Texas Academic Fresh Start Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicandtoughness

pewpew
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I’ve talked to several people this year who are interested in AFS or would be great AFS candidates who feel overwhelmed by the process, so figured I would start a thread for y’all to ask questions. I went through the process this year and got in via TMDSAS (9 interviews, 2 pre-matches). My GPA went from a 2.7 to a 3.8 overnight.

It’s a confusing process but can be really helpful and is basically made for non-trads who struggled with college the first go around but got their heads finally screwed on right ;)

I know a few other folks this cycle also had AFS so hopefully they can chime in too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks @chicandtoughness for starting this thread. I do have a few questions:

1. What school did you use for declaring AFS? I've seen it mentioned on SDN that HCC is the path of least resistance, but I am curious about your experience.

2. I am having a hard time getting a straight answer from TMDSAS regarding this. The AFS statute states that for GPA calculation grades earned by the applicant 10 or more years prior to the starting date of the semester in which the applicant seeks to enroll will not be considered. Under this criteria, if I declare AFS in the Summer '24 semester, will grades from the Summer '14 be included on my transcripts?

3. Baylor joined TMDSAS in 2021. Since TMDSAS processes transcripts to reflect AFS, does that mean that one can use their AFS GPA when applying to Baylor even though they are a private school? Or does TMDSAS transmit a separate set of transcripts to Baylor?

Reactions: 1 user

1. What school did you use for declaring AFS? I've seen it mentioned on SDN that HCC is the path of least resistance, but I am curious about your experience.

2. I am having a hard time getting a straight answer from TMDSAS regarding this. The AFS statute states that for GPA calculation grades earned by the applicant 10 or more years prior to the starting date of the semester in which the applicant seeks to enroll will not be considered. Under this criteria, if I declare AFS in the Summer '24 semester, will grades from the Summer '14 be included on my transcripts?

3. Baylor joined TMDSAS in 2021. Since TMDSAS processes transcripts to reflect AFS, does that mean that one can use their AFS GPA when applying to Baylor even though they are a private school? Or does TMDSAS transmit a separate set of transcripts to Baylor?

1. UNT in Denton will do AFS, as will UT Arlington. I have personal experience with both, and it was relatively easy.
2. You must "invoke" AFS at the start of a semester. Hence, yes, summer 14' grades would be included it would be less than 10 yrs (grades earned in 14' were at the end of the term)
3. AFS only applies to public schools because it is a state statute. Baylor will get your actual GPA.

All of these answers are based on my personal experience w/ AFS, which was several years ago, so, take them with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)

I used HCC because their admissions criteria is lax, turnaround time is fast, and they have an AFS form easily accessible on their website. I applied and got my admission the following day, and my AFS processed a week later. Keep in mind your AFS school does not need to be where you’re taking prereqs or anything.

2. That is correct.

3. The way that AFS works for TMDSAS specifically, is once TMDSAS processes your transcripts, they literally REMOVE all classes from 10 years and earlier before transmitting your app. If you look at my TMDSAS app I just have blanks for my first undergraduate degree. It is a blanket TMDSAS policy and not a per school, so yes, Baylor will not see the classes from 10 years ago. Doesn’t matter if it’s a public vs. private school. This only applies to TMDSAS schools, so idk how TCU and UIWSOM handle it. (The other person who replied had AFS before Baylor joined TMDSAS, so our experiences were different. Can confirm Baylor saw my AFS’ed grades otherwise would never have extended me an interview because my pre-AFS GPA was a 2.8 lmao).

Last edited:
Oh, just had another thought. If you’re doing AFS please submit your primary SUPER EARLY. You have to send all transcripts before TMDSAS will transmit your primary to schools, and their verification process can take a while. It took a whole month before my app was transmitted.

This is what the text of the statute says about those who have completed a Bachelors Degree under academic fresh start.

If a student who enrolls under this section completes a prescribed course of study, earns a baccalaureate degree, and applies for admission to a postgraduate or professional program offered by a public institution of higher education, the institution, in considering the applicant for admission into the postgraduate or professional program, shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section, along with any other criteria the institution uses in evaluating applicants for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.

