Testing out of premed requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cupcakewarrior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have AP Calc BC credit from high school and my college only awards credit for a 5 on the exam, but I know they say AP credit doesn't count for premed requirements.

I will definitely be taking one semester of Statistics for my major, but still need to fulfill the other semester with calculus. I can test out of Calc 3 by placement exam and get credit from the math department towards graduation/major/transcript requirements.

Does this credit also count as the semester calculus requirement for med school or no? Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) So I have AP Calc BC credit from high school and my college only awards credit for a 5 on the exam, but I know they say AP credit doesn't count for premed requirements.

I will definitely be taking one semester of Statistics for my major, but still need to fulfill the other semester with calculus. I can test out of Calc 3 by placement exam and get credit from the math department towards graduation/major/transcript requirements.

2) Does this credit also count as the semester calculus requirement for med school or no? Thank you for your help in advance!
Med schools have individual policies as to whether they accept AP credit and placement test credit. You'll have to check on whether that's true for the schools you most favor.

So I have AP Calc BC credit from high school and my college only awards credit for a 5 on the exam, but I know they say AP credit doesn't count for premed requirements.

Does this credit also count as the semester calculus requirement for med school or no? Thank you for your help in advance!

You need to consult the MSAR to see which schools don't accept AP credits. Most are usually ok, but some (Yale and Columbia come to mind) don't. In this case, you should probably take an upper-level version of a course or (if you really want to, I don't recommend) retake the course.

IMO, nearly all schools are ok with AP Calc credit, so taking an upper-level version isn't necessary (unless you really want to).

Members don't see this ad :)
The policies differ by school. Some schools will allow you to waive the course altogether while other schools only accept AP credit if you take upper level classes. Then there are the few schools that require you to take the class regardless of whether you received AP credit or not.

The policies differ by school. Some schools will allow you to waive the course altogether while other schools only accept AP credit if you take upper level classes. Then there are the few schools that require you to take the class regardless of whether you received AP credit or not.

Know any examples of the bolded? I'm certain upper level courses are appropriate substitutes

Know any examples of the bolded? I'm certain upper level courses are appropriate substitutes

I don't. This was all from experience from friends of mine. Although, some websites say "1 year of general blah blah. No AP credit allowed for substitution.", so I wonder if they allow upper level classes if they require the general class.

Thanks for the link. Though I'm disappointed that there are some schools that refuse to take upper-level credit as substitutes for intro courses (I fail to understand how this makes sense). However, they all seem to be heavily IS-favored state schools (UCLA-Geffen seems weird though), so it doesn't matter in the long run. Still a good link for future references.