~*~*~Texas Re-applicants!!~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DianaUT06

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Thought I'd start a thread for those of us who need a do-over after this year's TMDSAS sort-of-a-match-but-not-really. :rolleyes: Post up your questions about re-applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start it off...since we have to re-apply starting May 1st, what can we do between now and then to improve our apps?? Start throwing out some ideas guys...volunteering, shadow doctors, what else?

EDIT: Nice, armybound! You beat me to it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll start it off...since we have to re-apply starting May 1st, what can we do between now and then to improve our apps?? Start throwing out some ideas guys...volunteering, shadow doctors, what else?

EDIT: Nice, armybound! You beat me to it :)

I sent you a PM about what I did as a re-app and what I have learned!

personally, I'm working on a PS that I hope will be great. I'm getting research experience and a master's degree. I'm also shadowing (a little), teaching, and am thinking of applying to this summer research program at Scott & White

what's really scaring me, though, is my LORs. I know my committee rec wasn't great last time, and they've told me they'd just add an addendum instead of giving me a new interview and letter. so I don't know how good my LORs will be. hopefully my PS makes up for it.

I think i'm gonna try to run the gamut... volunteer, work, and take some classes. I'll be damned if they can then tell me i dont have enough EC's.

I think i'm gonna try to run the gamut... volunteer, work, and take some classes. I'll be damned if they can then tell me i dont have enough EC's.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...you'd think our EC's would carry us thru. Does anyone known somebody that did UNT's masters in medical sciences program? I'd be really interested in what they thought about it...although my mom thinks it's way too much work to do a masters before med school (she would know, she's been thru it). So I'll probably end up taking some public health courses, volunteer, maybe find a doctor to shadow/lab to work in at southwestern (since i'm probably moving to dallas).

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...you'd think our EC's would carry us thru. Does anyone known somebody that did UNT's masters in medical sciences program? I'd be really interested in what they thought about it...although my mom thinks it's way too much work to do a masters before med school (she would know, she's been thru it). So I'll probably end up taking some public health courses, volunteer, maybe find a doctor to shadow/lab to work in at southwestern (since i'm probably moving to dallas).

Your prolly better off not doing a masters, unless you think you can 4.0 it. I personally think texas schools favor EC"s alot more then grades and mcat. Why else woudl they skip over so many qualified applicants this year, considering many of us who are skippped over have stats that parallel or exceed the national averages. When it's all said and done, i'm guessing most texas schools will be sub-national on the mcat like they usually are.

I personally think those high gpas and mcats they are throwing around in the other thread are seriously inflated, and arent accurate of the classes that will matriculate into those schools. The adcoms with those numbers in hand are probably trying to justify to themselves how they can screw so many people during the match.

Whew... that was nice to get off my chest... i'm not bitter...

DrVanNostran you're a multiple reapp right? what did you do to boost yourself when you were in our shoes? what do you think helped, and what did not help?

I am actually going to gain texas residency...i hear it is useful...when can we start working on our TMDSAS apps?

Members don't see this ad :)
from the front page: For those who will be applying for entry year 2008 beginning in May, TMDSAS will begin accepting transcripts and evaluation letters on or about May 2nd. Do not have these materials mailed to TMDSAS until you have requested your Personal ID Number (PIN). You can request your PIN and start the application on May 1st. All transcripts must be accompanied by the TMDSAS Transcript Request Form.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/

sounds like you can submit your app on the 1st if you have it completed and you can send LORs and transcripts on the 2nd.

I didn't realize that you can get a probationary certificate to teach while taking your certification classes! That's awesome :) I can just see myself teaching freshman bio, muahaha ...those poor unsuspecting 9th graders ;) Definitely considering this!

damn those EMT-B classes require completed Hepatitis-B vaccines...which takes 6 months..:eek:

Anyone have issues with thier HPAC? Last year they sent my LOR a MONTH after I requested them and didn't even send it to Baylor though I specifically requested it. Baylor emailed me in November to tell me they didn't have them. :eek: Needless to say I had 4 interviews in November but didn't match.

The advisor also recommended me taking the MCAT even though I didn't feel prepared with the reply that, "You can always re-take it".

Anyone have issues with thier HPAC? Last year they sent my LOR a MONTH after I requested them and didn't even send it to Baylor though I specifically requested it. Baylor emailed me in November to tell me they didn't have them. :eek: Needless to say I had 4 interviews in November but didn't match.

The advisor also recommended me taking the MCAT even though I didn't feel prepared with the reply that, "You can always re-take it".

if you reapply you can use interfolio, an independent LOR service.