It seems like this states that the only courses that will be looked at are those after Academic Fresh Start has been invoked. Not the courses included within the ten years before starting the AFS program.

It seems like this states that the only courses that will be looked at are those after Academic Fresh Start has been invoked. Not the courses included within the ten years before starting the AFS program.
This is incorrect in the context of TMDSAS and med school applications.

It is important to keep in mind that AFS is a state mandate and holds at the institution you invoke it. Therefore, let's say I invoke AFS in fall 2023 at University of Houston. Going forward, UH will never look at any classes before fall 2023 in their GPA calculations, admissions, etc.

TMDSAS is a separate entity and they have chosen to utilize AFS in a particular way. Specifically in this previous example:

If I declare/invoke AFS in fall 2023, all classes from summer 2013 and earlier (10 years earlier) are removed from TMDSAS and not included in your GPA calculations and coursework.

Last edited:
This is what is confusing as this is the exact text of the statute.

Sec. 51.931. RIGHT TO AN ACADEMIC FRESH START. (d) If a student who enrolls under this section completes a prescribed course of study, earns a baccalaureate degree, and applies for admission to a postgraduate or professional program offered by a public institution of higher education, the institution, in considering the applicant for admission into the postgraduate or professional program, shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section, along with any other criteria the institution uses in evaluating applicants for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.

I also heard the former director of TMDSAS in a podcast stating that they wipe out everything before the time period when academic fresh start is noted on your transcript. I think the confusion might arise in that this is only applicable if you’ve attained a bachelors degree using AFS. If you used AFS and only took a few classes and never earned a degree under the provision then I don’t think that part d of the statute applies to you.

I also heard the former director of TMDSAS in a podcast stating that they wipe out everything before the time period when academic fresh start is noted on your transcript. I think the confusion might arise in that this is only applicable if you’ve attained a bachelors degree using AFS. If you used AFS and only took a few classes and never earned a degree under the provision then I don’t think that part d of the statute applies to you.
My experience is an N=1 so I can only speak to my experience. The process for AFS in TMDSAS is that they literally just wipe out all classes from 10 years and before. It doesn't matter whether you've earned a degree before or after.

Directly from an email from TMDSAS when I asked them how they manage AFS (with no information about my degree status):

"When figuring out what coursework will be excluded once you invoke Academic Fresh Start, you subtract ten years and one term. TMDSAS will recognize the AFS designation that would appear on your institution’s transcripts (where you invoked AFS) and based on the date that you will invoke AFS (Spring 2022) would exclude coursework from Fall 2012 and back."

Do you not currently hold a bachelor's degree? (Sorry, I know this sounds judgmental, I promise it's not! Just wanting to know so I can understand how to advise).

The Texas law that established AFS applies to taxpayer-funded colleges and universities only. BCM is a private institution. They do not follow AFS guidelines even though Texas residents receive taxpayer-funded tuition subsidies. Email from BCM:

"From the Sr. Associate Dean:
Academic fresh start is only for Texas public colleges or universities. We do not participate in this program."

I used HCC because their admissions criteria is lax, turnaround time is fast, and they have an AFS form easily accessible on their website.

https://formsportal.hccs.edu/Forms/AFS It specifically mentions enrolling at HCC. If you're currently enrolled there, what then? Sit out and apply for readmission?

Can it be done twice? I don't see anything prohibiting that. Remember that once it is invoked, you will need 90 semester hours of newer coursework to apply to Texas medical schools.

Last edited:
This is not correct IN THE CONTEXT OF TMDSAS.

What that statute means is you cannot invoke AFS at Baylor or SHSU (this is correct).

However, you absolutely can invoke AFS at a public institution, and then that AFS designation will be respected by TMDSAS when they see it on your transcript.

Remember, your schools never see your official transcripts until after you are accepted. During the app process, they see only your school/course list from TMDSAS. And if TMDSAS removes your pre-10 year courses in the system, your schools WILL NOT SEE THEM WHEN YOU APPLY. This includes all TMDSAS schools private and public!

