with lots to do. I find joy in exploring new places to go out to eat and go out. I know I won’t have a lot of free time but it’s nice to know I have the option.
  • Opportunity to possibly network and do research at Temple, Jefferson, or Penn.
  • Apartments styles seem more my vibe as in more modern like the one I currently live in (I'm aware this is a shallow pro).
  • Very generous financial aid. I haven’t gotten the package from Geisel but Temple is covering 60% of my tuition. Overall my parents are being very supportive so this isn’t as big of a concern as other factors.

Cons
  • Less research opportunities.
  • Reputation is not as good as Dartmouth’s and with Step 1 being P/F this concerns me if I wanna pursue a competitive specialty.
  • Public school and larger class size (200). I went to a public school for college and sometimes struggled to find resources and connect with my professors in a class of 200 people.

Dartmouth
Pros
  • I was very involved in research in college and want to continue to do so.
  • Prestige (Im interested in a competitive specialty). I have 2 years of experience as a dermatology medical assistant and I’m sure it’s one of the specialties I am interested in. I have also shadowed ophthalmologists and I’m also interested but it’s also competitive.
  • Current students seem to come from all backgrounds which I find very exciting. I’m an international student and they have a large group of other international people so I look forward to having that support.
  • Smaller class size: 92. I will be able to have a closer relationship with professors.

Cons
  • Long winters. I have only ever lived in warm weather. I currently live in LA. I have seen snow during vacation but never lived in it. I am terrified of seasonal depression. This is the biggest Con for me but I understand it's only 4 years.
  • Rural area. I come from a big city and have lived in LA for 6 years now and love living here. At the end of the day, it’s the people that make up good experiences but I’m concerned there won’t be much to do but it's med school we'll be busy.

Summary: I know myself and I know I might regret not going to Dartmouth but I was very excited to live in Philadelphia and I'm scared of not getting used to the cold and rural area

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That sounds like too big of a shock going to Hanover for somebody used to LA.

Dartmouth’s med school does not carry the same status as the undergrad. It is a good school, but not worth being in a completely different environment while paying more.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Aside from the rural setting and cold winters (Philly is not warm either), it seems that Dartmouth wins academically. I interviewed there, but was not fortunate enough to get an acceptance. It would be my top pick for the reasons you stated. I am also an LA native so I get your point about the city vibe. I went to USC and I think I would prefer the more personal feel you would get from a smaller class size, more hands on experience etc.... Hope they provide you with an equivalent financial package : ) You will do great wherever you go !!! Best of luck !!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i think they are both great at different things. Dartmouth from what I have heard is good rural medicine practice because it is more remote while Temple gets some of the most interesting pathologies due to them being in Philly. I also believe temple does a great job with community outreach and student clinics, etc… that provides that hands on experience working with real patients. Whatever you decide you can’t go wrong!

• Care
That sounds like too big of a shock going to Hanover for somebody used to LA.

Dartmouth’s med school does not carry the same status as the undergrad. It is a good school, but not worth being in a completely different environment while paying more.
Thank you! That’s fair I will definitely take that into consideration once I get the financial package

At this point, I think the COA will likely determine where you will attend!

Aside from the rural setting and cold winters (Philly is not warm either), it seems that Dartmouth wins academically. I interviewed there, but was not fortunate enough to get an acceptance. It would be my top pick for the reasons you stated. I am also an LA native so I get your point about the city vibe. I went to USC and I think I would prefer the more personal feel you would get from a smaller class size, more hands on experience etc.... Hope they provide you with an equivalent financial package : ) You will do great wherever you go !!! Best of luck !!
Thanks! I hope you got an acceptance at a place you like :)

Thanks !!! Yep have 3 acceptances so far but none in California which was very disappointing !!! :) But oh well
California pre-meds are pretty successful getting into medical school as a whole. But a CA student getting into a CA medical school, now that's a tall order!

Last edited:
  • Care
Thanks !!! Yep have 3 acceptances so far but none in California which was very disappointing !!! :) But oh well
Same here! But like someone said it’s extremely competitive. We can always come back :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users