Dec 30, 2011
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
How do you handle it (if you've dealt with it)? I've always struggled, but I naturally pick up on stuff usually so I can pull decent grades. But I'm tired of "decent" I put in significant amount if time, I help others in class only to see them obtain better grades on exams. It's as if I sit down and my whole brain just...stops. In taking orgo 1/lab right now. Killing lab and the hw, but exams... No.

I do all the practice problems and go online and I find more to do (or the supplemental book). But as soon as I sit down... Gone. I do have ADD (dx and rx). But that's not a limitation. My limitation is in my own head so... Suggestions?

luke587

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe you have an anxiety issue in general? Talk to an advisor or someone in student health and get it checked out. Lots of people get test anxiety, my biggest advice is to not treat the exam as life or death. I used to do that and would panic the minute i didn't know one single question, its horrible i know especially when you know the material. Just relax and try to tune out what others around you are doing

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
How do you handle it (if you've dealt with it)? I've always struggled, but I naturally pick up on stuff usually so I can pull decent grades. But I'm tired of "decent" I put in significant amount if time, I help others in class only to see them obtain better grades on exams. It's as if I sit down and my whole brain just...stops. In taking orgo 1/lab right now. Killing lab and the hw, but exams... No.

I do all the practice problems and go online and I find more to do (or the supplemental book). But as soon as I sit down... Gone. I do have ADD (dx and rx). But that's not a limitation. My limitation is in my own head so... Suggestions?
Be confident that you studied and prepared well and will be ready for anything that pops up on the test.

Jun 19, 2011
kernel
Status
Medical Student
Confidence is definitely the key player. Other than that, on tests that I get really nervous for, I plan on drawing something out as soon as I get to the test. For example: Med Biochem, I drew out pathways. This way, I had a few minutes to calm down and jot some material down that I knew would help answer questions, and then I was more relaxed when I began answering questions.

Dec 20, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
confidence is key......usually when everyone is sitting around going through their notes one last time, I just sit there and breath calmly and say something like IM GUNNA DESTROY THIS BITCH

OP
H
Dec 30, 2011
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
confidence is key......usually when everyone is sitting around going through their notes one last time, I just sit there and breath calmly and say something like IM GUNNA DESTROY THIS BITCH
Haahaa Snort. Sorry that made me smile after today's exam.

I don't have generalize anxiety, actually I'm pretty chill every other time. Its just exams/test. And I know its not life or death, but I'm a nontrad so I'm somewhat putting all my eggs in this basket as a last hurrah. I guess I'm not failing by any means. But I can do so much better than the B- that shows up when I check grades. I have two exams and a final left, and two homework assignments. Its time to kick some ass....but how?

Jul 29, 2011
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
i usually imagine the exam as a sort of game. it makes it less intensive and more fun for me (if i know what I'm doing). I honestly find worrying to be to depressing/annoying to function properly.

Jan 4, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I had to deal with serious test anxiety--but that was the time when I wasn't connected with the God. I wasn't meditating and I wasn't praying.

Once I started praying and really understanding the verse "I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me" and realizing that Christ is indeed in me, my stress/anxiety instantly faded. Now this concept of understanding the divine in you is not isolated to Christianity. It's the same principle you hear in those new age yoga classes or other major religions-Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.

The message is to learn to live beyond your emotions and your feelings--and one of the ways to do this is to meditate on your inner power with or without religion.

Amba

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2011
CWE
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Honestly? Being well prepared did the trick for me.

OP
H
Dec 30, 2011
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly? Being well prepared did the trick for me.
Yes honestly, if I weren't honest I wouldn't have posted the question for help...

My amount of preparation and knowledge is never demonstrated on exams, never has been ( I'd help my ex husband in high school calc, he'd get As on exams while I got Bs). This is also my concern with the MCAT, as well as it was with the ACT, SAT, and GRE...

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes honestly, if I weren't honest I wouldn't have posted the question for help...

My amount of preparation and knowledge is never demonstrated on exams, never has been ( I'd help my ex husband in high school calc, he'd get As on exams while I got Bs). This is also my concern with the MCAT, as well as it was with the ACT, SAT, and GRE...
I would talk to the same doctor who is treating your ADD about it. It could be as simple as needing to take an anti-anxiety pill right before each exam. At the very least, you should address it with him or her to see what they think.

OP
H
Dec 30, 2011
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
I would talk to the same doctor who is treating your ADD about it. It could be as simple as needing to take an anti-anxiety pill right before each exam. At the very least, you should address it with him or her to see what they think.
Do many people take meds just in situations like this? Ill try to get in. I'm also going to start yoga soon. It's odd because I'm so chill in the rest of my life.
I was resistant enough on the Ritalin...

Amba

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2011
CWE
Status
Resident [Any Field]

As others said, talking to a doctor about anxiety or ADD might be a good option.

I was just sharing my experiences. I used to freak out before tests freshman year, but my study habits and prep sucked (not saying yours do). I learned how to prepare better and now I feel like the most chill person in the room before every test.

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do many people take meds just in situations like this? Ill try to get in. I'm also going to start yoga soon. It's odd because I'm so chill in the rest of my life.
I was resistant enough on the Ritalin...
LOL, I don't know, I don't take anything myself, but for something that drastic, when you completely lose everything you know for a test, maybe medication is an option. Something to discuss anyway.

Jun 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I use to have panic attacks all the time, difficulty concentrating and more symptome related to this. Anyhow, after trying lots of supplements to ease my pain, I come up trying L-Tyrosine. It worked, not only did it work, but it cured it! I feel great now. That was six months ago. I took some l-tyrosine for 2 months. It also helps a lot to concentrate. Here is the one I took: http://dailysupplementsreview.com/?reviews=san-top-fuel-launch-240-caps.

passerine

Nap Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I find that the earlier I start studying, the more confident I feel that I've mastered the material, even if my actual study time is the same. I like to start studying for a test about an hour a day two weeks ahead of time, so that by the week of the exam, I'm so bored with the material and know it so well that I can't possibly be terrified by it. I also have a few "lucky" articles of clothing... even though they don't actually make the difference on the test, they're comforting to have and make me feel more confident.

Also, when I took the MCAT, I just took a whole minute before I started the test to take deep breaths, stretch my body, and put my game face on.

Stumpyman

7+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
i usually imagine the exam as a sort of game. it makes it less intensive and more fun for me (if i know what I'm doing). I honestly find worrying to be to depressing/annoying to function properly.
Same. I treat it like a sport, or Game of Thrones.

Wow, I'm a nerd.