I am not sure of the situation where you sit out and reapply for admission with AFS, especially if it’s recent. Most likely HCC will find it a little sketchy at best, or deny it at worst. It might be okay if you like, took classes in the past but haven’t in a while, and are applying for readmission. I would ask HCC for clarification if that’s allowed.

I also do not know if it can be done twice (I’m sure that’s a rare situation). I would ask TMDSAS that second question directly.

My
This is not correct IN THE CONTEXT OF TMDSAS.

What that statute means is you cannot invoke AFS at Baylor or SHSU (this is correct).

However, you absolutely can invoke AFS at a public institution, and then that AFS designation will be respected by TMDSAS when they see it on your transcript.

Remember, your schools never see your official transcripts until after you are accepted. During the app process, they see only your school/course list from TMDSAS. And if TMDSAS removes your pre-10 year courses in the system, your schools WILL NOT SEE THEM WHEN YOU APPLY. This includes all TMDSAS schools private and public!

I am not sure of the situation where you sit out and reapply for admission with AFS, especially if it’s recent. Most likely HCC will find it a little sketchy at best, or deny it at worst. It might be okay if you like, took classes in the past but haven’t in a while, and are applying for readmission. I would ask HCC for clarification if that’s allowed.

I also do not know if it can be done twice (I’m sure that’s a rare situation). I would ask TMDSAS that second question directly.

This correct, the statue is about invoking it, though I do think that regarding other admissions (for example to a private grad program at Baylor), they could, in fact, use your entire GPA to justify not meeting their program criteria. My understanding is that Baylor is now part of TMDSAS, so yes, technically they won't know what your previous grades are. That being said, the general consensus has previously been that Baylor is not a non-trad friendly school to begin with. That sentiment stems from previous MSAR data and overt, ageist statements from faculty.

That being said, the general consensus has previously been that Baylor is not a non-trad friendly school to begin with. That sentiment stems from previous MSAR data and overt, ageist statements from faculty.
BCM has definitely accepted/prematched super non-traditional individuals. I add this just to not stop anyone with an otherwise strong application from shooting their shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

TMDSAS does not advise on AFS. Applicants will need to speak with an admissions officer at the university they plan to enroll in.

Best,

TMDSAS Support

BCM has definitely accepted/prematched super non-traditional individuals. I add this just to not stop anyone with an otherwise strong application from shooting their shot.

Ofc they have. My point was that their previous track record reflected a lower percentage of non-trad matriculants than most other schools in Texas, and that some of their faculty had made overtly ageist remarks in podcasts and such. I personally didn't apply to Baylor because of the remarks that were made, but that shouldn't stop anyone else from doing so.

Hello,

TMDSAS does not advise on AFS. Applicants will need to speak with an admissions officer at the university they plan to enroll in.

Best,

TMDSAS Support
TMDSAS is very careful in their answers in general. You gotta ask the correct question to get a useful answer (treat it like a rudimentary/poorly trained AI lol).

If this is about the declaring AFS twice, don’t ask TMDSAS if that’s allowed. Ask them something like, “I already declared AFS in 2013. I am planning to declare AFS again in 2023. Once you see my transcripts with the AFS designations, which classes will be removed from my coursework list? (e.g. classes before which semester?)”

HCC clarified that AFS is in connection with admission or readmission. A currently enrolled student can't get it.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
You could possibly try LSC (they’ll do it, it just takes a long time and you need to be on top of it).

HCC clarified that AFS is in connection with admission or readmission. A currently enrolled student can't get it.

This is a key critical point for all schools that I've seen mentioned over the years. AFS is something you have to come to the table with before applying, or they won't engage with you.

My experience is an N=1 so I can only speak to my experience. The process for AFS in TMDSAS is that they literally just wipe out all classes from 10 years and before. It doesn't matter whether you've earned a degree before or after.

Directly from an email from TMDSAS when I asked them how they manage AFS (with no information about my degree status):

"When figuring out what coursework will be excluded once you invoke Academic Fresh Start, you subtract ten years and one term. TMDSAS will recognize the AFS designation that would appear on your institution’s transcripts (where you invoked AFS) and based on the date that you will invoke AFS (Spring 2022) would exclude coursework from Fall 2012 and back."

