Texas Medical License Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passinggas247

Reaction score
I’m in the process of applying for a Texas medical license and they require an evaluation form from every place you’ve worked in the last 5 years. If my current job doesn’t yet know I’m considering relocating to Texas, how do you ask them to fill this form out without them finding out? Has anyone had to do this? I will eventually tell my current job but was still in the process of even securing a job before telling them.

Members don't see this ad.

I told mine I wanted another license; I had several other licenses at the time (and still do). They asked if I planned on leaving. I wasn't happy, but I said no; it wasn't a total lie, I wasn't actively looking. I left less than a year later when things went even further sideways.

I’m in the process of applying for a Texas medical license and they require an evaluation form from every place you’ve worked in the last 5 years. If my current job doesn’t yet know I’m considering relocating to Texas, how do you ask them to fill this form out without them finding out? Has anyone had to do this? I will eventually tell my current job but was still in the process of even securing a job before telling them.

If you don't want to tell them you're leaving you can try to tell them you're looking to pick up some locums on your vacation weeks. I think it would be hard to tell the Texas medical board you have a license in one other state but you're unable to provide the reference form for your FT job in that state.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the input. I guess I’m gonna have to at least let them know I’m applying for the license. Hopefully they won’t ask too many questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
People are free to look elsewhere. No one is tied to their job. You go to work. Be professional. I don’t think it’s awkward. Like getting professional referenced request for colleagues we work with. If they are looking elsewhere. That’s why there is a 60-90 day notice period to try to find other person.

It’s a mobile work force. Even in medicine especially anesthesia where there is no long term patients.

Unless you are a super partner who knows you are relying on underpaid worker bees to make more money off them. It shouldn’t make a difference to know if someone is applying for a license elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
People apply for licenses in other states all the time; it doesn't necessarily mean you are going to resign. In fact, you can tell them "I may be applying for licenses in 2-3 other states" and if they ask why, simply say you want options for the future that may include locums work.