Test Anxiety Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaveTheRhinos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have severe test anxiety. I was wondering if someone that had taken the test would mind talking to me about it. PM if you wouldn't mind skyping me. Please and Thank you.

Rhino

Members don't see this ad.

My brother has the same problem. He actually went to the doc and got a medication called atenollol. I think its normally used for blood pressure but it also calms you down. He said it really helped.

Try it out.

Sorry to hear you get that anxious :(

I know when I took the test, walking in I felt like my life and will to go on literally depended on this. Haha, a little dramatic, but still feeling super nervous!

I think the thing that helped me the most was really relaxing before the exam. Mine was around 1:30 or so in the afternoon and so I just went over any teeny last thing bothering me and then after that from like 9am on nothing. I got myself to think, hey... what I know is what I know at this point so just try to relax, have a positive attitude about it, and get it done! I took advantage of any breaks during the exam... like the first 15 min to just get everything adjusted in my seat and area how I wanted it and to take some deep breaths to focus in on what I was about to conquer. Any other breaks, take time to use the restroom, eat a little snack, breathe.

Hope it gets better for you, good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Test anxiety means you feel you aren't ready for the test.

Prepare yourself by learning everything you need to and your anxiety will decrease many fold.

What helped me was rehearsing the DAT many times. I got hold of as many old exams as I could and just practiced. I just tried to make the DAT as routine as possible, so that on test day it was something really familiar with me. I even rehearsed the break by eating the same snack each time I took a practice test.

Not really sure that will help you, but knowing exactly how to organize my work space in front of the computer, how to pace myself through the questions, how to deal with marks/skips, and so forth really reduced my anxiety.

good luck man!

Not necessarily. The breadth of information on the DAT is so vast that I would have never felt ready for it.

You are obviously an exception to this. You are clearly a perfectionist (not a knock, this is a good quality for some people). Considering your perfect and near perfect stats.

When my test day was coming up I felt very anxious, to the point I couldn't think clearly. This was because I knew I wasn't ready and as a result would do badly. I postponed it and studied more. Come test day I was still nervous but it was much more manageable and I used it as a nice boost of energy for the 5 hour test.

On second thought, your statement only makes sense if you are only talking about the bio section. I never felt I was ready for it because I wanted a 30, even though I was confident enough to know I would get at least in the low 20s.

You are obviously an exception to this. You are clearly a perfectionist (not a knock, this is a good quality for some people). Considering your perfect and near perfect stats.

When my test day was coming up I felt very anxious, to the point I couldn't think clearly. This was because I knew I wasn't ready and as a result would do badly. I postponed it and studied more. Come test day I was still nervous but it was much more manageable and I used it as a nice boost of energy for the 5 hour test.

On second thought, your statement only makes sense if you are only talking about the bio section. I never felt I was ready for it because I wanted a 30, even though I was confident enough to know I would get at least in the low 20s.

I feel "ready" for school tests when I know everything in my notes/homework/assigned problems and am confident that I can store in the 95-100 range. I don't think I could ever have been there for the DAT!

When you take the test, just accept the fact that you have given it your all and that there is nothing else that you could have done differently (hopefully) and just relax.