Texas Residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ActualName

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended school in Texas from middle school through my junior year. The summer after my junior year my family moved to Florida and I finished my senior year there. I am currently attending a public university in Texas, where I have a scholarship that grants me instate tuition. I count as a Florida resident because my mom claims me. How does this affect chances at medical schools in Texas? Is there any way I can become a Texas resident?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not unless you or your claiming parent lives in Texas for a year.

You'll be asked, "Did you pay in-state tuition because you were a non-resident who received a waiver allowing you to pay-in-state tuition?"

I attended school in Texas from middle school through my junior year. The summer after my junior year my family moved to Florida and I finished my senior year there. I am currently attending a public university in Texas, where I have a scholarship that grants me instate tuition. I count as a Florida resident because my mom claims me. How does this affect chances at medical schools in Texas? Is there any way I can become a Texas resident?

You will have to establish domicile in Texas. But once you do so, you lose your Florida residency.

If you decide not to try for Texas residency, your ties to Texas might put you at an advantage compared to OOS applicants without any ties, but you will need good stats as only 10% of the spots go to OOS students.

https://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/residency.html

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, October 1; and
Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, October 1, by doing one of the following:
Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment) - Gainful employment is employment that provides an income that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual's tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week
Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
Own and operate a business in Texas
Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas