Testing Center Error. Do I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalstudent1738

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 22 AA and a 21 TS, but my testing computer shut off during the PAT and when it turned back on, I lost 6 minutes. So I only ended up scoring a 16 in that section.

The ADEA says my only options are to either keep those scores or I could invalidate these scores and retake the whole thing.

Have you heard of any similar scenarios? What would you do personally? Will schools be annoyed if I keep this score, inform them of this situation, and explain that I opted to keep this score?

Members don't see this ad.

DAT scores Advice
Similar scenario that also resulted in a low PAT section.

Since you have the material fresh in your head, I would maybe opt for a retake, but it's up to you. Also, since there's the option of retaking, I don't think schools will be lenient on your situation even if you let them know what happened (basically like, if you really do know the material, it shouldn't be hard for you to score the same/better than this first attempt). If you choose not to retake -> I'm sure there are people that have gotten in with scores similar to yours, just be wary and don't expect much/any leniency by the schools. Hope this makes sense, and good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 22 AA and a 21 TS, but my testing computer shut off during the PAT and when it turned back on, I lost 6 minutes. So I only ended up scoring a 16 in that section.

The ADEA says my only options are to either keep those scores or I could invalidate these scores and retake the whole thing.

Have you heard of any similar scenarios? What would you do personally? Will schools be annoyed if I keep this score, inform them of this situation, and explain that I opted to keep this score?

Unfortunately, computer malfunctions happen from time to time. I am truly sorry this happened to you. To retake or not is a decision only you can make. If you take it again you run the risk of scoring lower in the other sections. I do not have your individual scores but from your AA and TS I assume your other scores were all above 20. I would call the schools and ask. I have worked with a lot of students through the years who have gotten into dental school with a 16 in PAT.

If you want my personal opinion, I would not retake but it is up to you to call the schools and investigate your individual situation.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Last edited: