Texas MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknown82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading some of these posts and it seems like the MPJE is a harder test compared to the NAPLEX itself!
I have also heard that the Florida, California, and Texas law exams are the hardest to pass.

For the people that have recently taken the Texas MPJE, was it really that bad??? I really only plan on taking it once because I have to get licensed before a set deadline. Any advice or ideas on study materials to use would be helpful.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

FYI to all interested:

I got my official letter from the board exactly 2 weeks after taking the exam. I passed the MPJE with an 87 using primarily the Kaplan Prep Guide written by Gary Cacciatore. The entire process from application to receiving confirmation of licensure took 6.5 weeks.

Good luck to anyone who is taking the test after me.

I too am looking for the guide by Gary Cacciatore. So far I have just printed the law and have been reading it as written from the TSBP website.

Any ideas on where to actually get a summarized review book for 2010?

I found it on the Texas Pharmacy Association website, but the price is pretty steep. $119 for TPA members, $139 for non-members.

http://www.rxpert.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=72

How much did you pay, Mike?

Should mention that the book linked is "The Guide to Texas Pharmacy and Drug Law-6th Edition." Is that same one you were talking about?

I found it on the Texas Pharmacy Association website, but the price is pretty steep. $119 for TPA members, $139 for non-members.

http://www.rxpert.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=72

How much did you pay, Mike?

Should mention that the book linked is "The Guide to Texas Pharmacy and Drug Law-6th Edition." Is that same one you were talking about?

Please be warned...this book is NOT the Kaplan guide that is being discussed. This is the full law book. I got my copy of the short Cacciatore guide from a friend. I don't know how one comes across it through normal channels.

Cat

Members don't see this ad :)
I attempted this bad boy of an exam today. I am feeling like some gang beat the daylight out of me. And to think that no one on this planet have more self-confidence than me before clicking question 1...

If I passed, there musta been some serious curving. Is that even possible?

Lemme get back to my book. NAPLEX next week.

Is this Kaplan Prep Guide provided at the Texas law symposium (LINK) that Berkley and Cacciatore do every so often (next one is on Oct 9)? If so, does anyone have their contact info? I'm certain they would consider providing it for a fee. I too want to jump on board as "desperately seeking this pdf," but can't fly/drive down to Austin anytime soon.

I have been studying what I could print off the TX board of pharmacy website, but am getting very overwhelmed with all the reading material. Is there a study guide that I could use to help condense the massive amount of reading? I have heard of a 59-page 'Kaplan guide' written by Gary Cacciatore. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice and/or assistance anyone would be willing to provide. Thank you so much in advance.

I took the mpje tx yesterday and feel I'll be lucky if I passed. I didn't prepare for it properly. I have prontopass cards and a Pharmacy Exam Review Guide disc with 150 practice test questions. I also have the 2010 Texas Pharmacy Laws book (huge blue book that's dry and difficult to read). I felt confident going in, but quickly after starting the test I knew I was guessing a lot of my answers. The questions each had 5 answers to choose from and I could only narrow it down to 2. From there I was guessing! I know the odds are against me. Anyone else had this experience - and PASSED? I am a reciprocating pharmacist. I haven't had to take an exam like this for quite a while.

Reactions: 1 user
If you speak broken English you will have a hard time passing the Texas MPJE. Even if you do pass, most Texans hate people who can't properly pronounce words in English.

All it takes is one foreign pharmacist to ruin business (e.g. prescription volume) at a pharmacy.

Does anyone think an American, let alone a Texan, wants to hear a foreigner tell them how to take their medication?!?!?:smuggrin:

What a schmuck! Frankly, there are plenty of people from Texas who can barely speak English (including a certain former President) and, based on this post, a number of predjudiced, ignorant ones to keep them company. I am not singling out Texas - sadly, ignorance runs rampant across the globe. RxMarine seems to be a proud example of such ignorance. For shame.

I would second the Cacciatore guide. Very succinct and to the point. A classmate of mine studied it exclusively and passed on his first attempt. I've got his copy, and I'm doing the same... planning to take the MPJE next month. Wish me luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed the exam on the 1st time; I only studied the Cacciatore and Brinkley's book . It is expensive book but just think about the time and money saving if somebody has to retake the exam. Thanks to the authors.:D

Good luck to everybody who has the exam coming.

