Terminal masters in psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spirit guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I am planning to get a terminal masters degree in psych at Antioch University Seattle.

There are two concentrations within the MA:
LMFT
http://www.antiochsea.edu/academics/psychology/cft-overview.html
LMHC
http://www.antiochsea.edu/academics/psychology/mhc-overview.html

I want to eventually work in an eating disorder clinic as a therapist.
I want to intern at an eating disorder clinic as a grad student.
I am not looking for private practice and/or academia work, so a PHD or PSY.D is not needed.

My questions are:
Are there any type of certificates concerning the eating disorder field?
I want to work mainly with individuals, so will the LMFT track prepare me for this or mainly families?
And while I'm doing my postmaster hours, is hard to find jobs with just an MA?

Also, why does there seem to be controversy over MA and PSY.D/PHD grads?
Like which one is more "better"?

If anyone has any added advice or experience with ed's please input your opinion.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, why does there seem to be controversy over MA and PSY.D/PHD grads?
Like which one is more "better"?

If anyone has any added advice or experience with ed's please input your opinion.
Thank you.

because many people will argue that:
1.) Doctoral training provides a higher level knowledge base regarding the conceptualization, diagnosis, and treatment of mental illness. Docotoral level training teaches one to think of themself as a scientist as well as therapist, thereby increasing the likelyhood that they will provide (and stay abridged of) the most empirically validated treatments/approaches.

2.) Mid-level practitioners are encroaching on the market of doctoral level providers and driving down salaries/reimbursement rates because you guys will provide the same services for less money.

3.) Masters level people use the gramatically incorrect term "more better"....;)

Last edited:
If you plan on working with eating disorders, you will need to first establish yourself as a generalist, and then seek mentorship and supervision working with EDs. It is one of the most complex Dx's to treat because of the high co-morbidity rates. Best of luck.