Yes, I personally wanted to burn down UT's HPO office this year...they lost 2 out of 4 letters and I had to have them resent. So, what do we do if we've already graduated?!? I assume I won't be able to use the HPO office (but I emailed them to ask)...and the explanation on TMDSAS's website is really confusing, it makes it sound like I can only have 3 letters total if I don't use an HPO office??? WTF

Straight from the horse's (TMDSAS) mouth:
"Applicants are required to submit either one Health Profession's Committee Evaluation Packet or two individual evaluation letters."

They also mention they will send ONE more additional letter...umm, but I had 4 letters this past cycle? What the hell...so I somehow have to send the fourth letter individually to the schools? What a hassle. :mad:

R U sure you cant use your Health Profession Comittee again? That would seem like the easiest thing to to.

R U sure you cant use your Health Profession Comittee again? That would seem like the easiest thing to to.

No, I'm not positive yet. I just shot them an email...I really hope I still can! But I'm not exactly a student anymore...

Yet another probelm I forsee is that health profession committees usually dont meet until after may, which is wayyy past the may 1st start date. Hopefully they can use my old letter with a revision or 2 and wont have to meet to discuss me all over again.

i can't believe its just been a week since the match... yikes feels like a long time...i was depressed for like a few days but now im fine....i think...:oops:

anyhow yeah please spout any ideas former-reapplicants-that-are-got-in. i could use some of yalls wisdom :)

.....and TMDSAS better have big fat section just for reapplicants.

Yet another probelm I forsee is that health profession committees usually dont meet until after may, which is wayyy past the may 1st start date. Hopefully they can use my old letter with a revision or 2 and wont have to meet to discuss me all over again.

Do you need new LOR's? I was thinking about keeping the same HPAC I sent last year and just add two LOR from doctors at my job.

Do you need new LOR's? I was thinking about keeping the same HPAC I sent last year and just add two LOR from doctors at my job.

That's exactly my plan, but would somehow like those new LOR's to be factored into my committee letter that was written for this cycle. That's probably not gonna happen. They will most likely jsut be place in the old packet like you said.

No, I'm not positive yet. I just shot them an email...I really hope I still can! But I'm not exactly a student anymore...

I waited a year after I graduated (did all the HPAC stuff as a senior) and now I'm two years out and will still use the same one. Usually they save your file for reapplication anyway.

DrVanNostran you're a multiple reapp right? what did you do to boost yourself when you were in our shoes? what do you think helped, and what did not help?

-Earned a MPH (4.0/4.0)
-Public Health Internship
-Hospital Volunteering
-Improved MCAT (30)
-Other small things like teach

I think what I am lacking is a STELLAR clinical experience to talk about in interviews. I have some ok things, but nothing to really impress anyone. So I would suggest to everyone, to get one great experience that just sticks out.

I can't believe I will have to do this all over again :oops:

I can't believe I will have to do this all over again :oops:

It's ok buddy. Were all here for you. :) I had a talk with another friend of mine at UTH, she said something that I'm really taking to heart...just try to do something that will make you happy this year, don't do it just to help your application. Cause you know what? We've done enough already, and ESPECIALLY you DrVanNostran! ;)

Yes, I personally wanted to burn down UT's HPO office this year...they lost 2 out of 4 letters and I had to have them resent. So, what do we do if we've already graduated?!? I assume I won't be able to use the HPO office (but I emailed them to ask)...and the explanation on TMDSAS's website is really confusing, it makes it sound like I can only have 3 letters total if I don't use an HPO office??? WTF

I recommend not to always take the HPO's advice.... I didn't get in last year, so I went in and told them I wanted to take the August 2006 MCAT. Their reply was that I would HIGHLY unlikely get in for the 2007 entering class.

I didn't take their advice, took the MCAT again (third time)...and got in!

i can't believe its just been a week since the match... yikes feels like a long time...i was depressed for like a few days but now im fine....i think...:oops:

anyhow yeah please spout any ideas former-reapplicants-that-are-got-in. i could use some of yalls wisdom :)

.....and TMDSAS better have big fat section just for reapplicants.

I was a reapplicant for the 2007 cycle. What I did to improve my app:
1. retake MCAT (increased to a 33)
2. two additional LOR’s
3. graduate from my undergrad with a high GPA
4. volunteer
5. research assistant job, got some publications
6. I did my PS all over again…and had a bunch of people edit it (I went to a local community college advisor since I was no longer in the same city as my undergrad school)

Hope this helps!

You can use the commitee letter another time. It's good for an additional year. I graduated in 2006 (and didn't get in for the 2006 entering class), so I reused the committee letter. I added an additional LOR to the committee and had my PI mail an additonal letter to the schools.

Here's a question. I applied this year (probably later that I should have), had 4 interviews but no acceptance. I was thinking about taking the masters TCOM program, but how helpful will that be if my application will be done before I even start class??? Also I have a great job in the ER where I get TONS of experience. I'd rather work but feel like my GPA is what really needs improvement. Any advice???

BTW my science GPA is a 3.2 (due to one bad semester) and MCAT of 31.

