This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sun_flower580

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
So I am a current senior in undergrad and med school applicant ( MD only, no DO) from TX, URM, MCAT=500, GPA= 3.5, bcpm=3.2, pretty good EC's. I applied to every MD school in TX and 17 mid tier (w a couple low and high tier sprinkled in) OOS MD schools
As of right now, I have 2 OOS interviews at mid tier schools and one interview waitlist position at an OOS school
I have not heard back from any TX schools. I know my stats are low so my odds were not great to begin with, but I do find it really strange that OOS schools have reached out while no TX schools have considering the 90% TX student make up of TX schools

At this point I am wondering a couple of things

1) Since I did get to the interview stage, does this mean I have a fair chance at the OOS schools or will the TX resident bias still play a role?

2) Is it not very strange that only OOS schools have shown me any love?

I just finished interviewing at an OOS school that based on the phenomenal tour and atmosphere has moved to my #1 choice I am just really anxious that I would not get in as every year OOS students only make up 19% of their class. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are quite low compared to medians for Texas MD schools. Maybe UTRGV will invite you for an interview. If you don't get in this year, restudy for the MCAT and include DO schools next time.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that combination of MCAT and science GPA is killing your chance at any MD invites in Texas and I'm a bit surprised you got the two OOS MD interviews that you did. I guess your activities and essays made a good impression, so you've got that going for you anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you privately DM me what schools you applied to, if that’s okay with you? Im applying next year and am in the same boat as you with my gpa and stuff so I wanted to get an idea of schools you might recommend.

I'm in the same boat as an IS Texas, but have only received OoS love. It is hard to know why you might be being overlooked from Texas schools specifically, but for me I believe it has been more mission fit. The OoS schools that showed me interest were interested in specific aspects of my application and I felt I fit better with their mission. I can PM more specifics, but honestly a lot of this guesswork. If I had to guess for you, it would be the MCAT score.

You can also reach out to Texas schools to make sure your application is complete and follow up if you are denied.

Not applying to DO schools with your stats was likely an error, but that ship has likely sailed. Be ready to be a reapplicant.

Your stats are well below the median for every Texas MD school, and they're also below the median for almost every MD program in the country.

Getting to an interview is an important step, but being OOS will still play a factor in future decisions.

EDIT: Never mind, this thread was bumped a year after its OP posted it, and OP wa as last seen several weeks ago.