Texas Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texas2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So haven't seen a ton info about the texas programs including...TCH, UTHouston, UTSW/Childrens Dallas, UT San Antonio, Scott and White, any other program I can't think of. Looking for info on indentity of program ie malignant, laid back. How competitive, fellowship match...things that med students obsess about. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I am suprised no responses this close to the match and interview season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey sorry, don't check this often. I can only speak of UTSW-Dallas and UTSW-Austin. Although I know that Texas Children's (Baylor) is a great program too, but I have heard it is HUGE and a little more intense.

UTSW-Dallas: This was one of my favorite programs, but opted to match closer to family. It is a beautiful hospital with a big residency program, but I got the feeling that it is incredibly supportive. I am hoping to do a fellowship and they had me meet with the chair to discuss a 6year combined residency/fellowship. It is a big enough program that they can accomodate things like this. The call schedule didn't seem out of the ordinary and all of my interviews were incredibly nice and laid back. This also will be the nicest interview you do. They put you up at the nicest Hilton hotel I have ever stayed at and provide all your transportation to and from interview. Honestly can't speak highly enough...think it would be a fantastic place to train.

UTSW-Austin: They recently became affiliated with UTSW. They have a brand new hospital that is really nice and very earth friendly! It feels a little less academic, which may change with this new affiliation. I think it is great for gen peds, but with Dallas and Houston so close, I would be concerned that all the MAJOR stuff (hearts, etc.) would go to these centers. The residents were very nice and seemed to be a little more laid back with time to enjoy Austin which is a great city.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Anyone interview/rotate/is a resident at UT houston or TCH.

I'm a Baylor resident (at mostly TCH).

We do have a huge program (~46 interns).

This has obvious advantages: lots of opportunities to switch schedules, lots of diversity of residents' backgrounds, almost always around to be your Spanish translator...haha. You can for sure find people who are similar to you and that enjoy doing the things you do.

disadvantages: Hard to get to know everyone well since you don't work closely with every single person (well, maybe by 3rd year...). Still feels like a family environment, but I imagine it would feel more like a family if there weren't 150+ people to hang out with all the time.

2 hospitals: TCH is incredible and huge and full of rare and fascinating diseases and well-known yet approachable faculty. Lots of fellows around, they do run a lot of the more complex issues on their specialty patients (i.e. I do not by myself choose which IV antibiotics to start on the 14yo CF patient coming in for her exacerbation who has a history of MDR-PA and MRSA and VRE). Having the fellows around is great for teaching, since they tend to be very down-to-earth and they're always just a phone call or a 10-foot job away.

Ben Taub is the community county hospital, Level 1 trauma center, but isn't too busy for pediatrics. It's nice because you feel more autonomy there and because the volume is lower so you can take more time to think and read about the decisions you're making. the healthy majority of the pediatric patients/parents are Spanish-speaking.

Overall, I'm very happy, the residents are pretty happy, the program is not malignant, the program director is cool (but has a very dry sense of humor so don't be alarmed when he says something and you can't tell if he's serious). I think if you like a big program and a big hospital and you learn by volume and learn by doing (rather than sitting and reading), then BCM definitely deserves a look.

Oh, the weather in the summer is awful. Hot and humid. Winter is nice, though

Thanks, Generic, you just saved me a long post. ;)

BCM is a very good program. You'll see anything and everything. Tons of opportunities to do research, investigate subspecialties, and access to some great general peds teaching from our hospitalist service.

I'm a third year medical student hoping to stay close to home in Texas. If ya'll dont mind me being that annoying med student, what are some qualities your program is looking for that will help me land an interview or even better, a match for residency? I have a better than average step score and I think my pediatric evaluations are pretty good. I have little to no research experience but perhaps I can work this in if it is necessary for these programs!

Thanks!

Question, a relative in medicine brought up some of Baylor's recent issues and the idea that Texas Children's may split from Baylor altogether. He is a bit of an alarmist but I do know that there is at least some degree of truth. I was wondering if anyone knew how unsteady the relationship is and if there is any discussion regarding the residency program in the case that they do sever ties.