Do you not currently hold a bachelor's degree? (Sorry, I know this sounds judgmental, I promise it's not! Just wanting to know so I can understand how to advise).
I do currently hold a bachelor’s degree. I talked to the current director of TMDSAS and in an email he said the coursework that is looked at in determining your GPA is that after AFS has been triggered.

I do currently hold a bachelor’s degree. I talked to the current director of TMDSAS and in an email he said the coursework that is looked at in determining your GPA is that after AFS has been triggered.
Yes, so everything from 10 years to the present will be the coursework looked at in calculating the GPA. The rest (everything before 10 years) literally gets removed from your TMDSAS application. Like, they don't even show up on my course list in the TMDSAS system.

Yes, so everything from 10 years to the present will be the coursework looked at in calculating the GPA. The rest (everything before 10 years) literally gets removed from your TMDSAS application. Like, they don't even show up on my course list in the TMDSAS system.
No. He said the coursework COMPLETED after triggering AFS at a university is used. I made sure to clarify that. What you’re saying is completely going against the text of the statute.

This is the exact text of the statute. (d) If a student who enrolls under this section completes a prescribed course of study, earns a baccalaureate degree, and applies for admission to a postgraduate or professional program offered by a public institution of higher education, the institution, in considering the applicant for admission into the postgraduate or professional program, shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section, along with any other criteria the institution uses in evaluating applicants for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.

Why are people paying attention to every subsection of the law except that one? It says very clearly…shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section.

No. He said the coursework COMPLETED after triggering AFS at a university is used. I made sure to clarify that. What you’re saying is completely going against the text of the statute.

This is the exact text of the statute. (d) If a student who enrolls under this section completes a prescribed course of study, earns a baccalaureate degree, and applies for admission to a postgraduate or professional program offered by a public institution of higher education, the institution, in considering the applicant for admission into the postgraduate or professional program, shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section, along with any other criteria the institution uses in evaluating applicants for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.

Why are people paying attention to every subsection of the law except that one? It says very clearly…shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section.
I don't know what to tell you. I went through TMDSAS this past application season with AFS. Unless the statute magically changed between 2022 and 2023, this is what happened to me and several others who also did AFS last year.

I'm going to say it again: that statute you've quoted applies to applying directly to a graduate program. We are NOT applying directly to a graduate program; we use an application system called TMDSAS and the way they are honor AFS is different.

I'm telling you what TMDSAS has told me, what my experience has been, what my friends' experiences has been. You are welcome to use my advice or not. Or you can go ahead and submit TMDSAS and see what shows up on your courselist, and that will put this to rest once and for all.

I will quote this email again, which is also from TMDSAS:

Interesting, I thought that in the above scenario any coursework before Spring 2012 would be excluded--but it sounds like Spring 2012 is also excluded; is that correct?

In that case, if I invoke AFS in Spring 2024 it would mean that coursework from Spring 2014 would be excluded, correct?

Interesting, I thought that in the above scenario any coursework before Spring 2012 would be excluded--but it sounds like Spring 2012 is also excluded; is that correct?

In that case, if I invoke AFS in Spring 2024 it would mean that coursework from Spring 2014 would be excluded, correct?
I think that's actually a typo in the email that I didn't even realize until now. That should read "Fall 2011 and back".

I ended up invoking AFS in Summer 2022, and that excluded coursework from spring 2012 and back. It's 10 years + 1 semester (at least, that's how TMDSAS explained it to me). So if you invoke spring 2024 it should be fall 2013 and back. I would double check with TMDSAS to be sure - ask them specifically "If I invoke AFS in X semester, which semesters would be removed from my record?" Cheers!

This official State of Texas site shows the complete text of the law for Academic Fresh Start.

