Texas Hazelwood Act

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earsopen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hazelwood Act gives you 150 free credit hours in Texas. The question I always had as a pre-med was "how many hours is medical school?" I was never able to find this information when I was applying, so here it is to anyone that is planning on using Hazelwood to pay for school. Just finished my first year and they charged me 69 hours. So there you have it. Probably varies from one school to the next, but Hazelwood will get you through about 2 years. I'm curious if any other Texas students are using it and how many hours they got charged.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the information! I was also curious about this and emailed a number of the schools about it. I was only able to actually get numbers from a couple of schools. UTMB told me that it's about 191 hours for all 4 years and UTHSCSA has a sample curriculum that amounts to 175. I also noticed that Baylor lists 344 (not that that's relevant for Hazlewood) so there's clearly some discrepancy between each school.

Good to know. I am hoping Hazlewood would stretch out to all 3 of my years after my 12 months of Chap 33 run out... I really hope it does!

Good to know. I am hoping Hazlewood would stretch out to all 3 of my years after my 12 months of Chap 33 run out... I really hope it does!

It will last you around 2.2-2.4yrs depending on the school you go to. Also, Hazlewood only covers tuition and not "Fees" how your school assigns "Fees" is up to them; depending on the school this can be $3,000 per year. Either way you're going to want to budget $20,000 for your last year. 10,000 for Step 2 CK/CK and interview trail + 10,000 for tuition. Only 50% of Texas students stay in Texas for residency even less so for competitive residencies, so you will be flying + hotel over the US 4th year, plus other fees that relate to getting your MD and license. One other thing is that every year school gets more expensive i.e. buying NBMEs for shelf's. study books for shelf's and traveling/parking passes (yes I'm salty about this BS) during rotations which includes every school in Texas.

Reactions: 1 users