Terrible Freshman Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Runner500

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided on this school last minute so I had orientation late. All the good classes are taken. Here's what I'm stuck with.

Pre Calc

Spanish 1 (apparently we have to take foreign language)

Sociology - understanding society

CHE - intro to health education

I couldn't take Bio or Chemistry, both full. I could 't take an english class either.

I'm beyond angry. I'm just wondering does it even matter. Is this putting me off track in anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

You have plenty of time to take prereqs, wouldn't worry about it. Make sure to register early for next semester

You could take Chen over the summer, then take orgo and bio sophomore year together, and finally physics and biochem junior year. Bada bing bada boom.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could take Chen over the summer, then take orgo and bio sophomore year together, and finally physics and biochem junior year. Bada bing bada boom.
Great tan Marcus

Reactions: 1 users
You have to take those classes sooner or later. I don't see what the big deal is.

It won't make a difference in the long run. My first semester frosh year looked very similar, almost identical to yours, and I still graduated on time. I actually appreciated having a lighter first semester (even though it wasn't by choice) because it gave me time to adjust and I was able to start out with strong grades. Think about dedicating one summer to summer classes if you're still worried.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can get on the waiting list for chemistry and attend the classes people will often drop, if not, your schedule is fine. What is your intended major.

I see my worst enemy there; a foreign language.

Keep an eye on the registration system during the first week of school. Spots often open up. You could also email the professor to see if they could bump you into the class.

I decided on this school last minute so I had orientation late. All the good classes are taken. Here's what I'm stuck with.

Pre Calc

I couldn't take Bio or Chemistry, both full. I could 't take an english class either.

I'm beyond angry. I'm just wondering does it even matter. Is this putting me off track in anyway?

Try checking the course registrar again! people drop at times!

Keep an eye on the registration system during the first week of school. Spots often open up. You could also email the professor to see if they could bump you into the class.

Yes. My university has an "override" request form you can fill out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Actually, they have an option for them(I just checked my applications). I never sent any in.
Doubt these applications are for med school.
Your immaturity for a "college student" is concerning.

? ARe you some self appointed moderator?
No just concerned looking at your posts about how you feel entitled to give advice to pre-med students on various issues without even starting college. Really goes to show that everyone should take sdn advice from randoms with a grain of salt.

Pre Calc

Just take a full class load. 15-18 credits. Freshman get ****ty classes every year. Also, adcoms generally frown upon taking pre-reqs in the summer, so try to avoid that. There are a few threads about it if you search on here.

My pre-reqs essentially looked like this:
Freshman: no premed courses
Sophomore: Gen chem and general bio
Junior: Physics and organic
Senior: Biochem and genetics

Also, looks like you only have 4 classes, which in my school would be around 12-13 credits. You should take English comp, effective speaking, or any other general education class. Or another class in your major. Or just an interesting class. The point is, you want a full class load, whatever that is at your school.

Just take a full class load. 15-18 credits. Freshman get ****ty classes every year. Also, adcoms generally frown upon taking pre-reqs in the summer, so try to avoid that. There are a few threads about it if you search on here.

My pre-reqs essentially looked like this:
Freshman: no premed courses
Sophomore: Gen chem and general bio
Junior: Physics and organic
Senior: Biochem and genetics

Also, looks like you only have 4 classes, which in my school would be around 12-13 credits. You should take English comp, effective speaking, or any other general education class. Or another class in your major. Or just an interesting class. The point is, you want a full class load, whatever that is at your school.

Ideally OP would want to take at least the first semester of Biochem before they take the MCAT. Although I do wish I hadn't taken any premed courses in my Freshman year. Doubling up on Chem + Physics with Calc on the side was a very, very rude awakening from high school.

OP, definitely be on the lookout during the first two weeks or so on whatever website your school uses to register classes. People drop pre-med science pre-reqs in droves; I'd be willing to bet that if you get on the waitlist now, or if you keep a sharp eye for the classes you need during the first two-week crunch, you'll be able to get in.

If not, take Chem 1 during the spring semester and take Chem 2 over summer. I think I recall LizzyM saying that adcom's don't really look down at all on summer classes as long as you aren't doing something like taking your pre-reqs at a community college to avoid the 'tough' classes.

Ideally OP would want to take at least the first semester of Biochem before they take the MCAT. Although I do wish I hadn't taken any premed courses in my Freshman year. Doubling up on Chem + Physics with Calc on the side was a very, very rude awakening from high school.

OP, definitely be on the lookout during the first two weeks or so on whatever website your school uses to register classes. People drop pre-med science pre-reqs in droves; I'd be willing to bet that if you get on the waitlist now, or if you keep a sharp eye for the classes you need during the first two-week crunch, you'll be able to get in.

If not, take Chem 1 during the spring semester and take Chem 2 over summer. I think I recall LizzyM saying that adcom's don't really look down at all on summer classes as long as you aren't doing something like taking your pre-reqs at a community college to avoid the 'tough' classes.