Sec. 51.931. RIGHT TO AN ACADEMIC FRESH START. (a) This section applies to any public institution of higher education as defined in Section 61.003 of this code.
(b) Unless otherwise prohibited by law, a resident of this state is entitled to apply for admission to and enroll as an undergraduate student in any public institution of higher education under this section.
(c) If an applicant elects to seek admission under this section, a public institution of higher education, in considering the applicant for admission, shall not consider academic course credits or grades earned by the applicant 10 or more years prior to the starting date of the semester in which the applicant seeks to enroll. An applicant who makes the election to apply under this section and is admitted as a student may not receive any course credit for courses undertaken 10 or more years prior to enrollment under this section.
(d) If a student who enrolls under this section completes a prescribed course of study, earns a baccalaureate degree, and applies for admission to a postgraduate or professional program offered by a public institution of higher education, the institution, in considering the applicant for admission into the postgraduate or professional program, shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section, along with any other criteria the institution uses in evaluating applicants for admission into the postgraduate or professional program.
(e) Nothing in this section prohibits a public institution of higher education from applying standard admissions criteria generally applicable to persons seeking admission to the institution.

Added by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 724, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 30, 1993. Renumbered from Education Code Sec. 51.929 by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 76, Sec. 17.01(7), eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sections (c) and (d) are points of contention. Notice that section (c) does not mention obtaining a baccalaureate degree (an associate's degree is not a baccalaureate degree) and section (d) does. Section (c) mentions 10 years. Section (d) does not. Look at the sequence of conditions in section (d):

1. enrolls under this section [invokes AFS]
2. completes a prescribed course of study
3. earns a baccalaureate degree
4. applies for admission to a postgraduate or professional degree

It could be argued that with all four conditions satisfied, section (d) does indeed state "shall consider only the grade point average of the applicant established by the course work completed after enrollment under this section" which is different from what section (c) states.

Those arguing for section (c) haven't obtained a bachelor's degree after invoking AFS.

As previously posted, how a question is posed to TMDSAS is very important.

I'd suggest asking TMDSAS directly your situation, with very clear dates and degrees, to make sure it fits your situation.

You could, of course, also wait until you apply and see how they process your app, and then share with us the results!

I don't know what to tell you. I went through TMDSAS this past application season with AFS. Unless the statute magically changed between 2022 and 2023, this is what happened to me and several others who also did AFS last year.

I'm going to say it again: that statute you've quoted applies to applying directly to a graduate program. We are NOT applying directly to a graduate program; we use an application system called TMDSAS and the way they are honor AFS is different.

I'm telling you what TMDSAS has told me, what my experience has been, what my friends' experiences has been. You are welcome to use my advice or not. Or you can go ahead and submit TMDSAS and see what shows up on your courselist, and that will put this to rest once and for all.

This is what I received as a reply to my question directly from the director at TMDSAS. I will note that others at TMDSAS did say what you’re saying but the director at TMDSAS didn’t.

“Only the coursework after AFS is triggered at the point of acceptance at a university is used to calculate GPA for TMDSAS. However, all coursework will need to be reported as a full academic record is required for the application.”

We might be talking about different things. I’m only talking about GPA. I’m not talking about course credit. Your email that you quoted says nothing what happens to the grades earned between Fall 2012 and since you invoked AFS. Again I’m talking about GPA not course credit or course work.

This is what I received as a reply to my question directly from the director at TMDSAS. I will note that others at TMDSAS did say what you’re saying but the director at TMDSAS didn’t.

“Only the coursework after AFS is triggered at the point of acceptance at a university is used to calculate GPA for TMDSAS. However, all coursework will need to be reported as a full academic record is required for the application.”

We might be talking about different things. I’m only talking about GPA. I’m not talking about course credit. Your email that you quoted says nothing what happens to the grades earned between Fall 2012 and since you invoked AFS. Again I’m talking about GPA not course credit or course work.
I believe you, I'm just sharing my experience and encouraging folks to email directly about their unique situation. In my situation, my GPA was calculated from Fall 2012 onwards.

Here is a podcast hosted by the current director of TMDSAS where AFS is discussed in detail--skip to 2:00:

"Is Academic Fresh Start Right for You?" with Mr. Matthew Meeks.

They state unambiguously that for TMDSAS purposes, AFS applicant transcripts are processed by removing coursework completed 10 or more years prior to invoking AFS. However, I do see your point about that position conflicting with Section D of the statute. If you get further clarification or have a different experience with TMDSAS using AFS, let us know.