Here's a question. I applied this year (probably later that I should have), had 4 interviews but no acceptance. I was thinking about taking the masters TCOM program, but how helpful will that be if my application will be done before I even start class??? Also I have a great job in the ER where I get TONS of experience. I'd rather work but feel like my GPA is what really needs improvement. Any advice???

BTW my science GPA is a 3.2 (due to one bad semester) and MCAT of 31.

Sounds to me like you already know what's the problem with your app. I think a 3.2 is pretty low, and it would serve you well to bring it up, or at least show them you are trying to bring it up. Also, i think that if the ER service you are talking about was on your app this year already, you wont get that many bonus points just continuing to do the same thing for next years app.

Hi, I kinda need some advice and I knew theres no better place then sdn for that! I currently have a 3.9 GPA at UT austin(probably will drop to a 3.8 after this semester) and a 31 MCAT. I have been doing research in a Biochem lab for about 6 months now, and I have some previous Psych research. I got 3 interviews this year and am currently in the bottom third on UTSW waitlist, on the UTMB waitlist and have not heard from UTH. The people who I have talked to have told me to plan as if I will not get in and that I should find a research position somewhere. Theres only one problem I hate research! How can I improve my application and what are my options other than research? Thanks in advance.
What is your clinical experience like? There's always phlebotomy certification and I hear that pays decently along with good clinical experience.

I can't believe I will have to do this all over again

Well, don't give up now. I did it 4 times and I'm finally in. If this is what you really want, you shouldn't give up hope. Everyone is different. You have done a lot to improve. Sometimes, it is just not our time yet (IMO). Keep applying. I did a Master's too but in Biology so I could get all the science classes to make up my Science GPA.I worked in both a clinical lab and basic science lab. I don't know if the MPH courses actually factor into your science GPA.

My advice to everyone here is to contact the individual schools and ask them to review your file. TCOM and UTMB are very good with this. I know I followed TCOM's recommendations to the teeth and I got accepted (although I am not going there :oops: I really loved that school).

-If you live close to one of the med schools, I'll advise you to make an appt with the Dean of admissions and go there personally to get acquainted.
-E-mail the dean all the time just to say hi (always reintroduce yourself). I know, I hated to do that but I kept at it. When you submit your app, e-mail or call the dean again to let them know how much you are interested in their school.
- If you get an interview, don't forget to write a thank you note not only to your interviewers but also to the Dean. I can not stress this point well enough. I know this is what made the difference this year. Last year when I didn't get into one of the schools I interviewed at, I actually drove to the school that same day the match results came out. I was told the dean wouldn't see me but I waited and waited and waited until she could not ignore me any longer. Then she said something like "I wish you had shown this much persistence before the match." Although I am not going to that school this year, I know that persistence showed everywhere I interviewed. Show some perseverance and persistence.They will tell you like it is. Each school is different.

Granted, there's not enough time to make any changes on your apps but you there are other things you can do.

1. rewrite your PS (not completely but make some changes here and there)
2. Ask for LORs from other people if you are not confident in those who wrote the previous LORs or even your HPAC. (I only used my HPAC the first and second times and that was it. I had no hope in them. I started getting interviews when I asked other people to write mine).
Remember, it is not the quantity of letters but the quality. (I submitted 3 letters this year one from my employer, one from my mentor/boss, and one from one of my profs.
I got interviews and was even accepted to my top choice school with only two of the letters in.

To be continued.....Until next time, KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!!

I was a re-applicant this year, and I got accepted at UTMB and TCOM the 2nd time around before the match. My first time applying I assumed just because I had a great GPA and good MCATs, I would get in. I was totally wrong. I believe the difference for me this year is that I found things that I was truly passionate about doing. I got a job doing research part-time, and I also started working in wildlife rehabilitation full-time. My wildlife job has little to do with people medicine, but I sold myself in interviews talking about the compassion and non-verbal communication skills it takes to care for injured and orphaned wildlife. Additionally, my wildlife job gave me some really interesting/cool/disgusting stories about infectious diseases that my interviewers just loved hearing. I completely rewrote my PS and really focused on why I wanted to be doctor. I was very specific the 2nd time around about my goals as a future physician. Finally, I took a few post-grad classes in subjects that were relevant to my future goals...I want to be an infectious disease doctor, so I took pathogenic MBIO and cellular pathology (both undergrad classes, so I didn't have to start a master's program). Honestly, I have loved my year off, and I feel that I have grown so much over the last year. For those of you re-applying, just keep working and try to find ways to make your app stick out.

Texas reapplicant here. MCAT on the 11th. Otherwise applying much earlier, to more schools, and beefing up the community activities. Good luck everyone.

Do any of yall know if it is okay to use 2 science rec letters from last years app cycle with a new rec letter for this year's app cycle? Or should they all be updated?