Texas Heart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barrytee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the deal is with Texas Heart Institute and what is supposed to happen with future fellowships (i.e. Baylor vs. UT Houston)?

Members don't see this ad.

barrytee said:
anyone know what the deal is with Texas Heart Institute and what is supposed to happen with future fellowships (i.e. Baylor vs. UT Houston)?

No one knows for sure. Up to now it has been split leadership between UTH and BCM and both institutions were equals there. But as Texas Heart Institute (THI) is part of St. Luke's, and St. Luke's has become BCM's principal private teaching hospital, there is some question as to how long the current arrangement will play out.

So while I can't give you a straight answer, since no one knows, it would be logical that BCM starts increasing its say at THI as it becomes better integrated into St. Luke's.

I know that both Baylor and UT-H medical students rotate at Texas Heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the ACGME website, the THI cardiology program is listed as "Baylor College of Medicine/St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital" cardiology program so even if both Baylor and UT-Houston students rotate there, it appears to be a Baylor affiliated program.

say AH said:
According to the ACGME website, the THI cardiology program is listed as "Baylor College of Medicine/St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital" cardiology program so even if both Baylor and UT-Houston students rotate there, it appears to be a Baylor affiliated program.

Yeah, I second that both schools have students rotating there right now. Im just not sure how much longer this shared arrangement will last, considering I dont see any BCM students at Hermann (UTH hospital). So I doubt there would be too many UTH students at St. Luke's (where the Texas Heart Institute program is location)-- which is BCM's new home hospital.

Isn't it also true that Baylor has its own Cardiology program (making for 3 programs in Houston)? Sorry for the Perry Mason format.

TXMSIV said:
Isn't it also true that Baylor has its own Cardiology program (making for 3 programs in Houston)? Sorry for the Perry Mason format.

Yes, that is true. THI is awesome and herman is building a new 6 story heart institute, across the street from the new 30 story Herman medical plaza. Baylor's cardiology program is great as well. However, all take outsiders so it is not essential for one to do a residency here, although it couldn't hurt.