Texas resident with 29 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitehouses23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my mcat score back. I'm planning on all Texas schools.
PS=8
VR=11
BS=10
Total=29. I was averaging 29-30, but that 8 in PS is throwing me off. Usually I score in the 9-11 range. Still not sure if I should retake...

science GPA= 3.58
total GPA= 3.71

Standard amount of volunteering/shadowing.

I'm just not sure if I should still aim for this cycle because of my mcat score (is 8 on ps a huge red flag?). Should I retake it and try again for next cycle? I'm already processed through TMDSAS, but not complete at any schools yet. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
apply now to every TX med school except baylor and you should be fine. 29 isnt a deal breaker even if you were a 27 or 28 you'd have a good chance. just go for it. you're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. A 28 MCAT is where the acceptance rate starts to drop off, so you're OK this cycle with a 29. (If you don't have an acceptance by the 2/2015 match, then start studying for an early spring retake.)

Your GPA is also plenty good enough.

Hard to tell where you stand with "Standard amount of volunteering/shadowing" but this is an area where you can improve significantly prior to interviewing in the fall. Gauge your current competitiveness here (list as much detail as you're comfortable with) and fill inn the areas where you are less strong. If you're truly well-covered, then pick the activity you enjoy most or where you think you can pull the most meaningful interview discussion points and really hammer it over this summer.

From a strict numbers perspective, for Texas, you seem like an "OK" candidate. Use your ECs to make them look past the numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm feeling pretty confident with my extracurriculars, but I'm going to definitely put in more time volunteering for the rest of this summer. You guys lowered my stress level significantly, thanks!

Thanks so much for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm feeling pretty confident with my extracurriculars, but I'm going to definitely put in more time volunteering for the rest of this summer. You guys lowered my stress level significantly, thanks!
I have the same MCAT score!! I've been debating whether retaking it too. And by the same I mean, exactly the same. I've heard that bombing the verbal is a red flag, but maybe that was selective hearing on my part. Does anyone have suggestions for a similar MCAT and GPA but... a resident of nowhere? I've moved around too much over the past few years and though I have roots in Montana I can't apply for graduate school as a resident. (but I can apply for undergrad as a resident...)

Hey guys, just got my mcat score back. I'm planning on all Texas schools.
PS=8
VR=11
BS=10
Total=29. I was averaging 29-30, but that 8 in PS is throwing me off. Usually I score in the 9-11 range. Still not sure if I should retake...

science GPA= 3.58
total GPA= 3.71

Standard amount of volunteering/shadowing. My main selling point on my app is that I completed my senior thesis a year early. It was a clinical study that I created and conducted on my own in a third world country as part of a medical missions trip.

I'm just not sure if I should still aim for this cycle because of my mcat score (is 8 on ps a huge red flag?). Should I retake it and try again for next cycle? I'm already processed through TMDSAS, but not complete at any schools yet. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Should be ok- give them a reason to look past scores through your PS.