Testing Center on the day of the test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whawha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Has anyone taken DAT where you were given a regular pencil and just scratch papers instead of markers and board? I called up the testing center that I will be taking DAT (New York), she said I am just gonna be given a pencil and scratch papers....

I thought all testing centers provide markers and board...so I was gonna practice with it...

How earlier should I get to the testing site than my appointment time? Is 30 mins enough...?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken DAT where you were given a regular pencil and just scratch papers instead of markers and board? I called up the testing center that I will be taking DAT (New York), she said I am just gonna be given a pencil and scratch papers....

I thought all testing centers provide markers and board...so I was gonna practice with it...

How earlier should I get to the testing site than my appointment time? Is 30 mins enough...?

1. ADA policy: you will get a laminated sheets and markers. the person who took your call was probs wrong and ill informed.

2. I showed up 15 minutes early and I had to wait a half hour after my appointment time. They will have you read some info regarding what you can and cannot do, take your pic, get your finger prints, have you turn out your pockets, and give you a locker. then you will start the test after a 15 minute optional tutorial. make your hole punch grids and important formulas during that time. take a depth breath and start when you are comfortable with your cubicle. BTW, the provide oyu with soundproof headphones. They work great. When I took mine off, I noticed the person next to me was chewing gum like a horse but I couldnt hear him with the headphones.

Good luck

Thank you so much for your reply. It was exactly what I was wondering. Also regarding the marker and the board, is this similar at all to what I am gonna be given? I am wondering if I need to order it and practice with it beforehand. Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. ADA policy: you will get a laminated sheets and markers. the person who took your call was probs wrong and ill informed.

2. I showed up 15 minutes early and I had to wait a half hour after my appointment time. They will have you read some info regarding what you can and cannot do, take your pic, get your finger prints, have you turn out your pockets, and give you a locker. then you will start the test after a 15 minute optional tutorial. make your hole punch grids and important formulas during that time. take a depth breath and start when you are comfortable with your cubicle. BTW, the provide oyu with soundproof headphones. They work great. When I took mine off, I noticed the person next to me was chewing gum like a horse but I couldnt hear him with the headphones.

Good luck

My Kaplan instructor told us that we are not allowed to write anything during this tutorial. He said we should take this time to look around, get comfortable, adjust the chair, etc...when did you take the DAT? I'd like to take 5 mins to do the "memory dump" I always do before taking a test. I'll call my center today.....

My Kaplan instructor told us that we are not allowed to write anything during this tutorial. He said we should take this time to look around, get comfortable, adjust the chair, etc...when did you take the DAT? I'd like to take 5 mins to do the "memory dump" I always do before taking a test. I'll call my center today.....

I took my exam yesterday. I asked before. they said it was fine. I also asked if it was ok to hold my paper against the board (for angles) and tey said tey dnt care, they just dont want me to touch it becuse it is a flat lcd screen. just ask them before you sit down.

you will get a board and dry eraser....
the person who answered your call was incompetent

That looks like about the right size marker, and should be fine, but I can't see the tip. The ones on my DAT were made by Expo and the tip was about as thick as a sharpie, if you want to simulate the exact experience. To study, I bought a really fat dry erase marker to practice writing with, so the marker they gave me for the DAT seemed great in comparison!

you will get a board and dry eraser....
the person who answered your call was incompetent

I got scratch paper and pencil at the testing center. Funny how people assume. To the OP, I took the test in Dallas, TX.

I took my exam yesterday. I asked before. they said it was fine. I also asked if it was ok to hold my paper against the board (for angles) and tey said tey dnt care, they just dont want me to touch it becuse it is a flat lcd screen. just ask them before you sit down.

Oh wow! My Kaplan instructor also told us of a guy touching the screen and his exam was suspended! He double checked with other Kaplan instructors and they all told him that that was correct...that the testing center can stop the exam if you touch the screen :( Well, it looks like it depends on the center, and the mood of the proctor!

I'll make sure I ask for all these little things before the test. It's going to be very tempting to touch the screen! My center for sure will provide me with paper and pencil :)

I got there an hour early. 8AM scheduled but showed up at 7 :)
I was the only one there so it only took like 5 mins for them to get my finger print and picture.