PCCM Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carolinagirl007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare UTSW, UT San Antonio and UT Houston Pediatric Critical Care fellowships? Is UT Austin getting a fellowship? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone compare UTSW, UT San Antonio and UT Houston Pediatric Critical Care fellowships? Is UT Austin getting a fellowship? Thank you.
UTSW is the biggest of those programs. Not that UTSW has huge cardiac volumes, but I doubt UT Houston does any cardiac beyond PDAs and ASDs/VSDs. I don’t know about Austin but I would imagine it is similar (I didn’t even know they had a fellowship program). If that matters to you, then I guess you could consider it. The bottom line though is that ever program follows the ACGME guidelines and you get the same clinical training wherever you go, put in lines, turn up ventilators, Turn down vasoactive, etc. etc.

UTSW is the biggest of those programs. Not that UTSW has huge cardiac volumes, but I doubt UT Houston does any cardiac beyond PDAs and ASDs/VSDs. I don’t know about Austin but I would imagine it is similar (I didn’t even know they had a fellowship program). If that matters to you, then I guess you could consider it. The bottom line though is that ever program follows the ACGME guidelines and you get the same clinical training wherever you go, put in lines, turn up ventilators, Turn down vasoactive, etc. etc.
I'm a senior resident at UT Houston and what you just said about the program is wrong. UT Houston has all sorts of imaginable cardiac procedures except for transplant, our complexity level is one of the highest due to the quality of surgeons there. Date TBD, but there will be a dedicated CVICU separated from the PICU.

For the OP, I can't compare the three programs, but I can give you some insight from what I experienced as a resident at UT Houston. Just PM me.

~K

I'm a senior resident at UT Houston and what you just said about the program is wrong. UT Houston has all sorts of imaginable cardiac procedures except for transplant, our complexity level is one of the highest due to the quality of surgeons there. Date TBD, but there will be a dedicated CVICU separated from the PICU.

For the OP, I can't compare the three programs, but I can give you some insight from what I experienced as a resident at UT Houston. Just PM me.

~K
Okay, I haven’t been in that area for over a decade. Glad you added some clarification.