Terminal master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michiganxoxo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a doctoral program and we get a terminal master's along the way in clinical psychology. I was wondering if there is any way to get licensed with this? In my state they say you can't, but there must be some way... If not, are there states you can get licensed with a terminal master's? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's a terminal master's? Typically a terminal master's is like a master's in social work or marriage and family therapy because those are the lowest needed degrees to practice in those fields (their PhDs are academic). In clinical psychology, the terminal degree is the PhD/PsyD as you cannot be a psychologist with anything less. I have always heard of the masters given in en route as being nonterminal and not license eligible as it's usually a master's of psychological science or something else that is research based and would not have the needed clinical courses/hours components for licensure. If it is in fact, a terminal master's you ought to be license eligible by definition.

Look into the LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor). Since states have slightly different terminology. You have to meet certain requirements in your state to qualify. Also there's a national exam (NCE). I was able to do it with my masters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology you get along the way in a PhD program

Look into the LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor). Since states have slightly different terminology. You have to meet certain requirements in your state to qualify. Also there's a national exam (NCE). I was able to do it with my masters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What kind of Masters did you have?

What kind of Masters did you have?

It is a separate terminal masters form my doctorate program. It's just in psychology, not social work or counseling. However my program is CACREP-Equivelent. So I just needed an agency to verify my courses and then I was good for licensure.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know of any states I could get my license with such a degree? It is not CACREP. Of course, I mean a license after the two years of supervision or whatever is required.

Most states that I have been in have a list of coursework that is required for a master's degree to satisfy the requirements for applying for licensure as well as the supervised experience requirements. This information is all available online at the appropriate licensing boards website for each state.