If your question is: is this it common at most universities ?
Yes, it is. At my former school it was a required practice. Reason being that people fill up valuable spots and then fail out of classes they are not prepared for. You most likely would not, given your degree, but I don't understand why you need to take intro chem in the first place if you have a biology degree. Most biology degrees, if not all, require at least 4-5 semesters of chemistry courses - a year of general + year of organic + either biochem or analytical chemistry depending on your concentration.
If your question is: would I have to do this in pharmacy school ?
Yes, sort of. I just got a package from my school with things I need to start studying for and read before the school even started, so I can take the exams.