I was just showing OP that I didn't take anything freshman year. I did take biochem before the MCAT, which yes, OP should definitely do! I have a double major, so I'm here for 5 years, which is why I took biochem my 4th year.

And I agree with the trying to get in if you can part. You might be able to shoot the professors an email and ask them to sign you in. Can't hurt. Most schools have a ~2 week add/droop time, so keep your eyes open.

And what I gathered from the summer course threads was that summer classes tend to be easier, and it can appear like the student is taking classes in the summer just to lighten their class load during the year. Adcoms want you to take full class loads so that they know you can handle med school. If you take a full class load and the pre-req is at a 4-year school, it certainly won't make or break your app.

I was just showing OP that I didn't take anything freshman year. I did take biochem before the MCAT, which yes, OP should definitely do! I have a double major, so I'm here for 5 years, which is why I took biochem my 4th year.

And I agree with the trying to get in if you can part. You might be able to shoot the professors an email and ask them to sign you in. Can't hurt. Most schools have a ~2 week add/droop time, so keep your eyes open.

And what I gathered from the summer course threads was that summer classes tend to be easier, and it can appear like the student is taking classes in the summer just to lighten their class load during the year. Adcoms want you to take full class loads so that they know you can handle med school. If you take a full class load and the pre-req is at a 4-year school, it certainly won't make or break your app.

I can definitely see why you'd space your pre-reqs out like that if you were staying an additional year. It'd be the most optimal schedule if OP is going for a double major as well.

And yeah, I agree that your semesters should show rigor and that you should take as many classes as you can before it starts affecting your GPA/EC's/MCAT. Summer classes, IMO, are actually harder than the regular semester courses. The content is more sparse, but it's also more dense in proportion to the time you have to learn it, and if it's a pre-req, it's generally filled somewhat with people who have already taken the course. I would be wary of taking the majority of my pre-reqs over the summer, but I think being able to take orgo + biochem before OP takes the MCAT justifies having to take Gen Chem 2 over the summer.

I can definitely see why you'd space your pre-reqs out like that if you were staying an additional year. It'd be the most optimal schedule if OP is going for a double major as well.

And yeah, I agree that your semesters should show rigor and that you should take as many classes as you can before it starts affecting your GPA/EC's/MCAT. Summer classes, IMO, are actually harder than the regular semester courses. The content is more sparse, but it's also more dense in proportion to the time you have to learn it, and if it's a pre-req, it's generally filled somewhat with people who have already taken the course. I would be wary of taking the majority of my pre-reqs over the summer, but I think being able to take orgo + biochem before OP takes the MCAT justifies having to take Gen Chem 2 over the summer.
I agree. Biochem was definitely important in my mcat success.
And yeah, it depends on the professor and such. But the important thing is what the adcoms think about the difficulty, not us, haha.

You'll be okay. Try to over-tally if possible. And get used to things not going "according to plan".

If you don't take prereqs your freshman year that may cause you to take a mandatory gap year

No just concerned looking at your posts about how you feel entitled to give advice to pre-med students on various issues without even starting college. Really goes to show that everyone should take sdn advice from randoms with a grain of salt.

I have far more college experience than you will ever endure in the boundless infinity of time.

Pre Calc

This isn't a crisis, but I think your anger is justified. I disagree with the other posters. Fitting in cool upper-level bios or random core classes for your school is different than fitting in pre-reqs that are on the mcat. You'll be on track to graduate but these kind of things can turn into problems as far as mcatting and when to apply goes. I would take bio I and Chem I next semester and take the second sequence of both in the summer. Otherwise you'll be pushing them forward an entire year which could mean tougher semester schedules, a delayed MCAT and by extension a delayed application.

I think it's beneficial to take all your pre-reqs needed for the MCAT before your junior year to avoid taking a gap year, but it's not the end of the world, your schedule looks fine.

Like someone else mentioned, get yourself on the wait list for either gen chem or bio and their respective labs. Attend lectures because a lot of students drop those classes within the first week. Another thing that has helped me in terms of priority registration is to declare a minor, even if you don't intend on finishing it. I'm a non-science major, so declaring a biology minor has given me priority registration for bio and chem classes and I've never been wait listed.

I have far more college experience than you will ever endure in the boundless infinity of time.
Lol--says the one that has yet to step foot on campus. Well, good luck kid.

Lol--says the one that has yet to step foot on campus. Well, good luck kid.
seriously, what is the deal with this knob. going through his post history in cringe inducing, but im sure others say the same thing about me lol

Ok so tell me if this is right.

1. Get on wait list and attempt to get in chemistry or bio.

2. If failed take chemistry and bio second semester.

3. And/or take summer science classes.

4. Take biochem before MCAT.

is this about right?

Ok so tell me if this is right.

1. Get on wait list and attempt to get in chemistry or bio.

2. If failed take chemistry and bio second semester.

3. And/or take summer science classes.

4. Take biochem before MCAT.

is this about right?
Yes. You're going to want to take all pre-reqs (bio, chem, orgo, biochem, and physics) before the MCAT. Taking A&P before the MCAT was also helpful for me, but it isn't a pre-req.