Texas Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dochuffman

cath
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear what people think about the Texas IM programs. How would you rank them, fellowship opp., malignancy, pros and cons etc. I already have an idea how I am going to rank them but would like to hear other opinions from applicants/people alreadu in their repective programs.

Members don't see this ad.

dochuffman said:
Would love to hear what people think about the Texas IM programs. How would you rank them, fellowship opp., malignancy, pros and cons etc. I already have an idea how I am going to rank them but would like to hear other opinions from applicants/people alreadu in their repective programs.

Where have you gotten calls from?

1. UTSW
2. Baylor Houston
3. UT Houston
4. UT San Antonio

Don't know where the rest of them stand.

Got interviews at UTSW, Baylor-Dallas, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, Scott and White, UTMB, Presby, Methodist, Brackenridge. I want to do cards. I have a couple of interviews outside of Texas as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to med school in texas. My rank would probably go:

1. UTSW - you will work hardest here though
2. Baylor - very solid, lots of fellowship opportunities in texas med center
3. Baylor Dallas - excellent community program with pretty good fellowship placement
4. UTMB=UTSA
5. UT Houston

You will have a difficult time getting a cards fellowship coming out of any of the other texas programs.

Interesting rank list. Suprised to see Houston last. I know they were on probation but they are off now. I believe it was because of work hours and some minor other things. Not unlike some other big name programs (i.e. Hopkins). I think the applicant pool there is alot better since they are off probation. The Texas med center is great so I think there is no limit to the opportunities. S&W you have a great chance at cards at their program but probably not at other places. I would agree it is more difficult to get cards at the other institutions. I think all the programs listed in the previous post are great. Anyone else with opinions?

dochuffman said:
Interesting rank list. Suprised to see Houston last. I know they were on probation but they are off now. I believe it was because of work hours and some minor other things. Not unlike some other big name programs (i.e. Hopkins). I think the applicant pool there is alot better since they are off probation. The Texas med center is great so I think there is no limit to the opportunities. S&W you have a great chance at cards at their program but probably not at other places. I would agree it is more difficult to get cards at the other institutions. I think all the programs listed in the previous post are great. Anyone else with opinions?

TMC is great, but I got the impression that Baylor (Houston) rotated through all the major hospitals while UTH was Hermann and PMNR only? Please correct me on this if Im wrong.

They rotate through Herman, LBJ (county), St. Lukes and MD Anderson.
Baylor rotates through Ben Taub (county), St. Lukes and the VA. I don't think they rotate through the Methodist any longer. Although there is some rumor that they have resolved their differences.

dochuffman said:
They rotate through Herman, LBJ (county), St. Lukes and MD Anderson.
Baylor rotates through Ben Taub (county), St. Lukes and the VA. I don't think they rotate through the Methodist any longer. Although there is some rumor that they have resolved their differences.

That's interesting, because I was interviewing at MD Anderson and was asking what medical school they were affiliated with (since I had heard Baylor students doing psychiatry rotations there, and same with UTH). And the administrators told me neither, though they do regularly do away/research rotations for both schools

When I interviewed their the schedule for first year has a required month at MD Anderson. Of course you could go there on electives as well. I'm sure Baylor has opportunities there also. I would also argue that Herman and LBJ (technically outside the TMC) are "major" hospitals. My point is that both programs are good and can tap the resources of the TMC (with endless pathology and fellowship opp), although Baylor does get more recognition
and may carry more weight getting you a fellowship. Again, I think that most of the programs in Texas are good and give similar training with certain differences. I have had great experiences with several of the Texas programs. Don't get me wrong though, I do not want to take away from the great opportunity to go to a high powered prestigious institution such as UTSW. Anyone else want to comment on any of the other programs?

Any residents out there from any of the Texas programs (or people "in the know) xare to comment about any of the Texas programs or Emory. What's it like being a resident at theses places? Talk, talk... let the information flow :laugh:

of the places I went in texas

1. UTSW by far
2. Baylor Houston
3. Baylor Dallas
4. UT Houston

Im a 4th year student at UTSW.
I can honestly say it is one of the best IM programs in the country in terms of hands on training.
I went to hopkins, uchicago, northwestern, michigan, UWashington, beth isreal and have yet to find a place that matches the hands on training over three years that you get at utsw.
but along with that means a tougher workload, fewer time as an intern for electives (interns have either wards or unit (q4 overnight, taking crosscover the wholetime) for all months except 1 month of ER and2 weeks on diabetes.) That is the worst schedule for an intern i have seen anywhere. but i think that once you get through it you come out prepared as well as anyone in the country and throughout your training there is a ton of autonomy.
but utsw hasn't done as well in recent fellowship matches as they should have esp. cards and GI. the rumor is that is cause the cards people all applied to only top programs. but those are the programs that utsw residents deserve to get because they are definitelytrained well enough, but they aren't getting them cause they may be losing out on some nationwide name recognition andthe tough schedule is not very flexible to do much research

I have heard UT-H has a better IM program that Baylor-Dallas, and that UTSA is very close to UT-H in training.

I really don't get the impression that UTSW is much better than Baylor (Houston) from what Ive heard (Im across the street, so I dont claim to know anything more than what I hear on the wards). I know the USNWR rankings make it look like there is a huge gap in training, but Baylor's hospitals are extremely nice and have very good faculty from my interactions with them. I dont think you can go wrong at either place, but I think saying UTSW is better than the other programs by far is a huge stretch.

kidd said:
of the places I went in texas

1. UTSW by far
2. Baylor Houston
3. Baylor Dallas
4. UT Houston

Im a 4th year student at UTSW.
I can honestly say it is one of the best IM programs in the country in terms of hands on training.
I went to hopkins, uchicago, northwestern, michigan, UWashington, beth isreal and have yet to find a place that matches the hands on training over three years that you get at utsw.
but along with that means a tougher workload, fewer time as an intern for electives (interns have either wards or unit (q4 overnight, taking crosscover the wholetime) for all months except 1 month of ER and2 weeks on diabetes.) That is the worst schedule for an intern i have seen anywhere. but i think that once you get through it you come out prepared as well as anyone in the country and throughout your training there is a ton of autonomy.
but utsw hasn't done as well in recent fellowship matches as they should have esp. cards and GI. the rumor is that is cause the cards people all applied to only top programs. but those are the programs that utsw residents deserve to get because they are definitelytrained well enough, but they aren't getting them cause they may be losing out on some nationwide name recognition andthe tough schedule is not very flexible to do much research