So which is better material to study for TEXAS MPJE Lexis-Nexis Texas Law book or the Fred Brinkley Book? I need to know?

I am recent TTU grad and passed the TX MPJE earlier this week (93). I (as well as 2 of my other classmates) received the results on-line in 2 business days. (Took it on Monday AM, results available on NABP website Wednesday PM)

It was very straightforward (very little legalese) but there was a wide range of questions. While I felt my exam was possibly easier than others, there were several stretches where I know I got 8-10 right in a row and then the exam would lay the smack down with 2-4 questions that I absolutely had to guess on (definitely not in any of the review materials whatsoever).

I studied:

- READ ONCE: Fred Brinkley "Texas Pharmacy Law" (A.K.A... TPA Law Review Book) Available at: http://centerforexcellence.txpharmacy.org/index.cfm?pg=TexasPharmacyLaw

- READ TWICE a concise 42-page review given by my employer

- READ TWICE the 2010 caccotoire condensed review that many have referred to (~58-60 pages depending on the version)

I meant to review my school notes but never got around to it. In all, I spent ~20 real hours reading this stuff. If short on time, as others have said, the Caccotoire review read back and forth a few times *might* get you by.

I felt like my exam went pretty easy, personally, but DO NOT let that deter you from studying as much as you think you need to.

Hope this helps calm some nerves or answer some questions. Best of luck to everyone taking their board exams!

I do NOT have any study items to sell/distribute nor do I have any specific advice other than above. I.E. Please do not PM me with such requests.

Sorry for the obnoxiousness above -- just trying to avoid a million PM alerts & questions I cannot answer (i.e. discussing specific exam contents)

Hmm... I read the Cacciatore Kaplan guide three times and passed the first try with a borderline passing score (78), so I don't know if reading the guide itself is sufficient enough to pass for everyone, although I am out of state. I did not go through any other books though.

Hmm... I read the Cacciatore Kaplan guide three times and passed the first try with a borderline passing score (78), so I don't know if reading the guide itself is sufficient enough to pass for everyone, although I am out of state. I did not go through any other books though.

Read over the Cacciatore guide 4 times the last month. Took the test on Monday and passed with a score of 90.

However, I do NOT recommend only reading this 59 page guide alone. It did not cover about half of the questions I had on the test (like emergency medication kits, store license renewal return before sales... etc). I had to make educated guesses on more than 50% of the test. I would never recommend taking that much chance on a critical test.

I would recommend this study guide as the center piece, but then read a comprehensive law review once after that. That should create a relatively good safety margin.

I have been studying what I could print off the TX board of pharmacy website, but am getting very overwhelmed with all the reading material. Is there a study guide that I could use to help condense the massive amount of reading? I have heard of a 59-page 'Kaplan guide' written by Gary Cacciatore. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice and/or assistance anyone would be willing to provide. Thank you so much in advance.

The Guide to Texas and Federal Pharmacy & Drug Law Manual - 7th Edition (published May 2010) you can order it thru:
http://centerforexcellence.txpharmacy.org/index.cfm?pg=TexasPharmacyLaw

I am anxiously awaiting the ATT from NABP to take the TExas MPJE. I have completed all the necessary paperwork. The TSBP website says it takes up to 6 weeks and not to call until after then if I don't hear from them. Does it really take that long?? Can anyone share their experience?? This is a painful wait as my employment depends upon it.:(

I am anxiously awaiting the ATT from NABP to take the TExas MPJE. I have completed all the necessary paperwork. The TSBP website says it takes up to 6 weeks and not to call until after then if I don't hear from them. Does it really take that long?? Can anyone share their experience?? This is a painful wait as my employment depends upon it.:(
I want to take Texas mpje as well, could you please tell me where to buy those books? My email address is [email protected]. Thanks

A friend of mine registered after graduating at the end of august and was told the same, but he got his ATT sooner than the 6 weeks. Study for the exam while you wait, then you can take it once you receive your ATT. GL!!!

Just took the Texas MPJE on 12/03/2011..Not too bad, except it's a CAT (Computer Adaptive Test), which makes you feel like you totally flunked it, when you walk out. G.Cattiatore's Kaplan Guide 59pg review is about all you need. Read over it for about 2 days, and passed.

Everyone keeps mentioning this 59 page review, but I have yet to find it. I failed by 4 points on my first attempt and would like to do better my next time. I read through the Lexis Nexis book (about a week prep time), but it gets too confusing. I need something more concise. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

There is going to be a book published some time in May that is all you need to study for the Texas MPJE. It will be available on amazon.com.

Texas MPJE is not a tough test.The only thing is you need right material.I finish the test in an hour and was confident that I will pass it.It was very easy.

Hello,
Please could you tell me where to buy Kaplan guide written by Gary Cacciatore book .
Please i really appreciate your help
Thanks

I don't know how much time you have left before your exam, but if you have a few weeks and can get hold of the Kaplan guide written by Gary Cacciatore, you'll have a superb summary that covers about 85-90% of the material you need to know for the test in an updated and much quicker read (59 pages vs. the billion or so pages that comprise the book). The 85-90% figure was one given to me by a friend who recently took the TX MPJE.

Cat.

Have a question. I just finished NAPLEX/MPJE in another state, how can I get approval for sitting in TX MPJE since I cannot apply for reciprocity now? Thanks a lot

Have a question. I just finished NAPLEX/MPJE in another state, how can I get approval for sitting in TX MPJE since I cannot apply for reciprocity now? Thanks a lot

Why can't you apply for reciprocity? Since you just took the naplex, you can do score transfer for $75, available up to 90 days after taking the naplex

Sent from my HTC Evo View 4G using Tapatalk!

I don't know my score yet. And I don't want to do score transfer since I must register first with the current state (there is a specific requirement of Intern hours for Foreign Graduates such like me). All I need is the permission of TX MPJE.

I just Passed my MPJE Texas and used the following to prepare for it.
I am interested in selling them:

1) CD ROM from Pharmacyexam.com consisting of 5 sets of multiple choice questions excellent for preparation of MPJE Texas.

2) Study material from MPJESUCCESS.com consisting of over 70 questions and answers and over 40 MPJE quickcards covering Federal law.

Are there any PRACTICE q's for MPJE that anyone knows of? Besides this previous link on here which seems kinda fishy:rolleyes:

I just graduated from a pharmacy school in New York a couple of weeks ago and intend to practice in Texas. I intend to take the NAPLEX here in NY before relocating to TX and taking the TX MPJE. Is it better that way or should I take the NAPLEX in TX. The whole process with application for licensing seems a little confusing as I do not know if I have to fill out an application for licensing in both states or just for NY to take the NAPLEX. Anyone with information please share. I have read through information on the websites but not sure if I am interpreting it correctly.

Anyone who went to school in a different state and then back to Tx to practice please share how the whole process works. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have a copy of the "Cacciatore 59pg guide". The actual title of the document is "Federal & Texas Pharmacy Law Review".

PM if interested in purchasing it.

I'm looking to take the Texas Law to reciprocate. What do I need to buy and study to pass this test?

Questions.....I'm also reciprocating my license to Texas. I was just wondering if you remember what the process was like since this was posted couple years ago.
I took the TX MPJE last tuesday and found out I passed last friday yay! but I've been checking the pharmacist license verification website and still can't find my name.
Do you remember how long it took before you are assigned a license number and how long for it to become active? Also, on the TX BOP website it mentioned another step to show in front of the board for a semi-interview type of thing before they grant reciprocity. do you remember doing that?? Thanks for the help in advance!

Questions.....I'm also reciprocating my license to Texas. I was just wondering if you remember what the process was like since this was posted couple years ago.
I took the TX MPJE last tuesday and found out I passed last friday yay! but I've been checking the pharmacist license verification website and still can't find my name.
Do you remember how long it took before you are assigned a license number and how long for it to become active? Also, on the TX BOP website it mentioned another step to show in front of the board for a semi-interview type of thing before they grant reciprocity. do you remember doing that?? Thanks for the help in advance!

Really? Semi-interview? I don't remember reading that. I am planning to take tx mpje in fall. What study materials have you used?