1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Texas incoming fellows and licensing

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Neoplastic, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Neoplastic

10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Hey all,

I am currently an IM resident and will be starting subspecialty training in Texas this summer. I'd like to use my general (internal medicine) training to do some moonlighting on the weekends.

Can anyone give me some guidance re: obtaining a Texas license?

Should I apply for it now just as a doctor who has completed his training would (and pony up the $850 myself, sign up for the jurisprudence exam, etc)?

Or should I wait to get some sort of doctor-in-training license later on? Does such a thing exist and does it give you the flexibility to moonlight at institutions other than your own?

Just curious what other future Texas fellows in my shoes have done. Thanks!

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wikiwiki

I am currently in California and I'm moving out to TX next month to start a practice. I just found out three days ago that my application is complete (that is I took the JP exam, submitted all the paperwork, etc.) However, that is not the end of it! Listen to this. In order to obtain a permanent license, your application must be complete 20 (yes 20!) days before the Board meets. If you're late, then you have to wait for the next time the Board meets (they meet 6 times a year), so in my case, it's Feb.

In the meantime, you can obtain a temporary license which is given out weekly, and that costs $50. However, you're not issued a permanent license right away either. There is some kind of RANDOM drawing where you are given either a 6,9,or 12 month permit for which you pay again another couple of hundreds of dollars. After that you have to re-register every 2 years at $752.

Does this sound ridiculous to anyone else? Do other states do it like this? I asked if I could talk to the department that assigns the random drawing to see if applicants are equally assigned 6,9,12 mos permits, but the rep said I could not. So as you can see, this is a very expensive process, so plan ahead. I was wondering how other people have dealt with this.