Texas premed another "what are my chances" honest advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatoneguy11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so yea i have another thread on the regular Allo-MD thread page. But, it is concerning something completely different. My concern being my freshman year in college was a complete waste. freshman year 24 credit hours = 1.6gpa. I am using grade replacement on the science classes i did poorly in, but as informed on the other thread, the AMCAS does not take grade replacement, they average the scores. So now that i quit the 48hr/wk ER night shift job that I was using to pay for my school and to look great on a med school app (ironic, cuz it just screwed my gpa), I have made As on all of my first exams in calc/chem/history etc. I am doing great this semester etc etc. I calculated that with the grade replacements my GPA would be a 3.6 (assuming i do well) after my sophomore year, so for AMCAS it would be a 2.9 after my sophomore year. My junior year will be duble 18-19 credit hours of classes that i am very strong in math/chem/bios (not a strong humanity-type class person).

**Texas Resident**

EC's and activities:
Many clubs including ACS (american chemical society) and Math etc
Worked a year in the ER, EMT certified.
Research in pseudomonas and will be attending in ACS research in San Fransisco for a full week.

Plenty of community service

Q: Should i apply after i take the MCAT my junior year?
Q: In general, what are my overall chances; opinions, what else should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so yea i have another thread on the regular Allo-MD thread page. But, it is concerning something completely different. My concern being my freshman year in college was a complete waste. freshman year 24 credit hours = 1.6gpa. I am using grade replacement on the science classes i did poorly in, but as informed on the other thread, the AMCAS does not take grade replacement, they average the scores. So now that i quit the 48hr/wk ER night shift job that I was using to pay for my school and to look great on a med school app (ironic, cuz it just screwed my gpa), I have made As on all of my first exams in calc/chem/history etc. I am doing great this semester etc etc. I calculated that with the grade replacements my GPA would be a 3.6 (assuming i do well) after my sophomore year, so for AMCAS it would be a 2.9 after my sophomore year. My junior year will be duble 18-19 credit hours of classes that i am very strong in math/chem/bios (not a strong humanity-type class person).

**Texas Resident**

EC's and activities:
Many clubs including ACS (american chemical society) and Math etc
Worked a year in the ER, EMT certified.
Research in pseudomonas and will be attending in ACS research in San Fransisco for a full week.

Plenty of community service

Q: Should i apply after i take the MCAT my junior year?
Q: In general, what are my overall chances; opinions, what else should i do?

It depends what your grade point average actually is after your junior year and what your MCAT is. Also, you can't just quit your job and do no more ECs until you apply or your app will be missing a lot. You're right in saying that working in an ER will be a + on your app, though. You're on the right track EC-wise and know what you need to do grade-wise.

Now, maybe I read your post wrong, but it seems you are counting on TMDSAS to accept grade replacements for re-taking classes. Unfortunately, I don't think they do this. All your grades will count to your GPA.

Your overall chances now aren't really relevant, there is so much depending on what your GPA, MCAT and ECs look like in 2 years. So, for now, get the best grades you can, do well on the MCAT and get some more ECs in (perhaps volunteering, club leadership, extend your research, etc.).

Awesome aggie08. thanks a ton. What i was saying is that as far as my school is concerned my GPA will be a 3.6 after spring semester. but as far as the AMCAS is concerned it will be a 2.9. So that terrible freshman year will not take me out of the run. Im glad to hear that haha. I will do my best to get more involved and will be sure and study vigorously. Thanks again for your time to comment and giving me an optomistic outlook.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome aggie08. thanks a ton. What i was saying is that as far as my school is concerned my GPA will be a 3.6 after spring semester. but as far as the AMCAS is concerned it will be a 2.9. So that terrible freshman year will not take me out of the run. Im glad to hear that haha. I will do my best to get more involved and will be sure and study vigorously. Thanks again for your time to comment and giving me an optomistic outlook.

And don't forget, while MD schools don't accept grade replacements DO schools do factor them in like your undergrad does. So you are not out of the running by any means.

ah yes confused thank you for that. that is a very refreshing point haha :). However, I am pretty sure so far that i want to do a general surgical residency. Isnt the chance of DOs getting in to those pretty low? Nevertheless it is a refreshing point, better med school than no med school.

And don't forget, while MD schools don't accept grade replacements DO schools do factor them in like your undergrad does. So you are not out of the running by any means.

In general this is true, but he's a Texas resident and I actually think that TCOM does NOT allow grade replacements. I could definitely be wrong, but I'm about 95% sure they do everything the same as the rest of the TMDSAS.