Test 9/1/12: How am I doing? Advice?

Started by kalypso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kalypso

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Goal: 35+, not in great shape 🙁

I took 3 as a diagnostic without any studying, reviewed for a few weeks, then took a practice test once a week for the past 5 weeks.

AAMC:
3: 10/12/10 (32)
4: 10/11/11 (32)
5: 10/12/11 (33)
7: 12/11/13 (36)
8: 13/13/11 (37)
9: 12/11/12 (35)
10: 10/11/11 (32)

I have no idea what to expect. I almost ran out of time and practically gave up halfway through #8 but ended up getting my best score so far. Conversely, I just took 10 and had extra time on all sections but ended up regressing to my diagnostic....I'm actually a little worried by that. Seems almost like my scores were a slow climb up and a quick fall back down 🙁

I haven't done anything for verbal yet except a few EK 101 passages, where I get ~9's, worse than any of my practice tests.

Please help! Even if its just calming words I'm starting to freak out.
 
Last edited:
you started strong without studying, so kudos to you. that shows your science/reading comprehension/test-taking abilities are above average.

why did you "give up" on #8? don't ever do that. treat each FL like it's the real thing. be strong!!!

for my standards, you're doing exceptionally well. but of course, your goal is 35+, so to you, it seems like the end of this world. look, you were able to score a 35 and 37 (gj btw). however, you score 32s consistently ... so, go over your FLs and figure out what the differences attribute to. work on your perceived weaknesses. you can do it. i beereeeeeve in you, kyrrooo.
 
I don't know if I'm just burned out or not getting the material because reviewing the tests, I keep overcomplicating and overthinking the questions because I think the test is trying to trick me. When I have extra time and go back over questions I was unsure I feel like more often than not I change from the correct answer to the wrong one.

I had a hard time focusing on #8 but had no trouble focusing on #10 >.<

Thanks for the words of encouragement karafox 🙂
 
Goal: 35+, not in great shape 🙁

I took 3 as a diagnostic without any studying, reviewed for a few weeks, then took a practice test once a week for the past 5 weeks.

AAMC:
3: 10/12/10 (32)
4: 10/11/11 (32)
5: 10/12/11 (33)
7: 12/11/13 (36)
8: 13/13/11 (37)
9: 12/11/12 (35)
10: 10/11/11 (32)

I have no idea what to expect. I almost ran out of time and practically gave up halfway through #8 but ended up getting my best score so far. Conversely, I just took 10 and had extra time on all sections but ended up regressing to my diagnostic....I'm actually a little worried by that. Seems almost like my scores were a slow climb up and a quick fall back down 🙁

I haven't done anything for verbal yet except a few EK 101 passages, where I get ~9's, worse than any of my practice tests.

Please help! Even if its just calming words I'm starting to freak out.

Your scores are awesome man!! Def. don't let that last test psych you out, that's the worst thing you can do for yourself. Just think about it like this, at least that test was on a PRACTICE FL, and now that you've reviewed it, you won't miss those questions on the real one! Keep up the good work 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Goal: 35+, not in great shape 🙁

I took 3 as a diagnostic without any studying, reviewed for a few weeks, then took a practice test once a week for the past 5 weeks.

AAMC:
3: 10/12/10 (32)
4: 10/11/11 (32)
5: 10/12/11 (33)
7: 12/11/13 (36)
8: 13/13/11 (37)
9: 12/11/12 (35)
10: 10/11/11 (32)

I have no idea what to expect. I almost ran out of time and practically gave up halfway through #8 but ended up getting my best score so far. Conversely, I just took 10 and had extra time on all sections but ended up regressing to my diagnostic....I'm actually a little worried by that. Seems almost like my scores were a slow climb up and a quick fall back down 🙁

I haven't done anything for verbal yet except a few EK 101 passages, where I get ~9's, worse than any of my practice tests.

Please help! Even if its just calming words I'm starting to freak out.

I thought AAMC 10 was pretty hard, especially the verbal. It also had a harsh scale for the sciences so don't be too worried.
 
Thanks guys. This is my first time posting in SDN and its really nice to know people are so supportive.

Any advice for this final week? I've still got one AAMC FL (#11) to take, probably on wednesday or tuesday, and will be doing more EK 101 verbal sections with some added science review so everything stays fresh.
 
Your verbal score seems both superb and consistent. Your science scores seem really good overall, but I think that you might be seeing fluctuations in your scores because of the variability of the tests. Some tests may highlight your weaknesses while others may highlight your strengths. During this last week, try to assess what topics you are having difficulty grasping and work on those.

Good luck! :luck: