Tenet closing down MCP hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/7516795.htm

:eek:

anyone know how current and future drexel med students are going to be affected by this? this can't be good.......

Members don't see this ad.

tenet = evil.

I think Drexel still has Hahnemann University Hospital and several others..

that's 2 blocks up the street from me :( I don't know that it will hurt the medical students as far as education but it certainly isn't going to do anything to improve the school's reputation...

Members don't see this ad :)
we do have several other sites including Hahnemann and some in NJ and other parts of PA.

wow, what a debacle...what's wrong with the hospital/school? they've been in the news for like the last 10 years nonstop, either changing names, laying people off, or threatening to close. To this day, I still don't know what to call the place.

It's been a busy week at Drexel for us as we were in classes as the news broke. One exam left so I can't really spend time on the details but the hospital closing was entirely a business decision of Tenet's and has nothing to do with the drexel college of medicine administration. In fact, the admin has been great about negotiating new clinical sites, renewing its focus on Hahnemann hospital (downtown), and generally ensuring minimal headache for the students.

As a 2nd year Drexel student who applied when it was still MCP Hahnemann I have been only impressed with the administration (college of medicine's and drexel's) response to what could be interpreted as a crisis.

For those who aren't aware of Drexel's relationship with Tenet, there is plentiful information online but in brief, we have opportunities at hospitals all across Pennsylvania.

BUMP can any current students talk more about what is going on here. Ther eis a thread in preallo talking about the implications of MCP being taken over by an independent doctor group and temple....how does this affect the incoming class....one article even mentioned drexel reducing class size..etc

help..i am beginning to get very concerned

Let's hear it for State subsidized municipal hospitals.

bullhorn said:
BUMP can any current students talk more about what is going on here. Ther eis a thread in preallo talking about the implications of MCP being taken over by an independent doctor group and temple....how does this affect the incoming class....one article even mentioned drexel reducing class size..etc

help..i am beginning to get very concerned

I'm getting concerned as well, because not only are they talking about possibly reducing class size, but also reducing faculty (both would be a byproduct of losing resident slots and accompanying funding), AND possibly moving out of the Queen Lane campus because it would be impractical if there's no clinical involvement by Drexel at MCP. Anyone that's heard anything about this, please share!

Here is a message from the dean:

Dear Drexel University College of Medicine Student,

Over the weekend, we learned that Governor Rendell and Senator Specter would hold a press conference on Monday to announce their support for an effort by the Save MCP Physicians Group to run the hospital as a not-for-profit corporation.

At the press conference, the Governor and Senator announced their support of the physician's group proposal to acquire MCP Hospital, and continue to operate it as a full-service acute care facility. The physicians group have also entered into negotiations with Temple University Health System to be their "educational partner."

Governor Rendell and Senator Specter noted during the press conference that they were aware of issues relating to students and residents, and promised to work with DUCOM. We have been in contact with federal and state officials, as well as the LCME, and anticipate in-depth discussions about the impact of this proposal. Also, both the Governor and Senator emphasized that the proposal is not a completed transaction and still requires extensive negotiations with the current owner, Tenet Healthcare.

Should MCP Hospital be sold to others, we will work diligently to insure the educational welfare of our students and residents. This announcement does not change our commitment to providing the best educational environment for all of you. For M.D. students in particular, we are focused on insuring a seamless experience in both the clinical and pre-clinical phases of your education.

Dr. Barbara Schindler, Vice Dean of Educational Affairs, and her staff of the Office of Educational Affairs (OEA) have worked to find replacement educational sites, develop new hospital affiliate relationships, and insure the continuity of education for each of you since the nurses strike in November 2003.

I know there is uncertainty surrounding the latest events at MCP Hospital. I would again ask you to utilize the OEA Office, Deans and your faculty advisers for accurate and current information. As additional information becomes available, we will share it with you. Thank you.

With warm regards,
Stephen K. Klasko, M.D., M.B.A.
Dean

Members don't see this ad :)
With that being said, the class size has already been reduced from 250 (class of 2007) to 225 for the class of 2008.

There is talk about alienation of the QL building (in an ARTICLE IN THE INQUIRER, not around Drexel), which makes sense since we are right near MCP, and what's tethering us there. However, this isn't talk of the faculty and admistrators of Drexel (at least to the students). Don't jump that gun yet.

This is the referenced article:
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/8690488.htm

This article is the first I've heard about reducing faculty.

Are you serious that they reduced the class size? I'm really lucky that I got accepted then.

DW said:
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/7516795.htm

:eek:

anyone know how current and future drexel med students are going to be affected by this? this can't be good.......

Although I feel sorry for the poor residents, I wouldn't worry too much about this affecting the students. Last time I checked, MCP was one of at least 20 or so places where we do our rotations. You'll still get a great education and have a great time in doing so.

The latest dean's message to the students affirmed that Drexel is completing an affilitation agreement with Abington Hospital. So while we are losing MCP, we are gaining both St. Peter's and Abington as main clinical education sites.

Just wanted to pass along...

Abington's one of ours as well (I plan on being there quite a bit actually). Is it common for one hospital to contain students from more than one school?

ussdfiant said:
Abington's one of ours as well (I plan on being there quite a bit actually). Is it common for one hospital to contain students from more than one school?

To Be honest...usually not. But since this isn't to start until 2005. Perhaps while Drexel is gaining Abington...Temple is gaining MCP since they were named to be th eprobable new educational partner should it remain open. Who knows.

Philly has way too many medical schools. Its got the population to support maybe 3 maximum, yet there are 5 freaking schools there.

The effects of this saturation are now being felt.

MacGyver said:
Philly has way too many medical schools. Its got the population to support maybe 3 maximum, yet there are 5 freaking schools there.

The effects of this saturation are now being felt.

I think PCOM students also rotate through Abington Memorial.

Anyway, the main problem isn't too many medical schools, it's too few hospitals (yes, I know they are interrelated but allow me to try to explain)

Due to medicare and medicaid reimbursement, the high number of the uninsured, the malpractice insurance crisis, poor insurance reimbursements, etc. hospitals have been losing money and some are forced to close (MCP is a good example, UPenn Health System was a big money loser until recently). Closing down MCP was a major concern because it would have shifted patients towards other local hospitals (which are already operating at near max capacity).

Philly's 5 medical schools have been around for a long time (I dare say at least 100 years) and have managed quite well ... as the population grows and shrinks (remember, suburbia of Philly must be counted too since they also seek medical care of Philly's regional medical centers). It is the recent closings of area hospitals within a short time period that has placed schools in a difficult position of finding rotation sites.

What this area needs is not fewer medical schools, but more hospitals. The population is able to support 5 medical schools - however, there is a shortage of hospitals because the current ones can't support the population

Exactly group theory. One reason MCP was losing money because the population it served was not the rich affluent population whose insurance really supported the hospital like in suburbia. However, it's a population that needs the hospital (at least the critcal care) for emergencies, so hopefully they find a solution that works.

There's not a shortage of hospitals. There are PLENTY of hospitals in the Philadelphia area (don't forget all the non-teaching/non-academic hospitals). The problem is that Philadelphia, like many urban areas, is composed of suburbia and then the city, which has TONS of indigents and uninsured people. Treating the latter leads to money loss like nobody's business. In addition, Philadelphia is one of the highest areas of litigation in the country (also because of the indigents), which drives physicians out after graduation. The problem is not lack of hospitals -- it's the ******* patients.