I believe you, I'm just sharing my experience and encouraging folks to email directly about their unique situation. In my situation, my GPA was calculated from Fall 2012 onwards.
hi there I currently have a 2.9 cGPA (graduated in 2016 with a BS in Finance). I'm planning on enrolling in a structured pre-health postbacc to obtain my prereqs. How would I go about enrolling in AFS? Do I have to do my postgrad at a University that has AFS? I'm confused if AFS only applies to those who didn't finish their bachelors? I'm from New Jersey btw, but obtained my degree from a private school in Florida.

This is about Texas Academic Fresh Start. It is of value only to people who apply to Texas medical schools using TMDSAS. TMDSAS is used by almost every medical school in Texas instead of AMCAS. Texas AFS is of no value to people applying to the 2 private medical schools not using TMDSAS. Texas AFS works for people whether or not they have a bachelor's degree. Texas residents have a distinct advantage over nonresidents. If you're not planning on establishing residency in Texas, AFS is likely to be a distraction and waste of your time.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
(Just two schools now! Baylor joined the fold 2 years ago :))

• Love
1. University of Incarnate Word Osteopathic Medical School (uses AACOMAS)
2. Burnett School of Medicine at Texas Christian University (uses AMCAS)

Hi there,
Thank you for everyones input in regards to AFS, I have been able to receive priceless information here on SDN that is greatly appreciated. Upon reading over these forums for many hours/ days searching on this topic, I still seem to be getting conflicting information from the schools at a local level so I was hoping to turn here for some advice. :) A little backstory on my situation- I'm approximately 2 years away from the 10 year mark at which time I was hoping to invoke AFS and "wipe out" all my prior classes & bad grades. My desire is to take classes now before I switch to another school and then invoke AFS so I dont have to wait two years before returning to school. I'm deciding on the proper course of action in advance, hopefully to continue on the path of applying thru TMDSAS and pursuing a career as a MD/DO.

I'm planning to start back at LoneStar CC in 2024 for a few years and then transfer (I believe it can't be the same one you enroll in if you're already enrolled there) to HCC to declare AFS there around 2027 and take a few or (I've read it can be via just 1 class at a Community College, etc.) and then I'll transfer to a university for my bachelor's .....rather than wait the 2 years to start back school when all my classes that I'm wanting to eliminate fall under the AFS 10 yrs time.

Curious to see if any of you successfully "tested the waters" and were able to take pre reqs / classes (without declaring Fresh Start... and then declare it at another school (ex: community college/university) after getting the recent classes under your belt?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi there,
Thank you for everyones input in regards to AFS, I have been able to receive priceless information here on SDN that is greatly appreciated. Upon reading over these forums for many hours/ days searching on this topic, I still seem to be getting conflicting information from the schools at a local level so I was hoping to turn here for some advice. :) A little backstory on my situation- I'm approximately 2 years away from the 10 year mark at which time I was hoping to invoke AFS and "wipe out" all my prior classes & bad grades. My desire is to take classes now before I switch to another school and then invoke AFS so I dont have to wait two years before returning to school. I'm deciding on the proper course of action in advance, hopefully to continue on the path of applying thru TMDSAS and pursuing a career as a MD/DO.

I'm planning to start back at LoneStar CC in 2024 for a few years and then transfer (I believe it can't be the same one you enroll in if you're already enrolled there) to HCC to declare AFS there around 2027 and take a few or (I've read it can be via just 1 class at a Community College, etc.) and then I'll transfer to a university for my bachelor's .....rather than wait the 2 years to start back school when all my classes that I'm wanting to eliminate fall under the AFS 10 yrs time.

Curious to see if any of you successfully "tested the waters" and were able to take pre reqs / classes (without declaring Fresh Start... and then declare it at another school (ex: community college/university) after getting the recent classes under your belt?

Thanks in advance!
Yep, that's a tenable strategy and what I am planning to do. Since AFS is invoked at the institutional level, it won't matter if you take classes at one school now and invoke AFS at another school later.

Keep in mind that you need to be admitted to the institution under AFS. So you couldn't start taking classes at a school, then later declare AFS at that same school--but it sounds like you're already aware of that based on your comment.

Good luck!

Last edited:
This is exactly what I did. Undergrad 2008-2012, took post bac classes at like 10 different schools 2014-2021, declared AFS at HCC in 2022, wiped out my grades from 2012 and before :) It works, trust the system!

You only need to take one semester hour at the new school. I'm taking a 1-semester hour class at San Jacinto College.

I'm sure I'm about to answer my own question but the Academic Fresh Start which is honored by TMDSAS only applies after you submitted AFS. So hypothetically as a non-Texas resident, if I applied to the premed post-bacc at UT Dallas for spring 2024 and finished it. There would be no gain in my GPA since I would've had to move to Texas and be a resident for a year before starting UT Dallas and submitting AFS? Basically there is no way to gain the AFS benefits on TMDSAS without establishing residency first correct? Sorry if that was confusing.

Reread the law linked and copied above. It's for residents of the Great State of Texas.

This is exactly what I did. Undergrad 2008-2012, took post bac classes at like 10 different schools 2014-2021, declared AFS at HCC in 2022, wiped out my grades from 2012 and before :) It works, trust the system!
I just tried to do this at HCC for Spring 2024 as a new transfer student and was told I cannot do AFS because I have a previous bachelors degree. I’m so bummed. I know others with previous degrees who did AFS at HCC. Is this a rule change? What now? 😕

Has anyone in Texas with a previous bachelors degree been allowed to invoke Academic Fresh Start at a community college RECENTLY? Please help! The law does not prohibit those with previous degrees from doing fresh start but a lot of schools have created these rules erroneously.

I just tried to do this at HCC for Spring 2024 as a new transfer student and was told I cannot do AFS because I have a previous bachelors degree. I’m so bummed. I know others with previous degrees who did AFS at HCC. Is this a rule change? What now? 😕
Oh no! That’s really discouraging, HCC was always supportive before so I wonder if they did get new staff or new rules. Did you fill out the form and they reached out to let you know? I heard of someone doing it as recently as summer 2023 so this must be really new.

Lone Star College will do AFS, you just need to be REALLY aggressive with tracking them down and keeping up with it.

Oh no! That’s really discouraging, HCC was always supportive before so I wonder if they did get new staff or new rules. Did you fill out the form and they reached out to let you know? I heard of someone doing it as recently as summer 2023 so this must be really new.

Lone Star College will do AFS, you just need to be REALLY aggressive with tracking them down and keeping up with it.
Yep, I submitted the form and got an email from the registrar pretty quickly saying I didn't qualify because of having a degree. I wish they would at least clarify these things so that people wouldn't spend time and money applying, getting transcripts sent, etc... all before knowing if they'll let us do AFS. Totally backwards. I will reach out to Lone Star, thanks for the info. I'm still so bummed about this because I got my hopes up about HCC... trying to stay positive but I'm low key exhausted with everything on my plate, as all premeds know.

Update: HCC approved my AFS petition. 👍

Here's what it's going to look like on your HCC transcript:

Name : Med,Buddha
Student ID: 123456789
Birthdate : 2000-01-01
Address : 1234 MAIN ST
SOMEWHERE, TX 77001
United States
Declared Academic Fresh Start - January 12, 2024

San Jacinto College said they approved my AFS request. I'm waiting to see an update to my transcript.

Quick question ya'll. My bad grades ended in 2015 with which I have my associates degree. If I got my AS to BS completion recently and invoked a fresh start - would I need to redo the AS portion of it? my prereqs would be recent too. Thank you!

AFS wiping out AS credits from more than 10 years ago doesn't invalidate the BS. The fact that the BS built upon the AS is irrelevant.

You appear to be saying 1/2 of your coursework is more than 10 years old. That means 1/2 of your courses are less than 10 years old. If you have 130 credits, then half go away leaving you with 65 hours. You need 90 hours to apply to medical school. In other words, you need 90 hours that are less than 10 years old. I had to take extra courses to get my recent hours up to 90.

People who use AFS are the exceptions to the TMDSAS rule of not submitting transcripts until accepted. What's the earliest we can submit transcripts? May 1 or 15?